Nice vs Eve...or both?

Ashlm85

My husband and I will be in Nice for a day (10-8) while on our cruise and I'm wondering if Eze is really worth the trip. I know it's not that far, but I don't want to get stuck in a tourist trap and/or miss time better well spent in Nice.

I know that the views are spectacular, but we'll have spent 4 days in the Amalfi Coast, so I don't want to go simply for the views. I'd really appreciate any opinions on staying just in Nice or going to Eze as well. Oh and I know that one of the biggest draws is the flower market in Nice, and it's a Monday, so there will be the antiques market instead, if that makes a difference.

Thanks for all the help!! :D

I really enjoyed Eze and to me, it was worth the trip from Nice. So many people are anxious to see the larger towns and forget how charming the smaller towns can be. We didn't hike the way up, but instead took the shuttle, walked around the village, and had a wonderful lunch on the cliffside, and yes ... with an amazing view of Villefrance, Nice, and St. Tropez. If you have the time, go for it!

My husband and I will be in Nice for a day (10-8) while on our cruise and I'm wondering if Eze is really worth the trip. I know it's not that far, but I don't want to get stuck in a tourist trap and/or miss time better well spent in Nice. I know that the views are spectacular, but we'll have spent 4 days in the Amalfi Coast, so I don't want to go simply for the views. I'd really appreciate any opinions on staying just in Nice or going to Eze as well. Oh and I know that one of the biggest draws is the flower market in Nice, and it's a Monday, so there will be the antiques market instead, if that makes a difference. Thanks for all the help!! :D

Much of it is a "PERSONAL CHOICE" depending on your interests and travel style. You could stay "loose", prepared for either of these great options. Much depends, also, on the weather and what else you've already seen and done during your cruise. Some love the cities and urban setting. Others go towards more of the country and nature settings. How much do you want to see and do more . . . versus . . . just relax and enjoy?

Tell us more! Then, with more detailed information from you, we can make better, more specific suggestions on what best fits your needs and interests. Are you more of a rush-rush and gulp it down like soda pop or beer . . . OR . . . sip and savor the moment like fine wine, doing people watching, sensing an enjoyment of life and the humanity, the architecture, history and charm?

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For more details, great visuals, etc., from our July 1-16 Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle Silver Cloud experiences:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Well I guess my concern lied with the bus only comes about once every 1 1/2 hours. By the time we got off the ship we would have to wait until about 11:30 to get the bus. Then we would come back around 3-4. So I just didn't know if that left me enough time in Nice. It sort of seemed like there would be a lot of wasted time waiting for the bus. I know we could take a taxi, but they're pretty costly. We have private guides in all the other areas, and Nice seemed like somewhere we could easily DIY.

However, if Eze is really worth it, than I'd like to go. I just didn't want to get caught up in a tourist trap.

I appreciate the advice about the weather though. I hadn't thought of that. If it is bad weather, I think Eze may not be what we want to do....

So confusing!!! Thanks! :D

I thought that it was well worth the trip to Eze Village, and even though you'll enjoy the spectacular views in Amalfi for 4 days, I think you will still be in awe of the views from the top of Eze Village (in the garden area.) The gardens themselves are also worth seeing. We aren't shoppers, but couldn't resist popping into a few shops because of their cave like setting in the rocks.

I can understand not wanting to devote half your day to this, especially if you want to focus on Nice, but you could do it 3 hours... 20 minutes each way on the bus, plus two hours in Eze Village.

With two choices of buses that do a direct run to Eze Village (#82 and #112) and having the schedules for both with you, it would be easy to plan your trip without waiting at the bus stops for more than 5 or 10 minutes.

With an 8 p.m. departure from Nice, I would be tempted to head to Eze Village mid-afternoon, after you've explored Nice. By doing that, you might miss some of the crowds in Eze that will be there on bus tours.

No need to decide ahead of time ... just take the schedules for #82 and #112 with you, along with a map with the bus stops that you would use in Nice marked on it, and you can decide once you are there whether to go or not.

Thanks for the response Susan! I just printed out the bus schedules ;)

ALSO! I just realized I spelled Eze...Eve. Ooopps! :o

Susan...you are awesome with all your information. I email the tourist bureau and they told me to take the 80 to Col Villefranche to pick up the 82. The schedules seem really hard to read.

In response to your email, we inform you that you can take 80 direction Riquier from the bus stop "Port de la Santé" to Col de Villefranche" and make a connection with the line 82 direction Plateau de la Justice from the bus stop "Col de Villefranche" to "Eze Village". It will take 15 minutes and 1 euro per person. The ticket will allow you to make the connection. Please find enclosed timetables. We hope this information satisfies your request, please accept our best regards.

Any thoughts about this or can you just walk to Col de Villefranche?

bedazzling ... thank you.:)

Taking #80 from the port in VF could be a good option if you can connect at Col de Villefranche without waiting too long. However, I think you are there on Sunday, Sept. 26th, and since #80 runs very infrequently on Sundays (every 2 hours or so) it could mean a long wait at the port to get the bus, and from what I can see, a long wait to connect to #82.

I'm not sure what link the tourist office sent, but I like using these schedules.

#80 schedule & #82 schedule

If you arrive in VF at 10, the first bus (on #80) from the port after that is at 12:30, arriving at Col de VF at 12:40. #82 stops at Col de VF at 12:30 (you've missed that one) and not again until 2:05.

Re walking up to the Col de VF bus stop ... pls see this thread.

Just to add, since #100 offers frequent service on Sunday (every 20 minutes), it seems like a better option to take it and connect either in Nice with #82 or the other direction to Eze bord de Mer with #83, but you'll want to time your departure on #100 to coincide with a convenient connection time for either 82 or 83 to avoid waiting.

Finally, not sure if you've seen this schedule summary, but you might find it less confusing than the full schedules.

Thanks Susan. Somehow I'll get it to connect. The 100 to Nice seems best, then the 82. I just need to be sure I connect carefully on the return. I thought I saw there was a bus that goes directly back to Villefranche. I guess I'll reread the posts. I think the tricky part is that it is a Sunday.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived