Patmos Monastery Closed Monday Afternoons?

jgrahamiii

Hi folks. Our ship arrives in Patmos on Monday afternoon for 6 hours. We really want to visit the Monastery of St. John and the Grotto (Cave) of the Apocalypse. There is very lmited information out there, but what we could find indicated that these places may be closed on Monday after 1:30 in the afternoon. Here is a page from the Monastery's website: http://www.patmosmonastery.gr/episkepsi.html. Problem is, it's in Greek and even after translating with Google Toolbar, I'm not sure exactly to what these hours apply. The direct translation is HOURS OF THE HOLY MONASTERY EPISKEPSEOS SACRED AND THE CAVE. However, I can't find any easy reference to what Episkepseos means, or to what it may be referring. Also, this website may have old information. Hard to tell.

I'm wondering if anyone can be of help in figuring out exactly what will be open at the Monastery and Grotto on a Monday afternoon in late October. Note, we've contacted the Monastery by email, but got no reply. We also signed up for the ship's tour of these places for that day, but given the website, I'm not sure if the cruise line has researched this properly or not. We also had wanted to do these sites on our own, but now I'm not comfortable with that, since perhaps they open only for tours after hours.

Thanks for any help. -John

Hi folks. Our ship arrives in Patmos on Monday afternoon for 6 hours. We really want to visit the Monastery of St. John and the Grotto (Cave) of the Apocalypse. There is very lmited information out there, but what we could find indicated that these places may be closed on Monday after 1:30 in the afternoon. I'm wondering if anyone can be of help in figuring out exactly what will be open at the Monastery and Grotto on a Monday afternoon in late October. Note, we've contacted the Monastery by email, but got no reply. We also signed up for the ship's tour of these places for that day, but given the website, I'm not sure if the cruise line has researched this properly or not. We also had wanted to do these sites on our own, but now I'm not comfortable with that, since perhaps they open only for tours after hours. Thanks for any help. -John

Hi, John! Understand your concerns over the hours. From

http://www.explorepatmos.com

They say: May-Aug: Sun: 8am-1pm and 2pm-6pm; Mon : 8am-1.30pm

Tue-Wed : 8am-1.30pm and 2pm-6pm; Thur-Sat : 8am-1.30pm

Most the cruise ships are in port in the mornings and primarily in the summer months. My guess is that your cruise ship, assuming it's one of the major, experienced firms, will have made special arrangements to be open for this tour group when you are there. Clearly late October is getting into their "off-season", but this island knows what serving the tourist is all about. Which ship will you be on? Double-check, but I would assume they done this before and have it covered. Below are some of my pictures from this beautiful island and these historic sites.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For more details, great visuals, etc., from our July 1-16 Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle Silver Cloud experiences:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Above where you enter to see the famed cave of St. John, this art piece summarizes this history on the island of Patmos. The author of the Book of Revelation is sometimes referred to as John of Patmos.:

PatmosRelScene.jpg

Inside the church part of the Holy Monastery of St. John in the Eastern Orthodox tradition. It is part of a complex with a nice museum and art collection:

PatmosChurch.jpg

On Patmos, here are more from inside the church with its ceiling and around the Holy Monastery of St. John. You will see some ceiling highlights, its courtyards, bells, art treasures, etc.:

PatMonst3.jpg

PatMonstCeiling.jpg

PatmMonst2.jpg

Overlooking the harbor in Patmos with a large ship there, the surrounding hills, etc.:

PatmosHarbShip.jpg

Thanks Terry. We're on your current favorite ship, the Silver Cloud. One would think Silversea knows what it's doing here. We did email them, as we had planned on doing this on our own. They assured us it was open and offered to get us a private tour guide, but their private tours are far more than their group tours, which are still far more than a cab ride. In the face of the Monastery's own website and sites like you quoted, I'm afraid I don't want to entirely leave this up to Silversea to get right. At this point we're signed up for their group excursion, and may just have to leave it at that. -John

(Great pictures, as always, by the way!)

Thanks Terry. We're on your current favorite ship, the Silver Cloud. One would think Silversea knows what it's doing here. We did email them, as we had planned on doing this on our own. They assured us it was open and offered to get us a private tour guide, but their private tours are far more than their group tours, which are still far more than a cab ride. In the face of the Monastery's own website and sites like you quoted, I'm afraid I don't want to entirely leave this up to Silversea to get right. At this point we're signed up for their group excursion, and may just have to leave it at that. -John (Great pictures, as always, by the way!)

THANKS, John! Glad to hear you're on the Silver Cloud. Silversea is good at knowing the ins and outs about these operating hour details, especially in the Greek Isles. Doing a group trip through the ship might be smart. That cave and church is up, up, UP a tall hill. That takes a little time and effort getting up there. The cave is not large and doing it your own might not work at this time of the year.

Below are few more pictures from this small and very charming island. Not many cruise ships go to this location. It's not a "mass" port like Mykonos that can be flooded with tourists. Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For more details, great visuals, etc., from our July 1-16 Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle Silver Cloud experiences:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

A longer shot from a higher location of the harbor in Patmos:

PatmosHarbor2.jpg

On Patmos, here are more from and around the Holy Monastery of St. John.:

PatMonst4.jpg

PatMonst5.jpg

A sampling of the florial beauty on Patmos:

PatFlowers.jpg

Plus Mylos.

• 5 weeks later...
Here is a page from the Monastery's website: http://www.patmosmonastery.gr/episkepsi.html.

That info seems consistent with other sources I've consulted - basically access during afternoons are limited to Tuesdays, Thursdays and Sundays and from 4 to 6 only.

I gather that these are the year-round core hours that may be extended somewhat in summer.

Archived