Where do I go to watch salmon in Ketchikan for free?

oceanfun77

We were there August 25th, found that you could follow Creek Street up and around towards the Raptor Center. Once past the fish ladder, the creek widens and flattens out in terms of rocks, etc. Attached picture shows the fact that you could actually walk across the creek on the backs of salmon. Once you get to the Raptor Center, walk towards the Totem Center, and you can get down to the creek and watch the spawning action at your feet. Highlight of our cruise

DSCN1679.jpg.b70bfcbb9f5d323d82a4c8e7202562b5.jpg

OK..so I know our trip is not until next year AND its MAY 14th...I'm assuming we will not be seeing any salmon this month!? =( boo!!!

We were there in early July and did not see salmon. Sorry, but you may be out of luck to see them.

OK..so I know our trip is not until next year AND its MAY 14th...I'm assuming we will not be seeing any salmon this month!? =( boo!!!
Think positively! That just gives you one more reason to book another cruise and go back again.

Your google key can provide all kinds of information. ie here is info on fish caught in Ketchikan and when.

http://www.sf.adfg.state.ak.us/Static/Region1/guides/PDFs/ktn_salmon.pdf

There's a fish hatchery near town that offers tours. It is mentioned in the link above as a place to watch salmon. Give them a call and see if it would be a worthwhile visit in May. Sounds like you might see early Kings.

http://www.kictribe.org/businesses/dmthec/index.html#tours

Question: We saw people fishing off the bridge. My husband had understood they don't eat on their way upstream? So do people just get lucky and hook them or did we understand wrong and the salmon are interested in biting the lures being used?

They may have been snagging. This is allowed in limited areas. You use a large, nasty weighed hook and try to hook it on the salmon's body somewhere.

When getting ready to spawn, the fish aren't feeding, but they will be aggressive--watch them fight in the streams--and will strike at lures.

Archived