Mediterranean Question

stampinrobin

Looking for some help on those who watch or have cruised the Mediterranean on Carnival. I'm starting research on a cruise a couple years out.

I see the Magic is there next summer. Does Carnival do the same itin every year, but just a different ship?

I remember the Dream was there when it first came out and now the Magic. I assumed the Breeze will do it - anyone know what year.

What do they do on the years they don't have a new ship coming out? Do they just move one over there?

Comparing that itin to the RCCL itins, I prefer Carnival's, but if I'm thinking a couple of years out, I just need to know what to expect. Don't want to research all those ports and then have it not available. Wondering what Carnival's history is.

Thanks for all your input!

Carnival doesn't have a ship in Europe every year. They had the Liberty, Legend, Freedom, and Splendor there when they came out. The Dream also did a few cruises in Europe before she came to the States but there was no other ship there in 2009 for the summer and Carnival did not have a ship in Europe at all in 2010. The Magic will be there for the season in 2011 and no announcement has been made as to what the Breeze will be doing. Based on past experience I would assume the Breeze will do at least a few cruises there the summer of 2011 before she goes to her homeport, wherever that will be, but that is not definite.

I didn't really follow the itineraries before the Freedom in 2007 but after that they had basically the same itinerary. The best for us was when they also did the Eastern Med with Greece and Turkey on the Freedom but that was the only summer they did that. The Splendor did the Baltic in 2008 and that was nice too. But the Magic is doing the same Med itinerary that we did in 2007 but a few cruises have a couple of new ports. In fact, we were scheduled to go to Livorno Italy again but the port got changed to Genoa and then a couple of days later it switched to Savona. Who knows what we'll really end up with.

We just have to wait to see what the Breeze does since it's still almost two years till she comes out. Everything is still focused on the Magic for the time being.

I am planning a Med cruise next year, but as you can see from my signature below... we are doing RCCL. I like their itinerary and the fact that its a 7 day cruise vs 9 or more days since I can't get that much time off of work (I will be pushing it as it is getting there a day or two early.... lol).

I like 12-day cruises in the Med. Seven day in the Med is a bit short. We're doing the 9-day one next summer with three days pre-cruise in Barcelona.

John Heald posted on his blog that he has no idea if Carnival would be doing Med cruises in 2012. It's too bad because Carnival makes the Med affordable for families. If I could get our family into a quad on Princess, I'd do it. But their quad cabins are too small and their prices for 3rd and 4th passengers are too high. This 9-day Med on the Magic is perfect for us.

We did the 12 day on the Dream and it was just fantastic. Our best cruise to date. I am hoping that Carnival will return to Europe in 2012 with either a Baltics or Greek cruise. If they do we will be on it!!!

Archived