What exactly is the smoking policy???

Is it REALLY him or a ghost writer (maybe atrusted employee) that does it for him,...???

No,Frank is posting on the Oceania board.He is very hands on with the company.The new ship Marina looks great wtih some wonderful suites and a lot of restaurants.I nearly booked but decided not to after reading the Oceania boards.Ofcourse getting your head around the number of guests onboard is a consideration.

Just returned from 2 weeks on the Sojourn . . . previously sailed Azamara and Oceania several times. This was not an upgrade, unfortunately. Not sure what we were expecting since this was our first Seabourn cruise, but we were definitely looking for something that would make Seabourn different . . . set it apart from the others we've sailed on . . . perhaps something we'd want to come back to. The smoking was very apparent from halls to lounges to rooms to balconies. Such a shame with a new ship. The food was good but no better and, in fact, came with a rather limited menu. The entertainment was good but no better. And the service was very good but no better. So right now we'll return to Oceania and Azamara, primarily due to the smoking issue, which seem to have better control and restrictions on smoking. The itinerary, if anything, will really have to be pretty special to sail with Seabourn again. And parking spots in most ports on this cruise were trumped by Oceania, megaships and even ferries. A couple of positive notes . . . we were upgraded to . . . yes . . . a handicapped room! Plenty of room and those ugly bars were really no problem at all, kujo. And we enjoyed getting dressed up every night and we think a lot of others did, too. So overall impression is that it was a very good cruise . . . but there was nothing really special about it compared to Azamara and Oceania. So if this is your size ship and class of sailing, look for itinerary and price, but don't expect to be "wowed" or blown away by Seabourn.

Just returned from 2 weeks on the Sojourn . . . previously sailed Azamara and Oceania several times. This was not an upgrade, unfortunately. Not sure what we were expecting since this was our first Seabourn cruise, but we were definitely looking for something that would make Seabourn different . . . set it apart from the others we've sailed on . . . perhaps something we'd want to come back to. The smoking was very apparent from halls to lounges to rooms to balconies. Such a shame with a new ship. The food was good but no better and, in fact, came with a rather limited menu. The entertainment was good but no better. And the service was very good but no better. So right now we'll return to Oceania and Azamara, primarily due to the smoking issue, which seem to have better control and restrictions on smoking. The itinerary, if anything, will really have to be pretty special to sail with Seabourn again. And parking spots in most ports on this cruise were trumped by Oceania, megaships and even ferries. A couple of positive notes . . . we were upgraded to . . . yes . . . a handicapped room! Plenty of room and those ugly bars were really no problem at all, kujo. And we enjoyed getting dressed up every night and we think a lot of others did, too. So overall impression is that it was a very good cruise . . . but there was nothing really special about it compared to Azamara and Oceania. So if this is your size ship and class of sailing, look for itinerary and price, but don't expect to be "wowed" or blown away by Seabourn.
Interesting...we have been on many Seabourn cruises...don't think Azamara or O compare at all. We are going on our first Sojourn in December. I had just read someone else's opinion that there was no smoke in skybar, etc. Maybe it has a lot to do with WHAT cruise you are on. As we have noted on the Boards, more Europeans and Asians usually means more smoking. We are triplet fans so I was looking to see how we liked the Sojourn before we booked the Quest Maiden transatlantic or the Spirit. I'm sort of leaning toward the Spirit as I do favor the sisters. I do get seasick and know all the tricks and I go anyway and suffer for a few days.. My husband thought it might be smoother on the Quest, but I think a rough sea is a rough sea. Anyway sorry for your bad experience but O and A would love to have your business, and I don't think Seabourn really cares...they get overall high marks from everyone. Happy sailing!

OH noooooo! I have just read all this and we booked our first Seabourn this past weekend for October. I am so disappointed to read about people smoking in the cabins and on the balcony. I hate the smell of smoke and cigars even more so. I cannot imagine sitting out on my balcony and having to inhale someone else's smoke or smell it in my beautiful cabin. Too late now..we are booked. I have to be honest, not sure I would have if I had read this before! I hope they change the policy soon. We did a Renaissance cruise years ago and it was smoke free and was wonderful. Apologies to all you smokers out there!

OH noooooo! I have just read all this and we booked our first Seabourn this past weekend for October. I am so disappointed to read about people smoking in the cabins and on the balcony. I hate the smell of smoke and cigars even more so. I cannot imagine sitting out on my balcony and having to inhale someone else's smoke or smell it in my beautiful cabin. Too late now..we are booked. I have to be honest, not sure I would have if I had read this before! I hope they change the policy soon. We did a Renaissance cruise years ago and it was smoke free and was wonderful. Apologies to all you smokers out there!
Angie, don't panic...there are always a few that have an experience. Overall I have never had a problem with smokers on the ships or on my balcony...maybe I have been lucky, did smell a little smoke in hallways on one cruise but it was minimal. I think you will be fine. Think positive and don't let the few that had a bad experience and posted ruin your trip!

As I said, it was a very good cruise, but no better than previous cruises with O and Azamara. And the smoking was definitely worse on the Sojourn than on the other lines. If the smoke does not bother you, then Seabourn may be for you. But everything else considered, it was just a cruise and nothing to write home about. I totally agree that everyone will come away with their own impression from a cruise. And perhaps one of the triplets is worth a try to see if there really is something special about Seabourn. But the Sojourn has a long way to go before it "smokes" O and Azamara. Did I mention that there were no fresh flowers in the rooms or on the dining room tables on the Sojourn . . . they were plastic - but I seem to recall seeing fresh flowers on every Oceania and Azamara cruise. And I watched as the deck hands kept neatly rolling up the used towels for the next person - mine had dried suntan lotion several days, or cruises, old. These are facts, not an opinion.

As I said, it was a very good cruise, but no better than previous cruises with O and Azamara. And the smoking was definitely worse on the Sojourn than on the other lines. If the smoke does not bother you, then Seabourn may be for you. But everything else considered, it was just a cruise and nothing to write home about. I totally agree that everyone will come away with their own impression from a cruise. And perhaps one of the triplets is worth a try to see if there really is something special about Seabourn. But the Sojourn has a long way to go before it "smokes" O and Azamara. Did I mention that there were no fresh flowers in the rooms or on the dining room tables on the Sojourn . . . they were plastic - but I seem to recall seeing fresh flowers on every Oceania and Azamara cruise. And I watched as the deck hands kept neatly rolling up the used towels for the next person - mine had dried suntan lotion several days, or cruises, old. These are facts, not an opinion.
I do hope you read the A and O boards with their complaints on those ships..And AS I SAID, you should spend your time where you enjoy and not bother with Seabourn. The O and the A will be glad to have you and the Seabourn will not miss you!

I also would not expect a change in policy soon because, as stated previously there is an ever growing British and European clientele they wish to attract, many of whom smoke more than Americans. Oceania's clientele is much more American so it's easier for them to restrict smoking to one or two areas.

Actually if you look at British/American statistics for smoking in the general population there isn't much difference.

And I don't think there are any statistics for cruisers of different nationalities, though I have noticed that Italians/Germans/Austrians/Spaniards seem to be quite enthusiastic about lighting up wherever they can.

In fact the UK is more restrictive legally than most states of the US about smoking and smoking is generally more popular in the lower social demographics, who are less likely IMHO to cruise on the better lines.

http://www.americanstroke.com/presenter.jhtml?identifier=4559

http://info.cancerresearchuk.org/cancerstats/types/lung/smoking/

Actually if you look at British/American statistics for smoking in the general population there isn't much difference.

And I don't think there are any statistics for cruisers of different nationalities, though I have noticed that Italians/Germans/Austrians/Spaniards seem to be quite enthusiastic about lighting up wherever they can.

In fact the UK is more restrictive legally than most states of the US about smoking and smoking is generally more popular in the lower social demographics, who are less likely IMHO to cruise on the better lines.

http://www.americanstroke.com/presenter.jhtml?identifier=4559

http://info.cancerresearchuk.org/cancerstats/types/lung/smoking/

I think that, also, British and American smokers have got the message that smoking is anti-social. I don't think that is the case with other nationalities or, at least, not to the same extent.

OK, redheadednancy, I'll stay away from Seabourn. In closing, were you aware that when guests smoke in their room, the Sojourn bridge has no choice but to just ignore the smoke detector alarm going off? Comforting to know that you won't know the guest in his or her bed in the room next to you is smoking until the flames break through the cabin wall. This, again, is fact, not an opinion. There is more to smoking on ships than it being a nuisance, nancy. Bye . . .

Darn

I was just looking at the Seabourn crossings for 2011 as a change after recent disappointments on Regent. Then I read this thread. I gave up on Ss after an evening meal in the delightful grill was ruined by a large table of heavy smokers. We would have changed tables but the restaurant was very full. Now it appears that Seabourn is not an option for us for the same reason.

Darn

I was just looking at the Seabourn crossings for 2011 as a change after recent disappointments on Regent. Then I read this thread. I gave up on Ss after an evening meal in the delightful grill was ruined by a large table of heavy smokers. We would have changed tables but the restaurant was very full. Now it appears that Seabourn is not an option for us for the same reason.

Joanne, don't give up on Seabourn. None of the lines are perfect...just like the world, you do run into smokers, some more considerate than others. There are as many people who have posted on this board about the enjoyment of the Sojourn and the fact that there was not a smoking problem. This one in December will be our fifth Seabourn and we have never had a problem, maybe just lucky, who knows! I often wonder if people post disparaging comments for a reason. When you read the Seabourn boards, they are almost unanimously positive, that should say something. When you go to Regent or whatever there are negatives there and positive. Unless I know the person, I take everything with a grain of salt and find out for myself!

As I recall there is no smoking in the DR so you can enjoy your meal without worry.

Smoking was outside at the bar,and upstairs in the lounge.The room is large enough you can move if needed to.

Try SB it is a great line.

Most people try to be considerate.

OK, redheadednancy, I'll stay away from Seabourn. In closing, were you aware that when guests smoke in their room, the Sojourn bridge has no choice but to just ignore the smoke detector alarm going off? Comforting to know that you won't know the guest in his or her bed in the room next to you is smoking until the flames break through the cabin wall. This, again, is fact, not an opinion. There is more to smoking on ships than it being a nuisance, nancy. Bye . . .

I don't know where you get your facts from but the statement about SB Bridge ignoring cabin smoke alarms is rubbish!!!!

The detectors installed in cabins are designed to detect smoke generated by burning material or plastic, which is far more dense than cigarette smoke. You would have to be standing directly under it and puffing away like mad to set them off with a cigarette. They are a different type to those you buy for home use and are Infra Red type. Also the AC in the cabin would disperse the smoke from a single cigarette to level where the detector would not go off.

TheFire System is monitored from a number of locations besides the bridge so a number of crew would have to ignore any alarm. Also any alarms and attempts to override or rest the system are logged on a secure computer system with very sophisticated hardware. I do not think that SB management would be too happy having spent hundreds of millions of $$ to find the crew were ignoring any safety related alarms.

All cruise ships are built to strict safety rules and follow SOLAS (Safety of Life at Sea) regulations.

Comforting to know that you won't know the guest in his or her bed in the room next to you is smoking until the flames break through the cabin wall.

Cabin walls are designed to withstand a full fire for at least 1 hour, and by that time the detectors in the AC ducts would have been set off.

I have been involved in the design of control and safety systems for over 30 years for all the major oil companies both onshore and the latest floating production vessels.

Just as a matter of interest, what did all the cruise passengers do 10 years ago when most ships allowed smoking in all the bars, cabins and even in the DR.

Its only 10 yrs since airlines banned smoking, and that had more to do with economics than health or environmental reasons.

Just as a matter of interest, what did all the cruise passengers do 10 years ago when most ships allowed smoking in all the bars, cabins and even in the DR.

Its only 10 yrs since airlines banned smoking, and that had more to do with economics than health or environmental reasons.

I imagine they coughed a lot. There seems to have been a change in the Sojourn smoking habitats. When we were on Odyssey--admittedly, that's two years ago--the smoking in the Observation Lounge was confined to the starboard side, but only outside. There was no smoking inside. I am reasonably certain of this because I am rather intolerant of smoke that comes my way, and it didn't. At least when we were inside. So, either I am misremembering--or the rules have changed. Anyone know for sure?

And, if some of us agree that smoking is a real irritant (no pun intended) would you be willing to spend a couple of hundred dollars (or more) extra on an SB cruise that was entirely smoke free?

>"And, if some of us agree that smoking is a real irritant (no pun intended) would you be willing to spend a couple of hundred dollars (or more) extra on an SB cruise that was entirely smoke free?"

No. I have never been bothered by smokers anywhere. (Except for one rude man who smoked a cigar in the Observation Lounge in the mornings. But I removed myself and reported him to the HM.)

will hope for best on May cruise,,since I can t switch vacation time,but will vote with my pocketbook,per se,,on next cruise,,,booked Regent,,,with NO smoking in cabin or balcony,,,others places I can avoid...

THat s what I advise,,,if enough don t book or change because of it,,,MAY change the smoking policy....are you paying attention SB management....may lose a lot of American customers, while catering to Europeans,,,that I also think are leaning to healthier policies....???;)

We have been seriously considering upgrading our cruise experience (36 & counting) for an attractive Adriatic Seabourn cruise next year. The comments here have just sealed our decision. We will not cruise on a line with lax smoking policies. Having had a recent 18 day Princess TA cruise ruined by chain smokers (Americans) in the next cabin, we have been especially careful with our bookings. I'm not talking occasional inconvenience... we were seldom able to open the balcony door. The hallways were smoky also. Up on deck, we were able to miss most smoking, but our expensive balcony could not be used. As far as noise, the hacking, coughing & spitting noices beginning at daybreak could be clearly heard. Our cruises since include 1 completed, & 2 booked so far, none on Princess. I say if smoking bothers you, go with Oceania, Celebrity, Azamara. As far as smokers wanting to be considerate, know that when you are smoking outside, you are bothering many others.

Regardless of anyone's personal opinion on smoking, any cruise line (or hotel or restaurant or theater) that condones, if not encourages, smoking is behind the times. Second hand smoke is proven to be dangerous to my health as well as the bartender's. Not a day went by when we were not confronted with the smell of smoke on board. Thank you for your info, headchef2010, but I was personally told by a bridge staff that when a smoke alarm goes off in a suite, they call to ask if the guest is smoking. If the guest is smoking, then they disregard the alarm from the smoke detector. Does not sound to me like it is being "selective" about cigarette or plastic or burning material. I'm sure there are numerous back up systems and alarms, but why would a cruise line risk it by allowing someone to smoke in their bed? At least restrict smoking to outdoors, but please at keep it out of lounges, rooms, and even balconies. You cannot pick your next door neighbor, so getting a whiff is a roll of the dice. On a couple of final notes, no, they are definitely plastic. And the name comes from our dog, who has not had a cigar in over 6 years, I'm proud to say.

Well put. No more smoking indoors and that includes the right hand side of the big sisters' Observation Bar. No more smoking on balconies or inside cabins. This is the logical answer for all crew and the vast majority of passengers who are non-smokers and deserve a healthy environment when they are spending all this money on a cruise.

As far as what happened 10 years ago when smoking was tolerated in public places people suffered and hotel rooms, bars and restaurants needed more cleaning to clean up the stink and make these places acceptable for the next day's clientele. There was science, yes, even then, about second hand smoke promoting cancer. Well, I suppose that common sense has finally caught up with reality!

Over to you Seabourn...

Sadly, the statistics suggest that some will have died prematurely. Or suffered increased morbidity.

Archived