ID Dilemma and we sail on Saturday!

3redheads

You called Carnival...and they gave you the answer

"I called Carnival and they said she can only use the school ID and birth certificate. I don't have a recent student ID."

I don't meant to be obnoxious or anything...but since you still have time for an emergency passport...why are you wasting your time wondering about school IDs...if the school is open....void DMV identification....getting things on the spot...etc?

And even if you take the reps word for it...who says she's right. The clerk at the port might have other instructions....

It's just my opinion.......

Three Carnival agents said she should be ok. Do I want to show up and be turned away? Heck no!

An emergency passport costs $299 plus government fee. Since it's after hours, I'm looking for options to start working on tomorrow morning.

Whether it is "VOIDED" or not, it's still proof that it is her. All you have to do is prove her identity, not prove that she is legally able to do something (like drive, etc.) I think you can even use expired passports as a photo ID in some situations. (Don't flame me if I'm wrong)

In any case, good luck!

Her student ID does not have an expiration date on it, but it is for 2007-2008. Not sure if that means it's expired...

I will call the school tomorrow and check that option.

Thank you all!

If all else fails, you can take what ID you do have to your local government building and have a commissioner of oaths sign a paper stating that she is whom the ID says she is. Either that or have a lawyer sign an afidavit stating this from seeing her current ID. Either of these should work. Might cost a bit of money if you need to go to the lawyer's but it's worth it. Good Luck and have a great time!

Whether it is "VOIDED" or not' date=' it's still proof that it is her. All you have to do is prove her identity, not prove that she is legally able to do something (like drive, etc.) I think you can even use expired passports as a photo ID in some situations. (Don't flame me if I'm wrong)

In any case, good luck![/quote']

In California, an expired ID or driver's license is no good. Can't use it for ID purposes or age verification.

I left a message for her counselor at school asking about getting another id or a copy of the id. If we can only get a copy, maybe she can type up a letter on school stationary. I also have the yearbook, an ID card from the Center for Missing and Exploited Children and a Babe Ruth ID.

Slim pickings, I know, but I'm grasping at this point. I could even bring in a newspaper which has her picture and name in a Sports article. :eek:

I like all of your ideas and really appreciate you taking the time to try and help me out.

eta

We just found another student ID from 2008-2009. We're getting closer!!

In California, an expired ID or driver's license is no good. Can't use it for ID purposes or age verification.

Same in Canada - any ID used for any purpose must be current and not expired. Expired ID is just that - expired and good for nothing otherwise why would there be an expiry date. I agree with others - why not just get an expediated passport - for how long we spent on this you could have gone and applied and received one by now. Costs you a little bit of money but I am sure she can cover the cost as she is 17 and probably has a job and would be a good learning experience for her.

Same in Canada - any ID used for any purpose must be current and not expired. Expired ID is just that - expired and good for nothing otherwise why would there be an expiry date.

It's not expired, just marked void, which is probably worse. :(

Same in Canada - any ID used for any purpose must be current and not expired. Expired ID is just that - expired and good for nothing otherwise why would there be an expiry date.

Obviously not for the reason the ID was issued but just for identity in some cases.

You might have your Daughter, look through her stuff she tossed into the Closet, or under her bed the last day of school...

You might find that her ID is just a few steps away.

Good Luck!

We found another school id, so we're a year closer and have ids from two years.. Just can't find the most recent one. I have her tearing apart her room. It's a pigsty as it is. :eek:

It's not expired, just marked void, which is probably worse. :(

Actually I just thought of an instance where I used a void punched id. I moved back & forth from Florida & Wyoming 4 times so I basically traded the same DL # from each state back & forth twice each. I was able to fly with the voided ID (I also had the "paper" temporary ID and was told that the voided one would be ok for ID purposes - that was Wyoming tho). It was back in 1996 tho. I don't remember the exact circumstances on why it was punched and it was a while ago.

Get her a state id, anything that's marked void may not be accepted and do you want to take the risk?

The ID that was marked VOID is a state ID. I did find two student ids...fingers crossed.

Actually I just thought of an instance where I used a void punched id. I moved back & forth from Florida & Wyoming 4 times so I basically traded the same DL # from each state back & forth twice each. I was able to fly with the voided ID (I also had the "paper" temporary ID and was told that the voided one would be ok for ID purposes - that was Wyoming tho). It was back in 1996 tho. I don't remember the exact circumstances on why it was punched and it was a while ago.

I think 9/11 changed so much for security. They used to issue the driver's license right in DMV' date=' but no longer.

Worst case, buy a really large carry-on and study the liquor smuggling threads . . . :)

She's skinny enough to fit. Have to cut an air hole for her. Thanks for the laugh!!

a card..ie: disabled person, Cabaret card, blind person..looks like DRivers Lic..My blind pal carries one.or peeps who dont/will never drive. need UDs such as this for various things..get it while you wait ..worth a try

I do cruise check in and what they care most about is the BC and given she is under 18 most check in agents would look at the ID and see it's her, the fact it is now void because of issuing a drivers pernit would not be an issue. Bring both ID's and the BC, it would be unusual for the agent not to make the call on if it was sufficiant. Have fun.

Three Carnival agents said she should be ok. Do I want to show up and be turned away? Heck no!

An emergency passport costs $299 plus government fee. Since it's after hours, I'm looking for options to start working on tomorrow morning.

While I'm all for getting a passport, I'd be leery of this being so close to your cruise. They will take her birth certificate and send it with the application. If for some reason it doesn't come back in time, you are then REALLY out of luck with no passport AND no birth certificate. Since duplicate birth certificates here in VA have to ordered through Richmond and take many weeks, you can't just grab another one somewhere.

I would think the voided picture ID with the temporary permit and birth certificate would work but you never know when you'll get a picky agent. I would argue that this is the valid way in VA until the learner's permit is mailed if they give you any trouble.

I've been lucky and renewed my DL online last time - I didn't even realize they no longer handed you the ID right there at the DMV the way they used to! :p But then again, I avoid DMV bingo at all costs.

Now serving.... C4, C4, B2 A47.... Anything but the number you've got!

I do cruise check in and what they care most about is the BC and given she is under 18 most check in agents would look at the ID and see it's her, the fact it is now void because of issuing a drivers pernit would not be an issue. Bring both ID's and the BC, it would be unusual for the agent not to make the call on if it was sufficiant. Have fun.

Thank you SOOO much!

While I'm all for getting a passport, I'd be leery of this being so close to your cruise. They will take her birth certificate and send it with the application. If for some reason it doesn't come back in time, you are then REALLY out of luck with no passport AND no birth certificate. Since duplicate birth certificates here in VA have to ordered through Richmond and take many weeks, you can't just grab another one somewhere.

I would think the voided picture ID with the temporary permit and birth certificate would work but you never know when you'll get a picky agent. I would argue that this is the valid way in VA until the learner's permit is mailed if they give you any trouble.

I've been lucky and renewed my DL online last time - I didn't even realize they no longer handed you the ID right there at the DMV the way they used to! :p But then again, I avoid DMV bingo at all costs.

Now serving.... C4, C4, B2 A47.... Anything but the number you've got!

New record: 2 hours and 40 minutes at DMV today. They had a line going out the door the whole time we were there. I thought of taking her in when it opens at 8am, but the lady said there was a long line at 710am. Glad my daughter passed, but wish she had done this earlier in the summer so the ID wouldn't be an issue.

I would venture to say that the school is not open or fully operational right now - being summer and all. At our schools we have companies come in and do the pictures enmasse they are not done daily on an individual basis - too expensive to keep the processing equipment in every school.

That's possible. Our schools started back yesterday. All of our schools have the necessary equipment to take the pics and print the cards right there at the campus.

The two Carnival agents I spoke with told me to bring everything to the port and that all of the DMV documents and the school ID should be sufficient.

One girl told me to check out travel.state.gov and call them and get a badge number. I cannot even figure out which area to call!

Virginia is becoming a PIA!!! They mail ALL picture ids!

Please drop me an e-mail so I can give you a number to call. I would hate for you to get to the port and deny her boarding: cruisingwithgrace@juno.com

This could be a stupid question, but why are you needing another ID other than the BC? Of our three kids, the youngest doesn't have a passport yet. We've always just used the BC. Do minors have to have photo ID as well now? Or have they just made a mistake allowing us on with just a BC?

This could be a stupid question, but why are you needing another ID other than the BC? Of our three kids, the youngest doesn't have a passport yet. We've always just used the BC. Do minors have to have photo ID as well now? Or have they just made a mistake allowing us on with just a BC?

Carnival Cruise Lines strongly recommends all of our guests travel with a valid passport. However, as of June 1, 2009, U.S. citizens embarking on a cruise that both originates and terminates at the same U.S. port are not required to have a passport, but will need proof of citizenship such as an original or certified copy of a birth certificate, a certificate of naturalization, a passport card, an enhanced driver’s license (EDL) as well as a government-issued photo ID. Children are also required to bring proof of citizenship, and if 16 and over, a photo ID is also required.

Our personal experience.......

When we took a cruise and our DS was 17 the agent NEVER looked as his photo ID. I handed over the BC's with the license for me and DH - she asked "is this your son" .....I said "yes". She examined the BC's only and DS offered her his photo two seperate times and she declined to take it!!

I agree with other posters - take what ever photo id you have (void or not) along with the valid BC - I doubt you will have any problem because she will be boarding with you.

That's possible. Our schools started back yesterday. All of our schools have the necessary equipment to take the pics and print the cards right there at the campus.

Wow - our schools in Canada do not have that kind of funding for this kind of equipment. I would love to have our schools under your system. I hope this works for the OP

Please drop me an e-mail so I can give you a number to call. I would hate for you to get to the port and deny her boarding: cruisingwithgrace@juno.com

Thank you so much! I just sent you and email. It's coming from verizon.net.

Thank you all!!

eta

Tbay-eh-the company that comes to the school to do the yearbook pictures also provide the student ids. I'm not sure if the company absorbs the cost or if the school system pays for it.

Archived