Bedbug scare all over the news! AGAIN!

jeanettep

Please don't criticize me for starting this thread, but bedbugs are on the news this morning -- appearing at hotels, stores, libraries, movie theaters, cruise ships. We are going on the "Spirit" at the end of September and are wondering if recent cruisers have experienced any problems with bedbugs on this ship recently. Hope not! Looking forward to good reports.

Please don't criticize me for starting this thread, but bedbugs are on the news this morning -- appearing at hotels, stores, libraries, movie theaters, cruise ships. We are going on the "Spirit" at the end of September and are wondering if recent cruisers have experienced any problems with bedbugs on this ship recently. Hope not! Looking forward to good reports.

We got bedbugs in a motel in Mazatlan once. They were in our room spraying so fast our heads were spinnin' LOL

I didn't hear of bedbugs on any cruise ships yet. I only heard of problems in NYC. But I guess that could change. I'm not worried though even though we're cruising on the Sun in mid-September.

There's pretty much a bedbug epidemic in NYC these days! On the news they said that 1 out of 10 living in that city gets 'em. My daughter lives there and came to visit me last weekend. On Monday she called me crying (she's still Mommy's little girl!) because she'd just discovered her apartment had bedbugs!! Ewwwwwww. I was doubly horrified because I thought maybe some had hitchhiked here on her stuff.

I immediately stripped all the bed linens-- including the dust ruffle, comforter, and mattress cover-- and washed everything in hot water, but didn't make up the bed again. I threw out the pillows (they were old anyway), and I vacuumed everything thoroughly. Then I called the exterminator I've used before, and had a nice chat with his wife, who told me to go into the guest room in the middle of the night and suddenly turn on the lights-- and look for them scampering away. I've been doing that every night since (I'm not a good sleeper!), and so far, there's no sign. Thank goodness.

My daughter's landlord had her place treated. She also bought mattress/box spring covers, which the exterminator recommended. She's good to go now too, thankfully.

We sail from NY on Jewel in November, and you'd better believe I will check the beds thoroughly for any indications as soon as we arrive! They say to look for black specks (it's their poop-- double eww!) and/or blood smears. <shudder>

There were a couple of news stories last week on the Today show - Ohio is being hit really bad. While there is definitely the eeew factor the expert on the show said they are not a physical health issue because they will not harm you with the exception of the red bumps and itching, but a mental health issue which is becoming a big problem.

Apparently there is a big bedbug problem in the midwest (Ohio) too. Including homes and apartments, not just hotels. The article was quick to say not to blame the hotels/commercial properties because the industry is working hard to fight the problem. And just like norovirus, it's typically caused by a fellow guest that brought it with them.

Sorry, folks, but why would I worry about beg bugs on a cruise ship - or in general? They have been around forever. In a $10 a night third-world motel I would expect some, but on a cruise ship? Either I get some or I don't. There is nothing I can do about it, except stay home. And that is not an option.

Nothing important is happening in August, so the media has to find something: Bed bugs this time. At least it's not Norovirus, even though that is more likely to happen than finding bed bugs.

I didn't hear of bedbugs on any cruise ships yet. I only heard of problems in NYC. But I guess that could change. I'm not worried though even though we're cruising on the Sun in mid-September.

A few years ago there were a couple of lines that passengers reported beg bugs. None of these reports were really ever confirmed. I think in all cases the passengers had been to ports that are also known for sand fleas, like Roatan.

If they do show up, there really isn't too much any of us can do but pray our cabin will be spared.

Nita

Sorry, folks, but why would I worry about beg bugs on a cruise ship - or in general? They have been around forever. In a $10 a night third-world motel I would expect some, but on a cruise ship? Either I get some or I don't. There is nothing I can do about it, except stay home. And that is not an option.

Nothing important is happening in August, so the media has to find something: Bed bugs this time. At least it's not Norovirus, even though that is more likely to happen than finding bed bugs.

Thanks Jay, great post and this is my feelings as well. We spend way too much time worrying about things that 1-will probably never happen and 2-if it does, we really couldn't have done much to stop it.

Happy cruising to you and your wife. Can you believe it has been 5 years since the Jewel???

Nita

Thanks for bringing it into perspective. You're right and I'm not going to worry.

We live in NYC and guess what? We got bed bugs. I found them a week ago. Needless to say, I was very freaked out.:(:(:( I felt ashamed, because of the stigma attached. After thinking about it thoroughly, I realized I had nothing to be ashamed of...my house is spotless, everything is in it's place, there is no clutter.

I went to make our bed and found some on our box spring. They had basically stayed on my DH's side. When we return from traveling, I usually leave our suitcase on the floor next to his side of the bed...

We travel often, both domestically and internationally. I suspect I got them on our last trip to Miami when we stayed in an extended stay type hotel. BTW, it was a 3 star...clean and a nice place to stay. That was the last time we traveled and based on the small amount of insects and the time frame is the reason for my suspicion.

Our local store had a TON of specific products available, where last year there were none...a testament to what is going on in NYC. We got a pet safe spray and sprayed the heck out of everything and so far, no more bugs...we are keeping our fingers crossed that we caught it in time...Next step is to buy the allergen safe mattress and box spring covers that need to stay on for an entire year to be effective. If that doesn't work and the infestation is worse than we think, we will have to go professional, which may run into the thousands of dollars...

BTW, in doing research, I found out that these insects can travel through pipes and crevices...from house to house...block to block. That is why it is such an issue here in NYC, many homes are attached...you are supposed to notify neighbors and post signs if you get an infestation...

My suggestion is to check carefully whenever you check into a hotel or a cabin, check the bed carefully. There are tell tale signs if they are present...they leave this blackish, ashy looking stuff. Look for them beneath the seams of the box spring and mattress...the bugs are slow moving and do not scatter when exposed...you have to unfold the ticking in some cases, that is where they hide. Look for the black stuff...

Keep your fingers crossed for us!

Hey, Nita.

Five years indeed. A year after our cruise we took our grand daughter on a cruise on her 12th birthday. Now her younger brother is nudging us for "his" cruise for his 12th birthday next year. It'll be the Jewel again - if we can get an aft cabin. Stay well. Cheers.

central ohio has a problem in some hotels and apt complexs we manage apts and the state group is trying to get epa to approve the use of proxur for us on bugs but epa is fighting the approval the pesticide is approved for other uses but not for bedbugs yet. so far we have not had any in apts we manage or any cruises. having been in pest control in fla some bugs are harder to get rid of. but ships probably do not have to follow the same restrictions as us. :)

Archived