Do we really need Passports?, Help!

angelskath

The answer to your question runs along the same lines as the debate over buying insurance vs. not buying insurance.....how much are you willing to risk??? How daring are you? What is YOUR comfort level???

Someone like me who buys insurance for my cruise always travels outside the US with a passport these days. Years ago, I just used a birth certificate...but things were different then, plus...I was young and worried less about everything (those were the days!!! :D )

I have to say that I would ESPECIALLY when traveling with my children, NOT want to be taking chances. I understand as a parent that sometimes $300 can be painful to part with...but if you look at your checkbook and notice all the ridiculous things you wind up shelling out money for as a parent, you'll see that although $300 seems like a big chunk of cash..especially when you are shelling out so much for the cruise in the first place, that the $300 is AT LEAST sensibly spent, compared to most of the stuff you get nickled and dimed for on a daily basis.

Consider it an investment!!

My attitude about passports are that having one gets me that much closer to having a pasta dinner in Venice....now all I need is some $$$$$ ;) .

Greetings All!

My hubby and I have travelled to many destinations and up till a few years ago (after 911) we never had a passport, only our Drivers License and Birth Certs. We never had any problems, customs or otherwise....

Now we do carry our Passports, that are good for 10 years and it is actually much easier when travelling...just whip out the passport and go.

I always carry my original Passport with me we purchased some Aquapac ID pouches that we wear around our neck most of the time, even on the ship. The bags are so nice to carry any important doucments, credit cards, small jewelry and what not...they can be put under your shirt for discreation, but the nice thing is they are 110% waterproof, so when we go on shore excursions....they come with us with our SS Cards and we have them handy for any emergency....you forget you have them around your neck after awhile...we snorkel, cave tube and everything with them! You can purchase the bags here..... I purchased two waterproof ID holders but they can hold more. There are secret comparts in them to hid your money, credit cards and such..about the only time we don't were them is on formal nights for the dining room and pictures, then we keep them in our safe.

http://www.waterproofcases.net/idpouch.html

Cyn, if you are going on the PRIDE to the Mexican Riviera you DO NOT need passports. Your TA is wrong! Birth certificate and Drivers License are all you need. Now, I'm not saying a passport isnt a smarter way to go...but, it isnt mandatory.

Ah well- I'm glad I have one anyway. It seems to be a good idea to have one. :)

Two points:

The "replacement passport" referenced above was a temporary travel document, not an actual replacement passport. The State Department no longer provides immediate full replacement passports overseas (and in fact hasn't since April of 2002):

Second -- and more importantly -- the above conveniently presumes someone has immediate access to a U.S. consulate.

QUOTE]

I couldn't agree more - If you have access to a consulate, you can get a 1 year replacement passport very quickly if you have a copy of your original passport. When we travel outside the country, we always have a copy of our passports separate from our real passports, we also have them on file with our Church (they can fax to a consulate if needed). I would never try to use the copy like it was a real passport - it's simply there to help get a replacement sooner.

On a land based trip, I will normaly leave the passports secured in the hotel safe - on a cruise trip, I will always carry them off the ship with us.

By the way - the 1 year passports look exactly the same as a regular 10 year passport. Since you have to pay for them, they come with a voucher for a no-cost 10 year passport you can use when you return to the states. You mail the temp to washington with two new pictures, they cancel the temp and send it and your new 10 year passport back to you.

;)

On a land based trip, I will normaly leave the passports secured in the hotel safe - on a cruise trip, I will always carry them off the ship with us.;)

Hits the nail right on the head relative to a critical dynamic that makes passport utilization on a cruise different than on a land trip (which the State Department has completely missed in its official public communications).

Specifically, the State Department recommends that Americans "not carry their passports around with them will in foreign countries." Instead, it recommends that they should be left in a hotel safe, were they can be accessed in the event of an emergency.

What the State Department completely ignores is what happens when the "safe" sails away!

I realize that Carnival says that we can use our expired passports, but has anyone ever used one? We travel in March so I am afraid to apply for another one now since I would have to hand in my expired passport with the application. My daughter has an expired passport, but she was 5 at the time and now she is 13. Would she have any trouble?

Preach on Karen. Passports are so much easier whether it is for the cruise, flights, whatever. I even got one for my 7 year old. You flash a passort and usually no more questions asked. Better than digging out the drivers license and BC and worrying over the "raised seal" and "married/maiden name" and "can't find it what do I do" debates.

From the US Department of State website:

Age 16 and older: The passport fee is $55. The execution fee is $30. The total is $85.

Under Age 16: The passport fee is $40. The execution fee is $30. The total is $70.

Passport Renewal (Form DS-82)

Non-Refundable

You may use this form if your previous passport:

1. Was issued when you were 16 or older.

2. Was issued in the last 15 years.

3. Is not damaged.

4. Is submitted with your application.

The total fee is $55.

Expedited Service - Add $60 for each application

Having just spent $472 on passports for my family that only last 5 years (Canadian), I can understand your thinking. BUT the peace of mind that comes with knowing you have them in a foreign country is worth it, I think. Unfortunately if we are standed on an Island, we will only have copies, as it seems the cruise lines like to keep Canadian passports from what I have read.:confused:

Archived