Bringing Items Onboard "down the line"

hcrane

Traveling this October 25 on QM2's New England cruise followed by a B2B TA. Since I live in Boston and QM2 stops in Boston, would it be a problem bringing "monster bag" on in Boston instead of taking it to New York or using White Star Luggage service.

I've noticed the scanners used in re-boarding probably would not be big enough to handle a large suitcase.

In addition to the suitcase, I plan on bringing a couple of cases of Coke Zero too - I assume that will not be an issue.

Traveling this October 25 on QM2's New England cruise followed by a B2B TA. Since I live in Boston and QM2 stops in Boston, would it be a problem bringing "monster bag" on in Boston instead of taking it to New York or using White Star Luggage service.

I've noticed the scanners used in re-boarding probably would not be big enough to handle a large suitcase.

In addition to the suitcase, I plan on bringing a couple of cases of Coke Zero too - I assume that will not be an issue.

Seems a good idea to me. If your monster bag does not fit into the scanner then they will just use the back-up method, i.e. open the bag and do a manual search. Obviously to help the other passengers try to re-board at a time when they are unlikely to be busy.

Hi hcrane. If it were me, I'd call Cunard and ask them if that was permissible.

Personally, I wouldn't be able to get a monster bag and a couple of cases of soda up the boarding ramp in Boston and lug it to my stateroom without creating a nuisance, even if it was all on wheels.:eek: BTW, I wouldn't bring cases of soda on-board at any port and then carry them on elevators & down hallways busy with other passengers and crew, assuming Cunard even permitted it. Instead, I'd buy a 6-pack of soda or two at the each of other New England ports and discreetly carry it back on board in a shopping bag. But that's just my humble suggestion for what it's worth.;)

Cheers,

Salacia

Hi hcrane. If it were me, I'd call Cunard and ask them if that was permissible.

Personally, I wouldn't be able to get a monster bag and a couple of cases of soda up the boarding ramp in Boston and lug it to my stateroom without creating a nuisance, even if it was all on wheels.:eek: BTW, I wouldn't bring cases of soda on-board at any port and then carry them on elevators & down hallways busy with other passengers and crew, assuming Cunard even permitted it. Instead, I'd buy a 6-pack of soda or two at the each of other New England ports and discreetly carry it back on board in a shopping bag. But that's just my humble suggestion for what it's worth.;)

Cheers,

Salacia

P.S. Or perhaps there will be longshoremen and porters to transport your luggage from the pier to your stateroom? (I didn't see any on the two times I was on QM2 when she visited the Boston port.) Cunard will be able to tell you if longshoremen/porters be on-duty...if so,you may have no problems doing what you've proposed :) Good luck.

You might get some teasing from the security on the gangway, but I have brought a suitcase on board that I had to purchase to get myself home and believe me it was not empty when I came onto the ship. As to the soda, I think some sort of carry-on bag would work better than actual cases. Done this at Southampton mid-way through a cruise.

Either way you will be on your own getting your stuff to the cabin. Good luck !

To clarify the cases of soda in boxes would be harder to move around than if they were in a wheeled bag or carry-on

Thanks all for the replies!

Salacia - thanks for bringing up the transporting of cases - it make me realize that I would have to get the soda from one cabin to another - I'm thinking more along the lines of those refrigerator boxes which hold 12 cans - no plastic either.

PeterSt - thanks for the advice about getting the bag on at a quiet time.

Sauer-kraut - the bag really isn't that big - it's the same one I used last year and I had no problems getting it back to Boston

PvTraveller - see you on board!:D

I think I'm going to use the luggage service - 'taint gettin' any younger and I can't take it with me....

Archived