any beach town near athens

grams98

we were thinking that after disembarking in piraeus we would like to relax seaside near a nice swimming beach for two nights befoe flying back home. does anyone have any suggestions? we've cnsdered a near by island, like aegina, but we were wondering if there were perhaps some beach that is more like a half hour drive away, or closer, that would be easy to get to? i woud really like to swim in the sea as a finish to a very busy cruise--thanks for any info you might be able to supply-grams98

It is not a beach town as such, but it does have a little beach i think, but I would recommend Poros which can be reached by Hydrofoil from Athens.

It is a small lively resort which lots of shore side tavernas and shops etc.

Very nice.

Hydra is also very nice and cosmopolitan, again, this can be reached by Hydrofoil quite easily from Athens

It is not a beach town as such, but it does have a little beach i think, but I would recommend Poros which can be reached by Hydrofoil from Athens.

It is a small lively resort which lots of shore side tavernas and shops etc.

Very nice.

Hydra is also very nice and cosmopolitan, again, this can be reached by Hydrofoil quite easily from Athens

Could you please tell me how to get there and how long it would take ?? Where to catch the hydrafoil, etc. times... We will be in Athens next summer (I know, it's a long way off but...)--we've seen everythhing in Athens and are looking for a beach kinda thing....I think we'll be in Athens from 8-6 or so....

There are a number of beaches south east of Piraeus. The most popular one is at Glyfáda, other eg. at Kavúri, Vuligaméni, Várkiza und Lagoníssi.

Could you please post on how to get there ?? We're going to be there next summer from 8-6 or so....Thanks !

Could you please post on how to get there ?? We're going to be there next summer from 8-6 or so....Thanks !

I'm tagging on to Butterfly's question? We are going to be on a cruise next month and in Athens Oct. 8. Does anyone know if the Metro runs out to Glyfada as well as the Olympic venues at the old international airport? Is there easy transportation from Olympic site to Glyfada beach area and then back to Athens city center (Acropolis/Plaka area)? Thanks for any information.

Linda

No metro service to Glyfada.

You can take the green line metro from the port one stop down to Faliro station.

From there cross over the highway from the pedestrian ramp that leads from the station platform directly to the tram station ,(on the beach side) your tram will be to your right hand side as you walk down the ramp.You can not miss it.

This is the begining/end of the lines.

There are two lines from there,one goes to Downtown(Syndagma),the other goes along the water towards Glyfada -Voula.

It ends in Voula.

Its slow but it goes by Batis,Edem,Alimos,kalamaki,Glyfada beaches, and then it goes inland to the center of Glyfada,and ends seaside in Voula.

About 40 minutes to complete the run.

From voula you can take the tram back to the port( with the metro from Faliro) or to downtown.

The downtown/syndagma line terminates right on Syndagma square,and takes 45 minutes to get there.

This is my first attempt to attach photos .

I hope it works.It should be the metro tram intersection at Faliro.

Also attached are pages with metro and tram maps.

http://www.athensinfoguide.com/gettingaroundtram.htm

http://www.athensinfoguide.com/gettingaround.htm#6

461571736_FalirometroandtramstationsB.jpg.24e4283a7ceda2de7186e079599acec2.jpg

1839843049_FalirometroandtramstationsA.jpg.abdc124b132f751d78cea43daecf06ee.jpg

Could you please tell me how to get there and how long it would take ?? Where to catch the hydrafoil, etc. times... We will be in Athens next summer (I know, it's a long way off but...)--we've seen everythhing in Athens and are looking for a beach kinda thing....I think we'll be in Athens from 8-6 or so....

More information can be found on the Hellenic Seaways website. It takes about 1.5 hours by fast hydrofoil to Hydra (Flying Dolphin). I think there are other ferry firms as well, try searching for Flying Dolphin Hydra on google for more information. Hydrofoils also run from Pireaus to Poros as well, and take less than an hour on the hydrofoil.

Hydra and Poros are where alot of Athenians go to escape the city at weekends. If you are staying for 2 nights, you can quite easily pop over on the regular hydrofoil to the other island for a few hours -it is well worth it. Far nicer than Athens. There is alot of info on this website link on Hydra.

http://www.hydra.com.gr/transport/?lang=en

Hope this helps

June

• 3 weeks later...

Archived