Jamaica - Should Carnival take it off it's roster??

LCTXcruiser

Just came back from a cruise yesterday. We went to Jamaica, Cayman Islands, and Cozumel.

First off, I'd like to state that we had a wonderful time in Cayman and Cozumel. The people were a little pushy when selling, but we expect that (have to earn a living right?). Jamaica was a different story...

The shuttle buses were overcharging the passengers, taking them to places they didn't want to go (I'm guessing they get a kickback), and trying to get the passengers to stay on board so they could take them deep into Jamaica, for an additional fee of course.

On our ride back, the cab driver agreed to one fee to get us to the ship, and half way through told us that it would be $10.00 more, or we'd have to get out.

Apparently this was the experience of many of the Carnival guests. Obviously I didn't talk to every passenger on board (about 3k of them), but the 30 or 40 people I did ask had nothing good to say.

I don't want to turn this into a B**** fest, but I wanted to see what others thought?

Should Jamaica be taken off the roster?

PS - The one positive is that the water was beautiful!

Just came back from a cruise yesterday. We went to Jamaica, Cayman Islands, and Cozumel.

First off, I'd like to state that we had a wonderful time in Cayman and Cozumel. The people were a little pushy when selling, but we expect that (have to earn a living right?). Jamaica was a different story...

The shuttle buses were overcharging the passengers, taking them to places they didn't want to go (I'm guessing they get a kickback), and trying to get the passengers to stay on board so they could take them deep into Jamaica, for an additional fee of course.

On our ride back, the cab driver agreed to one fee to get us to the ship, and half way through told us that it would be $10.00 more, or we'd have to get out.

Apparently this was the experience of many of the Carnival guests. Obviously I didn't talk to every passenger on board (about 3k of them), but the 30 or 40 people I did ask had nothing good to say.

I don't want to turn this into a B**** fest, but I wanted to see what others thought?

I am with you the place is crime ridden with ripoff artists everywhere. I can't tell you how many times I was approached in a touristy shopping plaza if I wanted to buy some dope. It could be a beautiful place to visit if they would clean up their image.

We booked with Carnival's excursion (Dunn's Falls and the bob sled) and had no problems. It was beautiful and we had a great time. Sometimes it pays to pay a little extra to insure a good safe experience. Especially somewhere like Jamaica.

There are a few Carribean ports I'd only book through the cruise ship.....but I don't want them taken off as cruise stops either.......I'm just more careful.

We have been to Montego Bay twice and if we never go back, that is fine with us. We are considering booking a cruise that goes to Ocho Rios instead. I hate to write off an entire island after seeing only one city.

We have only been to Jamaica once, and enjoyed a beach day there. We are looking forward to our port call there next spring and will try to see more of the island. DD is especially excited about the bobsled. I think we'll stick with Carnival excursions though. Were your bad experiences on Carnival excursions, or on independent tours, or "grab a cab" spur-of-the moment adventures?

I LOVE Jamaica, so I say no.

I do remember that the only taxis you should use are the red license plates one.

Love the Falls, the gardens, and the green lushness. I take it you went to Ocho Rios?

I'm booking a spa day this time around. Jamaicia is so beautiful, but I will view it from my stateroom balcony. We are approached with weed so much that I can't seem to have a good time. Personally I don't care who smokes weed, but I am not going to a Jamaician jail over it! The first cruise I did a Catameran excursion through the ship, still offered it by the guides. The second time to Jamaicia we went to Sunset Beach Resort, had a great time and not approached except by the cab drivers. If they took it off the list of ports I would hate to see what might happen to the people of Jamaicia. On the other hand, I don't really care if I return there or not.

For the Jamaica haters; first, do your homework before you go! Know that this is a very poor island and I would compare it to many places that we have in nearly every large American city; lots of slums and undesirable areas. If you arrange a ship's tour, or one thru a reputable independent tour guide, such as Peat Taylor, you will have a very positive experience. Get away from the city squalor and you will find the island to be one of the most beautiful in the Caribbean!

I'm all for personal choice so I don't want them to take it off the itineraries. That way those that love it can still go. For me, the last time we went we decided it would likely be the last time. It's a lovely place but there's an edge to it that just isn't relaxing for me. I think if I were at a resort for a week and only left to go to and from the airport I'd enjoy it but a day in port just doesn't do it for me any more. Everything is just too in-your-face for us.

On our one and only trip to Ocho Rios DW was pretty much held captive in the exit area of Dunns River Falls until I forked $10 over to get the hell out of there. No way will I ever go back to Jamaica.

I believe they're playing with fire and its only a matter of time before something really bad happens there so I say they should leave before someone is killed.

Archived