St. Vincent Island on the Maasdam? 1/22/11

Cinder Again

It might not be right, I just heard about the change on our roll call, and maybe the person who listed it talked to someone who doesn't really know? After I get back from the Dentist, and (off east coast time), I'll try calling HAL.

We had a last minute change on our Maasdam Southern Caribbean cruise Jan 2009 due I suspect to the high crime rates on one of the islands. They also returned to Antigua which apparently had been taken off itineraries in the past and there were three robberies of ship passengers the day we were in with one of the NCL ships. I believe Guadalupe was taken off the itinerary so they ships do try to stay one step ahead when attacks on tourists make some islands not worth the stop. A very sad indictment for the governance of too many of the Caribbean islands who have so much beauty and history to offer.

We also went to Dominica and it was among our most favorite stops ( a return to the formerly crime-riddled St Croix Christensted excursion and St Kitts Nevis were also favorites).

We found Dominica to be a beautiful little island and the river rapids on rubber tubes was one of the most successful shore excursions of the whole trip - and accessible for all ages taking only a small amount of water skills. There were helpers in the water all the way down and the small rapids and lovely runs through the jungle were a perfect combination of excitement and placid flows through its sheer beauty.

Thanks for the tour idea for Dominica. Was that private, or ship excursion? Our travel agent confirmed the change with HAL,"in order to enhance the experience of our guests..." was their response, which could mean pretty much anything, from robbery, as you mentioned, to a bad , or unsafe dock or security. Maybe once on board, an officer will shed some light. Our travel agent mentioned something about whales near Dominica, does anyone remember whales? I was there before, but frankly, don't remember anything special. Might have had too many margaritas, or something...:rolleyes:

Archived