Cruisetour in Europe

We are considering a cruise out of Southhampton. Has anyone done a cruisetour in London and Paris? I would love to hear thoughts, both good and bad about your experience. I'm thinking it is probably cheaper to do it on your own. But the convenience of all details being worked out may be worth it.

Thanks for any info.

I'm interested in this too (so I'm replying to get it back on the first page ...). We had signed up for the cruisetour of Paris/London then cruising out of Southhampton to Monte Carlo, Spain, Lisbon, etc. We've cancelled for now but may re-book early next year. Thanks for any input.

Unless you are very busy, nervous about travelling on your own or internet challenged please do some research as to the difference in cost between booking a tour with the cruiseline and doing it on your own. I enjoy planning our own excursions when on a cruise. (I will take cruise tours when there is a good reason.)

Travel in Europe is not difficult with the internet providing info on hotels, transportation and tours. Many cities now have 'walking tours' half or full day specialized tours of the city. These are great after a Hop-on-Off type bus tour of the city. If you have special interests there are private guides that will personalize your stay in the city.

I don't know if I'd call it "nervous" but I do like things all neatly planned and organized. The bottom line on the cruise tour seems to be that for an extra $2000 pp (yikes) you get:

Airport pickup in Paris

2 nights hotel in Paris

2 tours in Paris

2 breakfasts in Paris

Train to London

2 nights in London

2 tours in London

2 breakfasts in London

1 dinner in London

Transportation from London to the ship

Taxes & Tips & baggage handling

By doing it on our own, are we talking about saving $1000 pp or $500 pp or $250 pp? I'm not asking anyone to actually map it all out for me - just wondering if they have an experienced estimate or if they've actually done the cruisetour and if so, was it worth it? Apparently there's not a lot of "cruisetour" people on Cruise Critic.

We would suggest you repost this question over on the Europe port boards where you will get lots of comments and advice. You might want to give a lot of consideration to simply doing your own air and land travel and just booking cruise only. Europe is a pretty easy area to navigate and you can generally save some real money by doing your own thing. As to Southampton, it is easy to go from London to Southampton by train and then its a short taxi ride over to the port. As to Paris (my DWs favorite city in the world) there are so many possiblities. With the wonderful train service between Paris and London (not cheap, but wonderful) these two cities are very easy to combine into a nice trip. My one caveat about London is that this city has become one of the most expensive cities in the world. Paris, on the other hand, has many reasonbly priced small (and very charming hotels) that really give you a bit of French culture. We particularly love to stay on the Left Bank (5th or 6th) away from the hustle and bustle of the Right Bank...and then use our feet and the metro to get around the city.

Hank

Archived