What exactly is the smoking policy???

Of all the subjects discussed on CC boards, smoking seems to be the most likely to get up peoples noses and inflame passions.

Perhaps the best we can expect of Seabourn for the moment is that the "rules" on board ship are made fully in line with legislation in mainland USA.

What would be the implications if this was the case?

On mature reflection, I should observe that dress code probably runs a close second to smoking for raising hackles. But as usual I will vigorously resist the temptation to stray "off topic".

.......................................................................................

" A custom loathsome to the eye, hateful to the nose,harmful to the brain, dangerous to the lungs ....."

King James I of England ( from his counterblast to Tobacco 1604! )

Just as a general FYI, it is widely known that you cannot smoke (in New York) in bars, restaurants, movies, the subway, taxis, etc. There is a proposal before the City Council, supported by the Mayor, to ban smoking in public parks and at public beaches. Again, the basis of the proposed ban is the risks associated with second hand smoke. One really does wonder for how long Seabourn can maintain its uber tolerant smoking posture.

Do y'all (that's what comes of associating with Southerners) think that at least on the big sisters, individual decks could be cordoned off for smokers and non-smokers? Similar to the way that hotels offer smoking and non-smoking rooms.

The current problem is suggested by this:if you have an issue with a smoker in the next cabin, and your ship is full, what can SB do?

On our last SB cruise (on Sojourn) I noticed no ashtray or little book of matches in the suite. I must admit I did not ask if smoking is still permitted in suites or balconies - I guess it must be. The good news was on the pool/patio grill/ patio bar deck it was not allowed, and also on the port side of the sky bar, which being more spacious than the small ships meant no smoking smell on that side - the few smokers sat in the corner on the other side. The worst place as has been noted before is the Observation Bar, which as the main indoor smoking space is used by the few smokers, and the aircon cannot cope with it. This means that this otherwise nice space is underused.

I can't help but note that Seabourn's main smoker is someone who spends I believe 10 months of the year on the ships - presumably they don't want to upset her! She is perfectly charming, but her smoke is not.

As a first timer on Seabourn (Oct 16 Legend) I guess I am glad we do not have Veranda doors that open and admit smoke. We'll see how we enjoy our cruise on Seabourn as both my husband and I don't tolerate the smell of cigarettes. Hopefully, we didn't make a mistake. As I read the posts here, many others who hate the smoke say they weren't bothered on Seabourn so I hope this is the case. Jen

As a first timer on Seabourn (Oct 16 Legend) I guess I am glad we do not have Veranda doors that open and admit smoke. We'll see how we enjoy our cruise on Seabourn as both my husband and I don't tolerate the smell of cigarettes. Hopefully, we didn't make a mistake. As I read the posts here, many others who hate the smoke say they weren't bothered on Seabourn so I hope this is the case. Jen

I hope you will post as to your "smoking experience" when you get back. We have not been bothered before and find most people to be very considerate and the smokers in the minority. As a veteran SB cruiser told me...some people just love to complain and really don't have a very optimistic attitude on life...I just give them my sympathies and say a prayer in their behalf!

Of all the subjects discussed on CC boards, smoking seems to be the most likely to get up peoples noses and inflame passions.

Perhaps the best we can expect of Seabourn for the moment is that the "rules" on board ship are made fully in line with legislation in mainland USA.

What would be the implications if this was the case?

On mature reflection, I should observe that dress code probably runs a close second to smoking for raising hackles. But as usual I will vigorously resist the temptation to stray "off topic".

.......................................................................................

" A custom loathsome to the eye, hateful to the nose,harmful to the brain, dangerous to the lungs ....."

King James I of England ( from his counterblast to Tobacco 1604! )

marianh, you forgot "children"...that ranks right up there too!

I also would not expect a change in policy soon because, as stated previously there is an ever growing British and European clientele they wish to attract, many of whom smoke more than Americans. Oceania's clientele is much more American so it's easier for them to restrict smoking to one or two areas.

I challenge your assertion that many British smoke more than Americans. In fact smoking in Britain is a dying habit.

marianh, you forgot "children"...that ranks right up there too!

Of course you are correct. My ommission - sorry. Thanks be that children do not smoke otherwise these threads would go even more ballistic. Maybe the threat of damaging the next generations health through secondary smoke inhalation is the best reason yet for discouraging them from cruising on Seabourn.

I challenge your assertion that many British smoke more than Americans. In fact smoking in Britain is a dying habit.

It appears so, but the the British Government still take in over £10 billion in tobacco tax each year, and it hasn't reduced over the years.

It costs the Health Service about £2.7 billion to treat smoking related diseases leaving them a healthy profit.

If they made the cost of cigarettes so high that nobody would buy them, then all that would happen is that people would take a cheap flight to Eastern europe and pick up their allowance of 160 packets, losing the country billions.

Nobody has mentioned the cost of Drink related illnesses and accidents and deaths which cost the NHS the same as smoking, but the revenue is half that of tobacco.

Why don't SB cut back on Alcohol. This would boost their profits somewhat. They could give each passenger a Smart Card with maybe 2-3 units a day on for woman and 3-4 units a day for men to be swiped when you take a drink. i don't think their passengers would be happy only having a couple of small glasses of wine a day.

Neither would I.

i will now probably smoke E-Cigarettes on board.

It appears so, but the the British Government still take in over £10 billion in tobacco tax each year, and it hasn't reduced over the years.

It costs the Health Service about £2.7 billion to treat smoking related diseases leaving them a healthy profit.

i will now probably smoke E-Cigarettes on board.

As I suspect you know, your argument is far too simplistic. There has been much debate internationally on how to compute the real costs of smoking to society as opposed to pecuniary costs. Social costs are very difficult to evaluate having to pay regard to and evaluate tangible costs ( eg health care, production losses, welfare, fires and accidents, pollution and litter, research and education) and intangible costs ( eg loss of life and morbidity and pain and suffering). To compound the problem there is no universal agreement on the value of a human life, falling as it does within a very wide range depending on the particular circumstances.

But what is now universally agreed is that smoking is bad for your health and it kills. The individual as a smoker and the bystander through secondary smoke inhalation. Whilst exposure to this risk is a free choice for smokers, manytimes bystanders do not have such a choice. The challenge is to allow the smoker to exercise his freedom of choice whilst at the same time protecting non smokers. So its all about compromise and balance. My personal view is that Seabourn has not yet optimised this balance.

I have no particular opinion as to whether smoking or drinking too much are equally bad for you; however, generally it is the smoking which affects others on board. I know you get an occasional boring or boorish drunk, but nearly all of us loathe the smell of smoking, even if we are not unduly concerned about the health consequences.

Most people on Seabourn imbibe some alcohol, only a very few smoke, but they are disproportionately annoying. And I agree, very few are American or British, the few there are are mostly from 'continental' Europe - and they form a small percentage of Seabourn clients.

I have no particular opinion as to whether smoking or drinking too much are equally bad for you; however, generally it is the smoking which affects others on board. I know you get an occasional boring or boorish drunk, but nearly all of us loathe the smell of smoking, even if we are not unduly concerned about the health consequences.

Most people on Seabourn imbibe some alcohol, only a very few smoke, but they are disproportionately annoying. And I agree, very few are American or British, the few there are are mostly from 'continental' Europe - and they form a small percentage of Seabourn clients.

But the Continental Europeans are those that Seabourn are targeting for the future, especially on the Med cruises with a "No Fly" cruise.

I can't help but note that Seabourn's main smoker is someone who spends I believe 10 months of the year on the ships - presumably they don't want to upset her! She is perfectly charming, but her smoke is not.

If the lady you refer to lives in Monaco, she is a very charming person who we met on the Legend a couple of years ago, and so were her two gentlemen friends that she was travelling with. they spent many a happy hour with my wife at the Sky Bar chatting over a drink and a cigarette.

But the Continental Europeans are those that Seabourn are targeting for the future, especially on the Med cruises with a "No Fly" cruise.

If the lady you refer to lives in Monaco, she is a very charming person who we met on the Legend a couple of years ago, and so were her two gentlemen friends that she was travelling with. they spent many a happy hour with my wife at the Sky Bar chatting over a drink and a cigarette.

These ladies are not the same for sure... I hope the lady "in red" will be able to smoke a couple of years more on Seabourn ships! I will tell her this in person next week ;=). I also know the people "in black" by the way, that's why...

Marja

These ladies are not the same for sure... I hope the lady "in red" will be able to smoke a couple of years more on Seabourn ships! I will tell her this in person next week ;=). I also know the people "in black" by the way, that's why...

Marja

Will you also be sharing with her the views of cruisers who are not enamoured with tobacco smoke in the Observation lounge? She may be interested.

I am sorry if it sounds like I am getting at the 'lady in red' personally; not at all. By the way, she lives in the US when not at sea. However, the fact remains that hardly anyone spent time in the Observation Bar on Sojourn simply because of the smell of smoke, and were saying so. The same applies to the Observation Lounge on the little ships, though the room seems larger somehow, and therefore not so bad if you could find room on the extreme port side. It is a case of quite a lot of people having something spoiled by a very few.

Will you also be sharing with her the views of cruisers who are not enamoured with tobacco smoke in the Observation lounge? She may be interested.

I won't have to do so..... she knows!

And by the way, I find the smoke (and especially cigar smoke) outside in the open air (when it blows toward you) far more annoying than inside the ships! This was already the case when smoking was still allowed in the main dining room. The smoke went straight up and even sitting at the table with the smokers, it did not bother us. And mind you, we were not smoking our selves... Like I don't notice the smoke in the observation lounge, but I hate it at the Sky Bar.

Marja

I am sorry if it sounds like I am getting at the 'lady in red' personally; not at all. By the way, she lives in the US when not at sea. However, the fact remains that hardly anyone spent time in the Observation Bar on Sojourn simply because of the smell of smoke, and were saying so. The same applies to the Observation Lounge on the little ships, though the room seems larger somehow, and therefore not so bad if you could find room on the extreme port side. It is a case of quite a lot of people having something spoiled by a very few.

Absolutely! Regardless of the color of clothing worn, surely anyone who inflicts second hand smoke on a non-smoker can be criticized. And the number of nights she delivers to SB is no compensation for the damage she may be doing to those within some radius of inhalation.

"It is a case of quite a lot of people having something spoiled by a very few." Nice line. Sort of the reverse of something Sir Winston said?

Smoking, after all, is a horrible addictive disease. The drug user who urinated on my shoes, as I tried to help him, might also be thought of as inconsiderate. (I was the Nursing Director of Homeless Health Programs for Philadelphia at the time.)

Smoking, after all, is a horrible addictive disease. The drug user who urinated on my shoes, as I tried to help him, might also be thought of as inconsiderate. (I was the Nursing Director of Homeless Health Programs for Philadelphia at the time.)

Perhaps he was inconsiderate; but that is not an appropriate analogy. Smoking usually does not addle your brain, nor remove your sense of social responsibility ( ready to be corrected here). I would defend the rights of smokers to pursue their addictive habit . But they have no right to inflict the damaging effects of this dangerous pusuit on others.

And wet shoes do not give you cancer.

How would you suppose the Govt. make up the revenue generated from tobacco tax if people were to give up smoking?

In a perfect world we could get smokers to keep purchasing tobacco and filling the coffers, and just not smoke the cigarettes.:)

Please see my post at #86. It is not just an issue of revenue generation (benefit for the " coffers"(sp?)). You have to take account of all the societal costs. Some say that the overall "benefit" is negative. In any event responsible Governments in civilised societies have a duty to ensure the wellbeing of their citizens. And that is why increasingly countries are trying to restrict ( not ban) smoking so as to protect the health of the majority of the population who do not smoke. Whilst protecting the rights of the minority of individuals wish to smoke. A delicate balancing act. Let us hope that Seabourn moves in this direction. That is achieve a healthy balance.

• 2 weeks later...

I am having much success with stopping smoking by using my e cig. Hope everyone on board will appreciate this and not object to my smoking anywhere on the ship as there is little or no odor [may smell a little vanilla or mint] and it is not detrimental to anyone's health including mine. Wish me luck on my crusade to quit!

Archived