Insulin Question...

baseballmom2

My FIL is diabetic and needs insulin and I wanted to know what those of you who take insulin (or other refrigerated meds) do with it? What I read online is that you can keep it at guest services b/c the refrigerators in the rooms are not cold enough but that seems like a pain.

Also does he need a doctors note or anything?

Thanks in advance!!! ;)

You're spot on... the fridges in the cabins are more coolers than anything else.

Guest Services will be glad to properly store the medication. It may be a pain but it's properly stored:

Diabetes/ Medicine Storage

If you are traveling with injectable medication(s) and need a container for disposal, please contact the Medical Center or Housekeeping onboard. Staterooms are equipped with mini-bars which are designed to maintain the temperature of beverages. Please do not use it to store medications that have specific temperature requirements. Should you need to store medicine that needs proper refrigeration, please visit Guest Services where access to a refrigerator is available 24 hours a day.

http://www.carnival.com/cms/fun/cruise_control/EMB_guest_specials_requirements.aspx?icid=CC_Footer_87

:)

Insulin is actually stable out of the fridge and at body temp for 30 days. I know you probably do not use a whole vial in thirty days, but you might be able to take a partly used vial and not have to worry about the cooling of it. Just thought this might be an option for you.

Diana

I get cartons of milk from the buffet and keep them in the fridge. I have done this on many cruises and the milk always stays cold enough. I think the cabin fridge will be fine for the insulin and the previous poster is correct....you do not really have to keep insulin in the fridge.

Someone on another thread posed the question re: refrigerated meds and a fellow poster said that you can get prior approval to have a medication fridge placed in your room. Not sure if that's true but you can always call ahead to Carnival and ask. You'd need a sharp's container as well.

Do not tote a whole lot of extra insulin. Keep it out of the sun and very hot weather. Stored at room temperature, modern insulins are good for at least 30 days. I carry mine in a Frio pouch. I use the bar in my stateroom while on the ship. Insulin is not all that fussy about temperature any longer.

Officially, one should store it at Guest Services. That is not exactly practical if one is on multiple daily injections. I use a pump and still consider that to be totally impractical.

Doc

We just came back from a cruise with my Father who is also insulin dependent.

You can keep it in your fridge (just ask them to unlock it for you). Also, you might want to call Carnival and have him fill out a special needs form - this is where you list if you have a medical issue.

When you do this, they will provide you with a sharps container in the room.

Have fun on your cruise!

PS - Let you FIL know that they did have a diet dessert every night on the menu, so he'll at least be able to order dessert (and it tastes pretty darn good!).

• 4 weeks later...

I have another insulin question. My husband is insulin dependent (Humalog and, Lantus) Unfortunately, we have to pay out of pocket for it. It's quite expensive. Next month, we'll be going to the Western Caribbean on the legend. Does anyone know if the pharmacy at the Cozumel cruise port has insulin and Lantus? Thanks.

I have another insulin question. My husband is insulin dependent (Humalog and, Lantus) Unfortunately, we have to pay out of pocket for it. It's quite expensive. Next month, we'll be going to the Western Caribbean on the legend. Does anyone know if the pharmacy at the Cozumel cruise port has insulin and Lantus? Thanks.

Last spring my husband and I took two b-b cruises on the imagination out of Miami, he accidentally left his humalog and lantus at the hotel in Weston. he remembered this as we were getting ready to sail :rolleyes: We went to the infirmary and bought a vial of each, it cost us less than $100.00 for BOTH. I thought that was a great deal as it is much more expensive here. They didn't have a very big supply of needles though (my husband uses the pens.) We were told to go to guest services and request a refrigerator (imagination does not have them in the rooms) and they promptly brought one. Actually insulin is stable for 30 days at room temp. do not let it get hot though. and if you don't have a fridge you can keep it in a ziplocked baggie with some air in it and put it in your ice bucket if it concerns you not to keep it cold. Good luck.

My husband is insulin dependent (Novolog and Lantus user). He uses the pen version of both these products, so they just need to be at room temp when he's using them (we usually bring an extra pen insert that we'll keep in the fridge just in case). The fridge that we've had in the past was fine for it.

Also, I definitely recommend filling out the special medical needs form (they should send it to you if you specify that your FIL is diabetic) and you might get a better fridge and the sharps container in your cabin.

Archived