Water Proof camera cases?

kjh92395

Has anyone ever ordered a water proof bag for water photos? I have a small purse camera I would like to take snorkeling. It is an olympus stylus. Can anyone recommend a camera bag for the water? Or share the experience? Thanks

Jessica

Aquapac here is their website, you can buy at Amazon or B&H.

http://www.aquapac.net/

Has anyone ever ordered a water proof bag for water photos? I have a small purse camera I would like to take snorkeling. It is an olympus stylus. Can anyone recommend a camera bag for the water? Or share the experience? Thanks

Jessica

I bought something similar to the link in the first post for one of our cruises. The pictures turned out fine, but it was a pain to use and I was always paranoid it was going to leak.

For the next cruise, I bought a fully waterproof digital camera. For a couple hundred dollars (don't remember the exact price I paid) it was waaaaay better for me!

We have a DiCap and it has served us well. It takes some getting used to if you try to use all the camera functions (we have a little Canon, and zooming is tricky), but the price was right. And the instructions, translated from Korean, are a hoot.

I looked at a custom Canon case, but it was more than I paid for the camera itself. But you'd be more assured of a user-friendly product.

I bought something similar to the link in the first post for one of our cruises. The pictures turned out fine, but it was a pain to use and I was always paranoid it was going to leak.

For the next cruise, I bought a fully waterproof digital camera. For a couple hundred dollars (don't remember the exact price I paid) it was waaaaay better for me!

I agree. The only thing I would add is to get the Olympus floating camera strap to go with your waterproof camera. That way if you drop it or if the thing slips off your wrist, it will float and won't sink like a stone to the bottom where the pressure might well destroy the waterproofing.

I have an Olympus Tough that I'm taking with me. So far it's survived the pool depths pretty well.

I would note, however, that if you plan on using the camera for anything else, you need a lens cleaning cloth. The salt water, when it drys, leaves salt crystals on the camera lense which can scratch the lens. I always wash my lens off in warm tap water and the dry the lens before putting it away.

t

I did. Aquapak.

I used it for our trip on the Serenade August 8th.

You can find some user videos on you tube and putting aquapak in the search.

I was a little hesitant while snorkeling in St. Johns and Swimming in the Emerald pool in Dominica . . but it did the job, no problems.

• 1 month later...

DONT BUY AQUAPAC. My 2 year old aquapac just filled with water at coco cay and ruined my camera and memory card. two weeks of vacation pictures gone. camera no longer working. They claim they have a 3 year warranty but their responses basically tell me too bad. Mind you, I have only used it three times before, stored it the way you are supposed to, always careful when closing it with camera inside, no punctures or holes in it.

I got the DiCap from B&H Photo, worked really well!

I also got the DiCap. I think thru Amazon, just goggle it. While I agree, I would love to have the Olympus waterproof camera, for just a "couple hundred bucks" but to some of us, we don't have that to spend, or feel we could spend it other ways. Here is a photo that was taken with the DiCap and my $89 point and shoot camera.

2801677760103583464S425x425Q85.jpg

I have an older (~3 yrs) Olympus stylus SW, which is waterproof to 33 ft on its own. However, Olympus made a case specifically for it for great depths. I've taken it diving with the extra case for the same length of time without a problem. I got the housing on amazon.

Aquapac here is their website, you can buy at Amazon or B&H.

http://www.aquapac.net/

They work great. I have one and used it in Cozumel last year. Here's how the pics turned out.

http://picasaweb.google.com/mbutsy/CarnivalValor2010CruiseSnorkelingInChankanaab#slideshow/5474471391183763906

I was going to wait to vote on Nov. 2 but I have to say I have used and was VERY happy with the DiCaPac. So one more vote for DiCaPac. I think all these bags are the same when it comes to using the settings on the camera, it's VERY HARD. My bag keep the camera dry and it would also float. I had a Sony Cybershot. I am happy to say I went out and bought a new Sony camera and bought the hard underwater case for it. I spent the $200 for it so I can switch from HD movie to pic. MUCH easier. I don't think I'll ever go the 180 ft. with it :o) But with what ever you buy do your homework first and

Happy Cruising!!!!!

I got the DiCap from B&H Photo too...I've been using it for years...

I usually put two hair ties around it so that the lens can open property...

It works great...my twin sister has one too....

I think B&H might have no tax and free shipping...I'm not sure...

• 3 weeks later...

Jessica

There are several options for waterproof storage to take your camera with you in the ocean.

http://www.thewaterproofstore.com/bags.html

I have two for documents and they have not failed yet.

Also I purchased a waterproof case for my Cannon A-540 and use it for underwater photos.

I have heard the attage about waterproof camera cases. There are two types of people... those who have had their cases fail and those who are about to.

I am looking into a new underwater camera for our next cruise something small for the wife to keep.

Archived