Do we really need Passports?, Help!

angelskath

Hey guys,

This is my families first cruise. My DH, Myself and my DD's 3 & 11 are going on the Miracle in June to the Western Carribean. I just found out the cost of passports is going to be $310.00. Do we really have to have them or will Birth Certificates do the job just as well? I could use this money on something else if I can.

Thanks

Kath:) :) :) :)

Ask your travel agent, but you most likely do not NEED them in the Caribbean. However, in this post- 9/11 world, I would not leave U.S. soil without one. What happens if you miss the ship in port or have some type of emergency (medical or other) that interrupts your trip and you are stranded someplace? That's just the opinion of someone who is prepared and conservative. Others will no doubt disagree, but it is obviously your call.

If you do go the birth certificate route, make sure they are the official state-issued raised seal certificates, not the ones the hospital may have provided. Have a wonderful trip, whatever you decide.

Guest Time2gocruzn

We are going on the Miracle w carib in March. Myself, DH and 2 boys (2 yo and 4 yo) We opted not to get passports. They are not required in the ports we are going to. I know for my kids they say only a birth certificate is necessary, but I felt better having a picture ID./ I went to my local DOT here, got them a state issued ID card, only $5 each. Looks just like a driver license. I did order DH and mysef new birth certificates, as ours both looked pretty old. I am also taking our marriage license. It is not required, but I just stuck it in with the rest of the papers, just in case.

I just couldn't justify the expense of a passports for all of us. We do not travel enough to make it worth it. I know they are good for 15 years and all that, I know they are the best thing to have and I have read all the horror stories here. I weighed the pros and cons and I think that BC's and DL's will be just fine for us. Thousands of people sail with them everyday and are fine. :cool: :) GL!

Lot's of strong opinions on this topic, so in the end, just use your best judgement;) :)

I know they seem costly, but they make checking in for flights, getting through airport security, and Border crossings (IE: Niagara Falls, Canada) a whole lot easier. We also carry our driver's license to be used with our cruise account card (Sign & Sail) to show to the port security to get back on the ship. Almost every place since 9/11 now requires proof of citizenship and a photo ID. The passport accomplishes both. Just my opinion. I would take the recommendation and get them for you and your spouse and hold off on the kids until your next cruise. Which will be relatively soon after you finish your first one.:D If you do get passports, be sure to make photocopies and keep one copy at home and one copy in your carryon luggage. It simplifies getting a replacement if you should need one.

Ok, this could easily be incorrect information on behalf of our travel agent. But my family is going on Carnival Pride to Mexico in June, and she specificially told us we absolutely have to have passports or could be denied boarding!

It would be horrible if you skipped getting passports and ended up being turned away at the ship on the day of your depature. Please get the passports, its so much better to be safe. And if you don't get them, I would make sure you at least get something in writing from Carnival stating that you don't need them, so they can't prevent you from going on your cruise.

I agree with others, while it may not be 'required', it would be recommended, more so for the adults in my opinion...

Take a look at http://www.wvdot.com/6_motorists/dmv/6g1a_licenseinfo.htm#Child%20Identification%20Cards under 'Child Identification Card' for West Virginia. Those are only $5 and along with the kids certified birth certificates would be a whole lot better than birth certificate only. State issued ID's like these can easily prove who they are and who they belong to.....

Once you get yours and your DH passports, you can also use that as a good excuse to go on more cruises... We have passports and need to use them; at least that is what my DW and I tell people!

Like others have said, we carry copies of our passports with us (leaving the originals in the ships safe), and leave a copy with relatives. In the event of an unlikely problem the copy may not be totally valid, but will at least provide all the information needed as well as proof that we do have them......

in this post- 9/11 world, I would not leave U.S. soil without one.

True words of wisdom. Maybe it's just me, but I've never quite understood the logic behind "let's spend thousands of dollars on a cruise and hundreds more once onboard, but get all concerned about the expense of passports..."

Especially given the reality of cross-border travel post 9/11. I'll cut costs when I can, but never, ever with the security of my family.

Like others have said, we carry copies of our passports with us (leaving the originals in the ships safe), and leave a copy with relatives. In the event of an unlikely problem the copy may not be totally valid, but will at least provide all the information needed as well as proof that we do have them......

We would never step onto ANY foreign country without our original passports in hand. A copy of a passport is NOT legal identification of citizenship.

Miss the ship in Grand Cayman? You may be able to get to the airport to try to get a flight to Mexico to catch up with it, but they'll laugh at you at the ticket counter when you try to present a copy of a passport as I.D. And yes, you can rush to the "local" U.S. Consulate and show them your copy to request a replacement original, but be prepared to wait 3-4 days.

Ok, this could easily be incorrect information on behalf of our travel agent. But my family is going on Carnival Pride to Mexico in June, and she specificially told us we absolutely have to have passports or could be denied boarding!

It would be horrible if you skipped getting passports and ended up being turned away at the ship on the day of your depature. Please get the passports, its so much better to be safe. And if you don't get them, I would make sure you at least get something in writing from Carnival stating that you don't need them, so they can't prevent you from going on your cruise.

Cyn, if you are going on the PRIDE to the Mexican Riviera you DO NOT need passports. Your TA is wrong! Birth certificate and Drivers License are all you need. Now, I'm not saying a passport isnt a smarter way to go...but, it isnt mandatory.

Miss the ship in Grand Cayman? You may be able to get to the airport to try to get a flight to Mexico to catch up with it, but they'll laugh at you at the ticket counter when you try to present a copy of a passport as I.D. And yes, you can rush to the "local" U.S. Consulate and show them your copy to request a replacement original, but be prepared to wait 3-4 days.

A US Consulate will issue a replacement passport same day. The replacement passport issued may be valid for only 1 year (doesn't have the biometrics or something). Having a copy of the picture page of your original passport makes it very easy for them to replace it. My Wife had her passport replaced in 10 minutes (I kid you not) by taking a copy of her passport to the US consulate in Paris, France. She was robbed while in France on a missions trip two years ago.

This said, I wouldn't leave the passport on the ship (or in my Wife's purse)

A US Consulate will issue a replacement passport same day. The replacement passport issued may be valid for only 1 year (doesn't have the biometrics or something). Having a copy of the picture page of your original passport makes it very easy for them to replace it. My Wife had her passport replaced in 10 minutes (I kid you not) by taking a copy of her passport to the US consulate in Paris, France. She was robbed while in France on a missions trip two years ago.

This said, I wouldn't leave the passport on the ship (or in my Wife's purse)

I think I will carry a copy of the passport with me, however not together with the original. That way if I get stranded and the original was taken in the process I would still have a copy to get a new one quickly. Although being stranded and having the passport stolen would probably be unlikely.

I will still take the chance of theft and carry my original when cruising to foreign countries. Not worth the hassle.

I think what people don't think about is if you are on a land based vacation in a foreign country you could leave the original in a hotel safe and still get to it if necessary. If you are left behind by the cruise ship you sure as heck are not going to be able to get to your original passport.

Hey guys,

This is my families first cruise. My DH, Myself and my DD's 3 & 11 are going on the Miracle in June to the Western Carribean. I just found out the cost of passports is going to be $310.00. Do we really have to have them or will Birth Certificates do the job just as well? I could use this money on something else if I can.

Thanks

Kath

Kath:

Hello fellow West Virginian!

Our family cruise is also in June to the Western Carribean and the bigWhat ifsinvolved in not having passports for my DW and three sons, convinced me that the cost was worth the peace of mind in knowing that we wouldn't be hassled with positive proof of citizenship should we need to depart the ship for whatever reason. Yes, they are expensive, but not as expensive as not having them when needed could be.

You know and I know that West By God Virginians would rather present our WV ID but, for whatever reason, many countries want proof of our country instead of our state. ;) I don't know what they're thinking but I'll be able to show them my passport though I'll definately tell them I'm from West Virginia. :cool:

Two points:

The "replacement passport" referenced above was a temporary travel document, not an actual replacement passport. The State Department no longer provides immediate full replacement passports overseas (and in fact hasn't since April of 2002):

Second -- and more importantly -- the above conveniently presumes someone has immediate access to a U.S. consulate.

In the example I provided earlier (someone "stuck" in Grand Cayman,) good luck - there is no U.S. Consulate there.

In fact, the only U.S. Consulates in the Caribbean are in:

Belize

Nassua

Mexico

Curacao

The logistics involved in communicating with any of those offices if you are hundreds of miles away on another island are going to shall we say "slow down" the process of getting a temporary passport replacement.

So I stand by my original comment: a photocopy is not an ironclad backup to an original passport. Go ashore with just that?

Be my guest.

Archived