Le havre to rouen fares

New_horizon

Hi

I have read all the information already posted on train travel from Le Havre to Rouen and was wondering if anyone knows the fares for the journey and whether it is necessary to prebook tickets. I have checked some internet sites but there seems to be a bit of difference in fares. I think perhaps it is due to the exchange rates from one currency to another. We are trying to decide whether it is better to just go on the ship's tour or go it alone.

Thank you

I paid € 25,40 for the return ticket in 2007. Of course it might be a little bit more today.

I bought it right at the train station for the next available train. No pre-booking was necessary.

Anyway I would buy the ticket directly from the French Railway in Euros and not pay any third party with unknown charges and exchange rates.

This past May we did take the train (round trip) from LeHavre to Rouen and really had a terrific day in Rouen. We do not recall the fare, but I do believe it was about $25 round trip, which represents a nice discount because we were able to get a senior fare (in France age 60 qualifies). The regular fare would probably be in the low $30 range. There is no reason to buy a ticket in advance for this route and if you do buy on RailEurope you will pay a higher fare for no real reason. By the way, DW and I actually walked from the port to the train station (maybe 1 1/2 miles). When we returned to LeHavre (it was a beautiful day) we decided to split a taxi with another couple back to the port. When we went behind the station to the taxi stand there were no taxis and there was a queue of about 20 folks waiting for taxis. In the end, we walked back to the port with our friends. We later heard that another couple had waited more then an hour to get a taxi. I suppose we could have used the local bus to get to near the port entrance (this would cut the walk in half) but we figured the exercise would do us good after eating all the food on the ship (this was a 42 day cruise).

Hank

Thank you everyone for the information, that is everything we needed to know. We will buy the ticket at the station. It is difficult to set a time to travel in advance and much easier just to make your way to the station as soon as you can get off the ship. The ship tour is more expensive and is limited to five hours whereas we have a long stop in Le Havre from 7 until 8 and may want to stay in Rouen longer or not go back on board until after we have looked at Le Havre.

Once again thank you everyone - this site is fantastic

Dianne

Thank you everyone for the information, that is everything we needed to know. We will buy the ticket at the station. It is difficult to set a time to travel in advance and much easier just to make your way to the station as soon as you can get off the ship. The ship tour is more expensive and is limited to five hours whereas we have a long stop in Le Havre from 7 until 8 and may want to stay in Rouen longer or not go back on board until after we have looked at Le Havre.

Once again thank you everyone - this site is fantastic

Dianne

You pre-book your tickets in the internet in English:

http://www.tgv-europe.com

DO NOT SELECT USA!!! Select other country and you can pre-book and only collect your tickets at the counter.

Or you try to use the machine:

http://heinbloed-cruiseguides.blogspot.com/2010/05/france-buying-french-train-tickets.html

Or you just go to the counter.

Regards

HeinBloed

I should have mentioned that the ticket office staff in the LeHavre train station were very helpful and several spoke some English (they were the ones that told us about the special senior rates). When you enter the front door of the station the ticket office is located on the right side.

Hank

• 2 weeks later...
Remember to ask for senior discount, if you qualify

Enjoy!!!

According to the fare rules:

DECOUVERTE SENIOR

Vous êtes sénior et voyagez occasionnellement en train, profitez de l'offre Découverte Sénior !

Principe de l'offre

Vous effectuez un aller-retour d’au moins 200 km et votre séjour comprend une nuit du samedi au dimanche.

Bénéficiaire

Vous effectuez un aller-retour d’au moins 200 km et votre séjour comprend une nuit du samedi au dimanche, vous pouvez bénéficier du tarif Découverte Sénior.

Vos déplacements

• Découverte Sénior permet de bénéficier de 25% de réduction dans les trains à réservation facultative et les TER pour les trajets commencés en période bleue du calendrier voyageurs.
  • Le trajet retour doit être commencé dans les 2 mois maximum suivant le début du trajet aller.
  • La réduction Découverte Sénior n'est pas applicable pour les billets délivrés à bord des trains.

You need to stay at least overnight Saturday to Sunday.

Then you get 25% on this tariff.

or you buy an annual Senior Pass for 56 EUR

CARTE SENIOR

Vous avez plus de 60 ans.

Principe de l'offre

La Carte Senior est une offre destinée aux personnes âgées de plus de 60 ans.

Vos déplacements

La Carte Sénior est valable 1 an.

Avantages

La Carte Senior vous permet de bénéficier de tarifs réduits sur un nombre illimité de trajets:

• Jusqu’à 50% de réduction*
    - à bord de TGV, Téoz, Lunéa et des Corail de nuit.
    - à bord de Corail, Corail Intercités et TER pour les trajets commencés en période bleue du Calendrier Voyageurs.
  • 25% de réduction* : dans tous les autres cas, quels que soient le train et le moment du départ.

La Carte Senior vous permet aussi de bénéficier de nombreux avantages auprès de nos partenaires Avis et Accor**.

*Réductions calculées, hors prestations supplémentaires payantes, sur le prix Loisir standard pour les trains à réservation obligatoire (TGV, Téoz, Lunéa et Corail de nuit), ou sur le tarif normal pour les trains soumis au Calendrier Voyageurs. Ces réductions sont applicables en trafic national (sauf trajets effectués intégralement en Ile-de-France) et sur la partie nationale de certains trains internationaux, dans la limite des places disponibles pour les réductions supérieures à 25%.

**Offres soumises à conditions (disponibles sur www.senior-sncf.com) et non cumulables avec d’autres promotions en cours. Offres liées à la présentation de la Carte Senior en cours de validité et dans la limite du partenariat entre la SNCF et les entreprises concernées.

Prix

La carte coûte 56 € (prix en vigueur au 01/07/2009).

Calculer un prix

Condition de vente

Pour obtenir votre Carte Senior :

• Rendez-vous sur www.senior-sncf.com,
  • Téléphonez au 36 35 (0,34€ TTC /min, hors surcoût éventuel),
  • Présentez-vous au guichet d'une gare, dans une boutique SNCF ou une agence de voyage agréée SNCF.

to qualify for 25% on peak time and 50% off-peak time.

Regards

HeinBloed

Heinrich, You certainly don't need us telling you things do not always work the way of the rules. We were quite surprised in Le Havre when the ticket agent looked at us (guess we look old) and said he could give us a senior rate. He did not ask for ID or any kind of senior card but merely sold us "senior" tickets. A few minutes later we were out in the waiting area and mentioned this to several other fellow cruise ship passengers who had already purchased full-fare tickets. They went running back inside the ticket office and were also able to get the senior discounts (the price difference was immediately refunded).

Hank

Heinrich, You certainly don't need us telling you things do not always work the way of the rules. We were quite surprised in Le Havre when the ticket agent looked at us (guess we look old) and said he could give us a senior rate. He did not ask for ID or any kind of senior card but merely sold us "senior" tickets. A few minutes later we were out in the waiting area and mentioned this to several other fellow cruise ship passengers who had already purchased full-fare tickets. They went running back inside the ticket office and were also able to get the senior discounts (the price difference was immediately refunded).

Hank

Fares for regional traffic is subject to the decision of the provinces and are subject to change.

I do not doubt your experience but I cannot see how actual they are nor where you made the experience.

All I did was trying to verify if there is such a tarif and as I am quite well in French I only translate the essentials into English which I found here:

http://www.ter-sncf.com/Regions/haute_normandie/Fr/Se_deplacer_en_TER/Avant_mon_voyage/Produits_et_prix/Tarifs.aspx?depart=LE+HAVRE&departt=LE+HAVRE&arrivee=ROUEN+RIVE+DROITE&arriveet=ROUEN+RIVE+DROITE&ctcr=LR25&ctcrt=Billet+%C3%A0+25%25+avec+la+D%C3%A9couverte+Senior+&classe=2

Neither I recommend not to try to ask for nor anything else but just repeating in English.

All I said was according to the actual tarif information on French Railways' website you need to travel overnight Saturday/Sunday or to have an annual pass for 56 EUR.

Fare rule changes so I just repeat what you can actually find on French Railways' website to avoid disappointments if there are no discounts.

I am happy for any cruiser who can go on discounted tickets.

If the ticket officers sell tickets at unpublished fare: happy for those who got one.

Therefore I do not see a need why you attacked me.

Regards

HeinBloed

Egads, we sure did not intend the post as an attack. Sorry that you took it that way cause no offense was intended. We were just trying to clarify that however or whatever rules they use, the discount (we think it was 25%) does exist. But since we do understand that rules have more meaning on your side of the Atlantic we did a couple of minutes research and think we found the actual applicable rule which the SNCF call a "Discovery Fare." Here is a copy of the part related to Seniors:

Discovery Senior (Découverte Senior)

Even if you only travel occasionally, you can still benefit from the Discovery Senior discount if you produce documentary proof that you are over 60 years of age. This tariff offers a discount of 25% on the basic fare:

* On TGV and sleeping accommodation of Main Lines trains, subject to availibility

* In upright seats of other trains Main Line and Regional for journeys started in the blue period shown on the Travellers calendar.

The Discovery Senior discount does not apply to tickets purchased on board.

Hank

• 5 months later...
Once you get off the train in Rouen do you have to take a cab/bus or can you just walk in to town:confused:

The answer really depends on how much you like to walk. The station is in the city and about a 15 min walk into the heart of the city. When we were last there in May or June (hard to remember the exact day) we walked all over town and never felt the need for a taxi or public transit. We even walked both ways to the train station in LeHavre, but many others on our ship did use a taxi.

Hank

Archived