convertible car rental ?

E's Mommy

I remember in Maui I rented the convertible mustang and had my wife, myslf and our two children who at the time were 11 and 15 and between the four of us and our luggage I am not sure how we got everything in the car but we somehow did. Are you going to have luggage also? Seems like it would be tight based on the experience the four of us had.

Keith

We had the Chrysler Sebring on Oahu and Maui.

I think the backseat would be roomy enough for three small people.

The only thing is, the sides and the backs of the front seats are so

high, our 9 year old could not see anything. :o So one thing to consider

for the kids in your group.

.............not sure about the convertible mustang.

Sad to report that we can't get the mustang...only seat belts for 2 people in the back. I think we might be stuck with a standard size car.

Thanks for the responses. I still have a long while to wait for our vacation. Starting to look into plane tickets :eek:...not pretty!!

The Sebring has only two seatbelts in the back also. I know this as I have one.

Gee I've never thought of checking my car to see but I've probably only have two as well.

Maybe put a call in to the local Thriftys and put the question to them.

Sad to report that we can't get the mustang...only seat belts for 2 people in the back. I think we might be stuck with a standard size car.

fwiw, I rented a convertible Mustang once while visiting Maui. I hated every minute of it. It was hot (in fact, in over a dozen trips to Maui, it was the only time I've ever gotten sunburned!), you couldn't leave the top down when out of the car (surprise showers just pop up, and you want to be sure to keep the car locked anyway), and it was just generally a miserable experience. I kept the darn car for 18 days...but I so wish I would have gone and exchanged it.

Enjoy your trip to my favorite place on Earth!

Aloha!

fwiw, I rented a convertible Mustang once while visiting Maui. I hated every minute of it. It was hot (in fact, in over a dozen trips to Maui, it was the only time I've ever gotten sunburned!), you couldn't leave the top down when out of the car (surprise showers just pop up, and you want to be sure to keep the car locked anyway), and it was just generally a miserable experience. I kept the darn car for 18 days...but I so wish I would have gone and exchanged it.

Enjoy your trip to my favorite place on Earth!

Aloha!

I totally agree. I got upgraded quite a few times to a convertible. Hated it. We kept the car but just left the top up.

I totally agree. I got upgraded quite a few times to a convertible. Hated it. We kept the car but just left the top up.

I'm so sorry you didn't enjoy your convertible. We love ours. In our area of Canada, the sun shines for such a short time I like to get all I can. I have the top down off and on from mid May until mid September. It is a different kind of ride and not for everyone. I can lock the glove box and console so I don't have to put the top up when I park, there's also a valet key for the trunk so that you can't open the trunk if you don't have the ignition key - even if the weather looks funky, it's not that big a problem to put it up.

I guess each to their own. I like the feeling of being in the open, although I do practice my "tuck and roll" in case of emergency.:p

I'm so sorry you didn't enjoy your convertible. We love ours. In our area of Canada, the sun shines for such a short time I like to get all I can. I have the top down off and on from mid May until mid September. It is a different kind of ride and not for everyone. I can lock the glove box and console so I don't have to put the top up when I park, there's also a valet key for the trunk so that you can't open the trunk if you don't have the ignition key - even if the weather looks funky, it's not that big a problem to put it up.

I guess each to their own. I like the feeling of being in the open, although I do practice my "tuck and roll" in case of emergency.:p

I've had a convertible in many places and enjoyed them. Big difference between Canada and Hawaii! jmo

Thanks for the responses. I still have a long while to wait for our vacation. Starting to look into plane tickets :eek:...not pretty!!

I seem to recall that we're on the same cruise and no it's not pretty at all!!

We rented a convertible sedan (can't remember what make, but hubby probably does) in Oaha one time. We checked in at rental car place and they offered convertible for a little extra; my sons (junior high at the time) begged to get it, so we did.

We all ended up crispy after just one day with the top down. I had three kids (one high school and two junior high) in the back seat and I don't remember any concerns with that.

But we turned the car in after the first day and started using the bus. It was too much hassle to deal with parking issues and navigating. We went all over the island on the bus without any problems.

I seem to recall that we're on the same cruise and no it's not pretty at all!!

We will be cruising together....I've looked on fare compare and I don't see flights lower than $880 from now until July 22nd (that's the farthest it goes). Let me know if you have any luck and I'll do the same.:D

Kristina

We will be cruising together....I've looked on fare compare and I don't see flights lower than $880 from now until July 22nd (that's the farthest it goes). Let me know if you have any luck and I'll do the same.:D

Kristina

Air to Hawaii from DFW went down' date=' about $100 roundtrip, a few days ago. Some dates all the way into May and June. (but still $100 more than we paid for the end of May 2010) Keep checking and good luck!!![/font']

We reserved a Mustang convertible also on Kauai, but when we got there they were all taken...just because you reserve one doesn't mean they will have one there for you. We ended up with a Sebring, but due to the spotty rain there we had the top up 3/4 of the time.

gg

• 1 month later...

We loved having a convertible in Hawaii. It is so easy and effortless to put the top up or down with the press of a button whenever needed as the showers start or stop.

I guess we old-timers really appreciate the convertibles these days because we still remember our first convertible years ago when you had to get out, crawl into the back seat and zip or unzip the back window. Every now and then the mechanism to raise or lower the top wouldn't work and you had to pull it up or down manually. You also had to open and close clamps manually each time to attach or release the top.

(I know, I know. This is like your grandparents telling you how easy you have it these days because when they were your age they had to walk to school in the snow 10 miles each way barefoot, uphill in both directions.)

Archived