Urgent! Need Help -- Liberty v. Dream

wintim

This board has never let me down before, so here I go again. I am a several time cruiser (Celebrity, Disney, Norweigan, Holland America), but have never cruised Carnival. I will be traveling with my husband and 3 (almost 4) year old son.

We have decided at the last minute to take a cruise Labor Day week and want to give Carnival a try. I am debating between the Liberty and the Dream. I have not had time to do my usual weeks worth of research, but the bottom line is that I think I would like the route for the Liberty better (Half Moon Cay and Grand Turk ROCK!), but I love being on newer ships like the Dream and I have not been to Belize, Roatan or Costa Maya.

Please help!!! Direct, frank opinions appreciated. Oh, and if I am missing another ship or itenarary you think is fabulous, please let me know. THANKS ALL!!!

I would go with the Dream. For one its a new ship and I must say the outside looks AMAZING not sailed her yet but I want too. And I just got back from Rotan and Belize and loved the ports been to CM a long time ago and love it too.. Which ever you decide have a blast.

This board has never let me down before, so here I go again. I am a several time cruiser (Celebrity, Disney, Norweigan, Holland America), but have never cruised Carnival. I will be traveling with my husband and 3 (almost 4) year old son.

We have decided at the last minute to take a cruise Labor Day week and want to give Carnival a try. I am debating between the Liberty and the Dream. I have not had time to do my usual weeks worth of research, but the bottom line is that I think I would like the route for the Liberty better (Half Moon Cay and Grand Turk ROCK!), but I love being on newer ships like the Dream and I have not been to Belize, Roatan or Costa Maya.

Please help!!! Direct, frank opinions appreciated. Oh, and if I am missing another ship or itenarary you think is fabulous, please let me know. THANKS ALL!!!

I would pick the Liberty. I have done that HMC-GT itin and it is one of the best IMO. Liberty isn't quite as new as Dream, but it's still pretty new and a wonderful ship. Also, I think you will find that people so far generally like Liberty over Dream.

Just got off the Liberty and it is a great ship! Everything in great shape, easy to navigate, very few lines, no huge crowds to contend with, excellent service and food............we had a wonderful cruise!

My DH and I just got off the Dream a month ago and it was our first cruise. We had an absolutely amazing time. I think the dream would be best. There are a lot of things to do for children. Belize and Rotan was amazing. I would definitely go back. We loved it so much we bought a future cruise certificate the last night of our cruise. My vote is the Dream. She is BEAUTIFUL!!

We've been on the Liberty and sister ships and have done both itineraries. I'm thinking with a young child the Liberty ports would be more relaxing. There are lots of fun activities in Belize (cave tubing, etc) and Roatan has great snorkeling but I, personally, would wait until my child was older and he could enjoy them too. The Liberty is a great ship.

Sounds like you're looking at the Dream's Western Itinerary vs. Liberty's Eastern. How about the Dream's Eastern (nassau / st thomas / st maarten) instead?

Dream = over crowded and not enough public space for passenger capacity... overrated ship

Liberty = better passenger flow and less overcrowding.....gets overall good reviews... I'd choose the Liberty over the Dream in a heartbeat ! Better itinerary for the entire family too :)

Been on both ships , Liberty twice , while I will sail on the Dream again , though in a cove balcony , I still like the Liberty better .

But that leads to what Iten is better for you , and what port you would rather sail out of . I dislike the port of Miami , but I love the port of Ft. Lauderdale and Port Canaveral . So I guess I would sail on the Dream before Liberty based on departure ports .

What is more important to you? Itinerary or ship?

If the ship is your destination, then I vote for the Dream. It has a few extra amenities over the Liberty although the Liberty is a beautiful ship. The best production show on the seas right now is on the Dream - Dancin' in the Streets..best show we have seen on 22 cruises. Also, the CD is Butch Begovich ....an amazing CD.:)

The itinerary on the Liberty is awesome although we missed Half Moon Cay last October on the Liberty. The captain substituted Nassau which was such a disappointment.

IMHO, I would choose the Dream. We were on the 9 day Dream cruise to the Eastern last December and this November will go on the Western itinerary.

We were on the Liberty last May going through Western Caribbean and it was awesome! Wasn’t crowed, very smooth sailing, food was good, and the crew jammed all types of entertainment for the three days we were at sea. I would definitely go Western Caribbean over Eastern since the oil spill L

Newer ship may have more going for it for OP's 4-year old. We have been on Liberty twice. The Farcus design with all of that neon might not sit so well with some like OP who has gone more upscale in the past. I have not been on Dream. But it doesn't seem quite as gaudy in pictures.

We were on the Liberty last May going through Western Caribbean and it was awesome! Wasn’t crowed, very smooth sailing, food was good, and the crew jammed all types of entertainment for the three days we were at sea. I would definitely go Western Caribbean over Eastern since the oil spill L

You seriously think the spill has any bearing on the Eastern itinieraries? You know how car St. T is from the gulf?

Newer ship may have more going for it for OP's 4-year old. We have been on Liberty twice. The Farcus design with all of that neon might not sit so well with some like OP who has gone more upscale in the past. I have not been on Dream. But it doesn't seem quite as gaudy in pictures.

We were on the Liberty last week and I don't remember any neon...........?? The theme of the decor overall was more Venetian with lots of glass, tile and metal. That said, however, some of the choices of materials and colors that were combined made me scratch my head, but I definitely wouldn't call the Liberty's decor "neon"!!

We were on the Liberty last week and I don't remember any neon...........?? The theme of the decor overall was more Venetian with lots of glass, tile and metal. That said, however, some of the choices of materials and colors that were combined made me scratch my head, but I definitely wouldn't call the Liberty's decor "neon"!!

Bad choice of words. I guess I meant tacky lighting. The atrium area is enough to produce headaches.

Again we have posters here who give wrong information

Liberty has very little "neon" ...the ship is light and bright and airy compared to other carnival ships, a "Tuscan" theme in atrium/lobby with whitewashed walls, terra cotta "planters" and "wrought iron", many lovely chandeliers in the promenade

It is a beautiful ship and the decor gets many many compliments

I think Liberty is one of the most "well liked" ships, very very few if any negatives about it.....

Port of Miami?? for the person who doesn't like it when were you there/?

some years ago it was like a warehouse but now POM is fantastic, so quick, kiosks, lots of people to help, lots of comfy seating, so easy ..it is fantastic

Dream seems to get mixed reviews although it has a few more bells and whistles

but...Liberty gets consistent good reviews and few bad, maybe not as much hoopla cause as I have said before that the "squeaky wheels" (problems) get many more reviews/posts

the ports on Liberty are great too....and ones you won't get to on Royal or NCL (ie, Half Moon Cay)

having said that, Dream does have some nice features and the show "Dancing in the Street" gets raves. Also a "pasta bar" that looks cool

either way, enjoy Carnival....you will probably love the food , it is really good :)

My point relating to the tacky lighting on the Liberty was relative to what OP may be used to on cruise lines she has used in the past. It is just a stark contrast to more upscale lines. I have been on the ship a couple of times and had good cruises. But just looking at photos, the Dream appears to be a bit more relaxed and subdued in its design. I'll find out next summer when we go on the Magic. I am hoping that Farcus has toned it down a bit for that ship. So far, I like what I see in the previews. I will be a bit disappointed if it is too much like the Liberty.

Archived