Murchies Tea Shops

Many of you will know that Murchies has been out of the hands of the family for about 3 years now having been bought out of receivership. It really was sad; long before their was Starbucks, Blenz, Second Cup and all the others....well there was Murchies. I often used to sit in my office and wonder why more effort wasn't being made to grow a brand that had residents of Vancouver and Victoria eating out of the palms of their hands. They had great product but some how or another Gwen Murchie just couldn't make a decision to get going and the world just kind of passed them by. Sad!

The tea shop in Victoria is a wonderful place, oozing with character & old world charm. It is like a trip into history to go in there for a half pound of tea & there is nowhere quite like it for a pot of tea & a scone (a world away from Tim Hortons!).

I didn't know that it had been sold. Who owns it now? The sad thing would have been if it had closed. No Murchies would be like no Empress (they planned to chop it down to a motel in the 70s!!!).

Graham.

They were bought by Belmont Management which is a Victoria based property management company about 3 years ago now. I think they have plans to grow the brand but being retired for more than 6 years I no longer have the contacts that I once had.

Thanks. I did not know it was bought out. What a shame!!! As long as the quality of their teas remain the same and the new ownership isn't scandalous, I will still stock up on their teas. I really like the afternoon tea blend and the Queen's special blend. Hopefully, they won't turn into another Starbucks!!!

Thanks. I did not know it was bought out. What a shame!!! As long as the quality of their teas remain the same and the new ownership isn't scandalous, I will still stock up on their teas. I really like the afternoon tea blend and the Queen's special blend. Hopefully, they won't turn into another Starbucks!!!

If you feel like walking a few blocks past Murchies, you'll find the Silk Road Tea Company. It's on the same side of the street as Murchies, right before you get to the Gates of Harmonious Interest in Chinatown. A wonderful selection of green, black and white teas as well as tea accessories.

Archived