Car Rental - Villefranche

Can anyone recommend a car rental company in Villefranche that will deliver to the ship/port or is within easy walking distance.

Check them:

http://www.locauto.fr/agencies/rent-car/alpes-maritimes/villefranche-sur-mer_uk.htm

They have a counter in the tender boat terminal next to the tourist office's counter.

But you need to contact their Nice-Office as the Villefranche-counter is only occupied when a ship is in town.

This was our mistake - but later we learned that they exist and you need to reserve in Nice.

Regards

HeinBloed

• 3 weeks later...
Check them:

http://www.locauto.fr/agencies/rent-car/alpes-maritimes/villefranche-sur-mer_uk.htm

They have a counter in the tender boat terminal next to the tourist office's counter.

But you need to contact their Nice-Office as the Villefranche-counter is only occupied when a ship is in town.

This was our mistake - but later we learned that they exist and you need to reserve in Nice.

Regards

HeinBloed

We just got back from our cruise (Celebrity Equinox, Sept. 2-9). We had made a reservation with Locauto (3 phone calls) and had confirmed by phone (in French) a couple of days before we got there, only to learn when we arrived that the agent (Katrine) had "forgotten" to transmit the information to the port people. We waited over 1 1/2 hours for them to finally get us a van as we'd reserved. It hadn't been cleaned (but at least we got it). It was a mess, and the rep at the port didn't give a hoot. I speak fluent French, but that didn't make much difference (except that I was able to let them know what I thought of their service...) Just beware!!! BTW, I don't recommend a van for the small streets. Car would have been better (but we were 9). There are mixed reviews on many websites re-Locauto.

Ahhhh. C'est la Guerre! We happen to love traveling in France but sometimes think the country would be better off without the French or with a major attittude adjustment. On the other hand, their country may soon be taken over by immigrants and then there will be even more changes. Unfortunately Locauto is a regional company and, as you discovered, hit an miss. We have even had issues with Hertz in Paris where they insisted we should pay a much higher rate then we had booked even thought we had two written confirmations with the price (we won that argument after 30 min of "discussion). There is another reality when dealing with European rental car agencies. If you book a small car with manual transmission things will usually be OK. But as soon as you move to larger cars, vans, or automatics it is like rolling the dice (with similar odds).

Hank

We waited over 1 1/2 hours for them to finally get us a van as we'd reserved. It hadn't been cleaned (but at least we got it). It was a mess, and the rep at the port didn't give a hoot. I speak fluent French, but that didn't make much difference (except that I was able to let them know what I thought of their service...) Just beware!!! BTW, I don't recommend a van for the small streets. Car would have been better (but we were 9). There are mixed reviews on many websites re-Locauto.

Same thing happened to me a few years ago. Then when I went to return the car, there was no one in sight. I had to get back to the ship and I just left the keys with some dive shop. It was a disaster. They say they will meet you but never do.

Archived