ID Dilemma and we sail on Saturday!

3redheads

Just out of curiosity, how hard would it be to just make a fake school ID? I only ask because back when I was young, it was just a simple card with a pic... something that could easily be reproduced by a juvenile delinquent with a printer looking to make a fake ID to buy something, um... for 18+ year olds. Do high school IDs now have security measures like holograms and hidden imprints in them?

Not that I'm suggesting the OP make a fake student ID card, but really, do they have bar codes, finger prints, holograms, security tape embedded, etc?

Good luck to the OP. Seems a bit extreme to require a gov't picture ID when traveling with a parent who has ID, birth certificates, etc... but then again, that's the world we live in now. :(

Cheers!

We had this problem last year with our than 16 yr old grandson. We booked the cruise 3 weeks out and then found out he needed a govt issued photo id. We couldn't get one, he went to the local AAA and got a generic photo id. I was worried but we had no problem. The agent just glanced at the photo id, she really didn't look that long at the birth certificate either.

Just go with all your documents, have the birth certifiates out and wait until they ask for the photo id and show them what you have without any explanations unless they question it. I really think the old school id would work they don't look at it close enough to even notice the date.

We had this problem last year with our than 16 yr old grandson. We booked the cruise 3 weeks out and then found out he needed a govt issued photo id. We couldn't get one, he went to the local AAA and got a generic photo id. I was worried but we had no problem. The agent just glanced at the photo id, she really didn't look that long at the birth certificate either.

Just go with all your documents, have the birth certifiates out and wait until they ask for the photo id and show them what you have without any explanations unless they question it. I really think the old school id would work they don't look at it close enough to even notice the date.

I'm guessing the same thing. Here in TX they also mail you your ID. I had to go get a replacement DL last week as mine is lost somewhere (and it was a good picture too! :mad: ). I forgot that they give you a slip of paper and mail the real one to you. Every other state in which I have ever lived hands you your license right then and there. There is a photo on my temp paper DL though. VA doesn't even put the photo on there?

I just wanted to update my post.

Cricket63 is the bomb! She got me started in the right direction.

Here's my journey:

-Homeland Security transferred me to TSA

-Explained my issue with TSA and they told me they only handle airline travel

-Port of Miami-gave me the number for Port of Miami Customs

Customs-thought what I had would be fine, but the ultimate decision is in the hands of a Carnival agent at the check in area of the port

-Called Carnival Customer Service for the 5th time-rep talked to an agent at Guest Solutions and they said I will be ok and they noted on my account (which can be viewed by Port of Miami Carnival agent)which documents I was bringing.

-I called Carnival Customer Service back and spoke with a different agent just to make sure the notations appeared on my booking. It's there!

I am bringing:

raised seal birth certificate

Virginia State ID-the one marked void

Temp driving permit

2 school ids

Thank you to everyone who offered support and advice. I hope my post will help someone in the future who may have a similar crisis.

PS

If you see me posting on the boards next week, it didn't work. :eek:

Sounds like you got a solution without having to break the law, spend $300+on an overnight passport, or ask the drug dealer down the street to make you a fake ID.

Good luck and enjoy your cruise. PLEASE come back after your cruise to post the experience through customs and embarkation. Thanks!

I had a similar situation with my son. We booked a last minute cruise and went to the Texas DMV to get a photo ID. For some reason it takes 4-6 weeks to get the ID in the mail.

They gave us a paper one that did have a photo (8 1/2x11 sheet). He couldn't find his old school ID and homeschools now. We ended up going to a passport office on a Tuesday and had his passport by Thursday.

I would think that the new paper ID along with the voided photo ID, school ID and birth certificate would work.

Good luck!

Since duplicate birth certificates here in VA have to ordered through Richmond and take many weeks, you can't just grab another one somewhere.

Tell me about that! We needed one for my wife earlier this year. We had originally planned on taking our (first) cruise in May of this year. In February I read up on what was needed, and decided to go ahead and get each of us a passport and passport card. When I went to apply for it, I found out that the "card" issued to my wife wasn't acceptable. It said it was an official record, and all of the information was raised (it is similar to a credit card), but it didn't meet the criteria. So, we ordered one through the mail. It took a long time, and towards the end I was afraid that we wouldn't be able to have any documents to travel with - so we canceled our plans. It turns out that we finally did get the BC and PP in late April, but it was just too late to get the ball rolling again.

One note - my MIL was told that she could drive up to Richmond and have one printed that day. This information is on their website, and it was also verified by MIL talking directly to a manager (not supv) at the Dept. of Vital Records.

Isn't it funny how things you take for granted turn out so differently than you expect? Just like the paper copy of a BC I had - it worked for years to get my drivers license, join the USN, buy homes, etc, etc. But when it came time for a PP, they declined it. I pointed out the raised seal, but since it was issued by the hospital I was born at (Harris Hosp, FW), and signed by the Attending Dr. and not a bureaucrat, it wouldn't do. Fortunately Tarrant County has a very quick turnaround on BC requests, but it cost twice as much as the one we ordered for my wife!

Hi OP. I saw that you have a solution. Just a thought..... does your local police dept have the Ident-a-kid program? If so, they should have the machine on-site to make a photo ID with thumb prints.

Have fun on your trip!!

Thank you, Mrs. C. I found an ID issued from the Center for Missing and Exploited Children we got for our daughter in 2006. I'm bringing that too! I will have everything.

Thank you for your suggestion! I'm hoping there are no tropical events while we are sailing! :eek:

Since duplicate birth certificates here in VA have to ordered through Richmond and take many weeks, you can't just grab another one somewhere.

I ordered a dupe of my oldest daughters BC on Friday (born in VA) through vitalchek.com, chose expedited service and it arrived today. So, it CAN be done quickly if necessary, just costs a little more ($49.75 total, including 2nd day UPS service).

Thank you, Mrs. C. I found an ID issued from the Center for Missing and Exploited Children we got for our daughter in 2006. I'm bringing that too! I will have everything.

Thank you for your suggestion! I'm hoping there are no tropical events while we are sailing! :eek:

You're welcome! I hope you will have calm waters!!

The two Carnival agents I spoke with told me to bring everything to the port and that all of the DMV documents and the school ID should be sufficient.

One girl told me to check out travel.state.gov and call them and get a badge number. I cannot even figure out which area to call!

Virginia is becoming a PIA!!! They mail ALL picture ids!

Just an FYI it is not just Virginia, it is a recent federal law, and states cannot give out IDs like before. Blame the NYC paranoia.

• 2 weeks later...

We are back and here's what happened:

Self check in kiosks. Scanned my passport and my mom's. Brought my daughter's birth certificate to the customer service area where you pick up your Sail card. They didn't even look at it! I didn't present any of the ids I brought for my daughter.

What a relief! Just wanted to update the thread for others who may have a similar situation. I'm glad I brought all the ids! Funny thing is, we left on Friday for a Saturday sailing and my daughter got her DMV permit in the mail Friday afternoon!

I'm working on a review of my sailing. Thanks again for everyone who posted!!

We are back and here's what happened:

Self check in kiosks. Scanned my passport and my mom's. Brought my daughter's birth certificate to the customer service area where you pick up your Sail card. They didn't even look at it! I didn't present any of the ids I brought for my daughter.

What a relief! Just wanted to update the thread for others who may have a similar situation. I'm glad I brought all the ids! Funny thing is, we left on Friday for a Saturday sailing and my daughter got her DMV permit in the mail Friday afternoon!

I'm working on a review of my sailing. Thanks again for everyone who posted!!

I am following your review on the other thread (very nice review and photos BTW). Perhaps you were not asked for your daughter's other ID because you and she look very much alike. I'm very glad it worked out for you, and I look forward to reading more of your superb review. But, your situation is a cautionary tale for others as it could have turned out very differently if the check-in agent had insisted. Glad that didn't happen.

I was told we have to have a passport now for all cruises..? :eek:

Not entirely true:

if you are cruising to and from the Caribbean, Bermuda, Mexico, and Canada from a U.S. port you do not need a passport– this is deemed a “closed loop” voyage. A closed-loop voyage or itinerary occurs when a vessel departs from a U.S. port or place and returns to the same U.S. port upon completion of the voyage.

DH and I always do "closed-loop" cruises but we still got passports to avoid any future headaches, especially if the rules change re: birth certificates on down the road. Back in '07, when these new rules were being talked about, the gov't passport agency got jammed with passport requests and it took some people many months to get passports.

The state department will do Same day emergency passports, you just need to find the office that will process it.

Phil

First of all, I know my daughter *should* have a passport, but she doesn't.

She is 17 and has had what's called a Walker ID from the Virginia DMV. We used it last year on our cruise.

Today, she went in to the DMV to take her Learner's Permit test. She passed and we thought she would get her Learner's Permit right away. Unfortunately, they have to mark her Virginia Walker's ID VOID and they will mail her her learner's permit. 7-10 days.

So, the only ID I have is a Va. Walker's ID, which is marked VOID, her birth certificate and a high school student ID from 2007-2008.

She also has a piece of paper which is her temporary driver's license, but it doesn't have a picture.

I called Carnival and they said she can only use the school ID and birth certificate. I don't have a recent student ID.

Any suggestions? We leave on Saturday.

Thanks so much! I hope my explanation wasn't too confusing.

Reminds me of my Elation cruise... my daughter then 18 and out of school, lost her drivers license, she had the paper one they issue but the date was expired. When we checked in at the airport she pulled out the paper one for id at the curb to check in for the flight - since it was expired the guy refused to check her in for the flight since she didnt have a current photo id - we were in panic and it took a few minutes trying to figure out what to do then it hit me she could use her passport - it had her photo on it. So you just never know.

If you do go for an expedited passport make sure you have an extra birth certificate just in case you dont get it back in time - since you have to send it in with the request. Good luck

I was told we have to have a passport now for all cruises..? :eek:

It depends on your cruise. If you depart from the U.S. and sail to certain ports (most of the Carib., Bermuda, Mexico, or Canada) AND the cruise ends at the same U.S. port you left from, then you can do it with a birth certificate and picture ID. Cruises that depart or end in Canada, Mexico, visit more distant ports such as Europe, or start in one U.S. City and end in another you must have a passport.

The passport is peace of mind for me. If you were to miss the ship and need to fly to the first port to catch up, you would have to have a passport to fly to anywhere other than Puerto Rico or St. Thomas. It also helps if you were to have an emergency and have to fly back home for some reason. The state department will get you emergency passports to get you back into the U.S. in this case, but it may not be as fast as you want and you would have to pay hefty expediting fees. I know with my parents getting older and my grandmother in her 90s, I certainly wouldn't want to be held up waiting for a passport if I had to fly home from a port to get to them.

Archived