Helicopter Dilemma in Kauai

dleighb

We have a group of six. We are interested in an open door ride. Jack Harter is the only company that I see who does this. Correct? They only have a four seat helicopter that is an open door ride.

At the moment, the times they have given us are one group at 11 and then the other couple at 12:45. I checked to see if there was a closed door ride around 11am with Jack Harter and the answer was no. If we do this, then the second group will be unable to go on the Fern Grotto tour which looks really interesting.

So, I am looking at seeing if another company has an earlier flight available for the stray couple.

Are the helicopter tour companies close to each other by any chance? How close are they to the pier?

Can anyone else think of any other recommendations for solutions to my problem? And we really want the open door because my husband is a photographer and would like to not worry about the window glare from inside the helicopter.

Any ideas would be helpful! Thanks.

A few years ago we went with Inter Island Helicopters. Same thing.. 4 passengers.. but you land at a private waterfall for swimming and lunch. A helicopter was arriving at the falls as we were leaving. Maybe you could arrange something with them to have two to the tour at the same time. It was a fantastic tour!!

Frankly I wouldn't get too upset at missing fern grotta because it's has been mentioned here before that the tour is really no big deal and when you see you end up saying to yourself "is this all there is". We have been once and were bored to tears. Is it a must see

No! JMO

Search the internet, find some pictures and call it a day.

We did the heli tour in Vegas and I was surprised at the amt of pictures we got with no glare and had some others that were still good with little glare.

Also remember to wear dark coloured cloths as light colours cause reflection.

I think one always needs to decide if one is on vacation and hopes to capture nice pictures or photography is the priority.

Just remember that if you do doors off you are going to get lots of wind and it will be much cooler etc. I agree that with the standard helicopter tour you get glare but this doesn't stop one from capturing wonderfuly memories of a wonderfuly trip. There are lots of artitsts on the islands selling beautiful prints, tell him to look at some of the galleries and purchase a print and help the local economy :D

You can check Blue Hawaiin I think they are a top notch organziation. For safety and such you don't have helicopters or planes flying on top of each other. Its already very disruptive, as you can hear a helicopter going overhead almost every 10-15' when you are hiking some of the beautiful trails.

Good luck!

We have a group of six. We are interested in an open door ride. Jack Harter is the only company that I see who does this. Correct? They only have a four seat helicopter that is an open door ride.

At the moment, the times they have given us are one group at 11 and then the other couple at 12:45. I checked to see if there was a closed door ride around 11am with Jack Harter and the answer was no. If we do this, then the second group will be unable to go on the Fern Grotto tour which looks really interesting.

So, I am looking at seeing if another company has an earlier flight available for the stray couple.

Are the helicopter tour companies close to each other by any chance? How close are they to the pier?

Can anyone else think of any other recommendations for solutions to my problem? And we really want the open door because my husband is a photographer and would like to not worry about the window glare from inside the helicopter.

Any ideas would be helpful! Thanks.

The Open Doors is a little cooler, but nothing compares to the sights with no-doors. After having done it once, that would always be my preference. Not just for photos, but for the experience as well. In a regular helicopter, I always get stuck in the middle seat - which is a real drag!

I think one always needs to decide if one is on vacation and hopes to capture nice pictures or photography is the priority.

Just remember that if you do doors off you are going to get lots of wind and it will be much cooler etc. I agree that with the standard helicopter tour you get glare but this doesn't stop one from capturing wonderfuly memories of a wonderfuly trip. There are lots of artitsts on the islands selling beautiful prints, tell him to look at some of the galleries and purchase a print and help the local economy :D

You can check Blue Hawaiin I think they are a top notch organziation. For safety and such you don't have helicopters or planes flying on top of each other. Its already very disruptive, as you can hear a helicopter going overhead almost every 10-15' when you are hiking some of the beautiful trails.

Good luck!

I agree! there is no better picture than the one that stays in your head on excursions such as that.

Most of these heli/plane companies will have a dvd for sale as well.

Archived