Are free craft classes offered?

Duck Duck Cruise

I did post this to the Panama board….Given how chatty CC’rs are it surprised me that I have had no answers.

We have taken the Golden to Hawaii. On the Hawaii trip there were Fresh Flower Lei and Ribbon Lei Making Classes.

We are taking the Coral in 4 weeks to the Panama Canal.

Are there any special classes offered for free on the way to Panama?

Thanks,

Lin

I have been on ships where the craft classes were taught by the cruise staff but I have also been on longer trips with many sea days where there was a 'craft lady'. They were brought on board just like the guest lecturers with a pre-arranged schedule and their own 'tools' and supplies. I think this is up to the cruise director pre-determine based on the itinerary. Certainly, the sessions were well attended.

It depends on the cruise, length of the cruise and the number of sea days. I've been on cruises that had Crafts and others that didn't. Whenever we're on a cruise with more than a couple of sea days, we ask the CD to arrange a meeting place for a "Needle Arts" get-together and to put it in the Patter. They almost always do. We've had as few as six or seven and as many as forty. It's surprising how many people bring their own crafts onboard. On our cruise in January, for instance, people exchanged knitting patterns, one woman taught another (a complete stranger) how to crochet. Usually, the CD sends someone to see how many show up and they're always surprised. On our Sapphire cruise a couple of years ago, we had 20-25 people who were regulars and the CD gave us one of the unused dining rooms to get together.

It depends on the cruise, length of the cruise and the number of sea days. I've been on cruises that had Crafts and others that didn't. Whenever we're on a cruise with more than a couple of sea days, we ask the CD to arrange a meeting place for a "Needle Arts" get-together and to put it in the Patter. They almost always do. We've had as few as six or seven and as many as forty. It's surprising how many people bring their own crafts onboard. On our cruise in January, for instance, people exchanged knitting patterns, one woman taught another (a complete stranger) how to crochet. Usually, the CD sends someone to see how many show up and they're always surprised. On our Sapphire cruise a couple of years ago, we had 20-25 people who were regulars and the CD gave us one of the unused dining rooms to get together.

Nice idea!

Thanks Pam, I'm on the Golden on Dec 8 and plan to do some Hawaiian Quilting! I've been in touch with another quilter and knitter but the idea of a "needle arts" group is terrfic with four days at sea both ways. This is our first cruise with so many sea days but I'm sure I won't be bored!!! Karen

It would be great if there was a place to post messages for people of similar interests to get together (within reason and non-sexual of course). Reading groups, nature lovers, divers, hikers, crafts, etc.. A cork board type of thing. It would be a nice idea for get togethers on sea days.

I was on the Panama Canal cruise last April (Island Princess) and the craft classes were given by the assistant CD's. I went to one class and it was so cheesy that I didn't go back to any others.
The problem with someone from the CD's staff doing crafts is that 99% of the time, they really don't know what the heck they're doing. If it's the stupid needlepoint kits, they don't know stitches, yarns, etc. On longer cruises, there is sometimes someone who is hired to do crafts every sea day. The ones I've met have been creative and good teachers. Like the lecturers, this is their job.

Archived