Cost of Laundry service

shoppergirl10

There is a price list on Celebrity's web site at " http://www.celebritycruises.com/beforeyourcruise/faq/home.do;jsessionid=0000j4lGDWZAAItDGjWoGp3PMeV:12hdbcveb?faqSubjectName=Ship+and+Stateroom+Details&faqId=569&pagename=faq_answers

The best tip I have for laundry is to remember that you're on vacation and just send it in. With the exception of rinsing out bathing suits we don't do laundry in our stateroom. If you are Elite or Select Captains Club you'll get some discount coupons for laundry. Otherwise you can do a whole lot of laundry for $50 or so. While the prices are not cheap they are favorable compared to sending laundry out back home - for example if we have last minute dry cleaning before a cruise we'll wait until we're on the ship as it is no more or less than our local cleaners.

We travelled with three young children so sending all our clothes to laundry was prohibitive. We did a fair bit by hand each day - didn't take long. And once we took a suitcase ashore and dropped it at a laundromat where it was done for us in two hours at about 1/6 the price.

The laundry by the bag comes out great. I've never put in anything delicate. My husbands shorts came back on hangars as did several other things. The rest of the laundry was so well folded it looked better than when I iron. I'm talking about t shirts, not oxford shirts that have to go to the dry cleaners to be cleaned and pressed. I was surprised. If you are going for one of the by the bag specials if you roll your garments very tightly and carefully, more fits in the bag. It's all you can fit in the bag up to so many items for $29. or $39. unless they have changed it since May. It's free for Elite and discounted for Select. We've been very pleased!

The dry cleaning prices are better on the ship than we have at home!

I get small sink size Woolite or Tide packets from minimus.biz to launder items and hang them to dry in the shower. It doesn't take long and my delicates are not subjected to hot water or dryers, so I don't have to worry about shrinkage, etc.

On the other hand, I find the dry cleaning charges more reasonable than at home so I sometimes send out dry cleaning right away - no packing wrinkles!

I don't see anything on the price list that says "laundry in a bag". Is that available to anyone on any of the ships?

I've only seen this offered to all on a couple of longer cruises. On most it is offered as an end of cruise special at $29 or $39. It is often offered to select or elite captains club members at a discount anytime during the cruise but not to all passengers.

While the discount is very nice it is not necessarily a deal breaker for me. I've done a lot of work on some cruises tightly rolling and packing the max into the bag and totalled up the value at a per piece rate and it is usually in the upper $40 to mid $50 range. While this is a great price compared to the bag of laundry price of $29 or $39 (depending on when and to whom it is offered) the extra $15 to $25 isn't going to change whether or not I do laundry on a cruise. Also, if you pay the per piece rate shirts (other than t-shirts) and slacks are returned pressed and on hangers rather than folded in a paper sack (the bag of laundry specials, if offered, does not include any pressing nor hangers).

I've only seen this offered to all on a couple of longer cruises. On most it is offered as an end of cruise special at $29 or $39. It is often offered to select or elite captains club members at a discount anytime during the cruise but not to all passengers.

While the discount is very nice it is not necessarily a deal breaker for me. I've done a lot of work on some cruises tightly rolling and packing the max into the bag and totalled up the value at a per piece rate and it is usually in the upper $40 to mid $50 range. While this is a great price compared to the bag of laundry price of $29 or $39 (depending on when and to whom it is offered) the extra $15 to $25 isn't going to change whether or not I do laundry on a cruise. Also, if you pay the per piece rate shirts (other than t-shirts) and slacks are returned pressed and on hangers rather than folded in a paper sack (the bag of laundry specials, if offered, does not include any pressing nor hangers).

We've gotten a few things back from the bag of laundry on hangers. It was not pressed but put on the hanger right out of the dryer so was wearable. Somehow we've experienced magical folding when our bags of laundry have been returned. Many look pressed but I know they are not! Ask your room steward if you don't see anything about the laundry bags in your cabin. Sometimes the notices get tucked away! You'd be amazed at what rolling will facilitate you getting in that bag. We use our duct tape to close the top securely when we send it out!

These are great tips everyone! I appreciate the input. This will be our first cruise and it is 11 nights. I tend to overpack for trips but we'll be flying and won't have much extra room for souvenirs if I pack too much so I was looking for a way to wash our laundry without spending a fortune.

iF you are doing a Carib cruise, you really won't need as many clothes as you think. When I started cruising I'd pack a new casual outfit for each day.:eek: soon discovered I was in my swimsuits more days than not and with a couple nylon shorts over the suit and a tank top, I was set for the beach and shopping afterwards.

There's no rule about not repeating outfits in the evening. :rolleyes: Switch things up a bit and you can wear everything twice easily. Alaska is a bit trickier because the weather issues are varied.

Rarely do we need to have more than a couple things laundered. My Dh however always has his suit drycleaned on the first day. It is much less $$ than having it done here and it's set for the formal nights.

How long does it take to get the bag deal back?

Thought we may use it this time as we will be Elite and doing 10 days. can't beat that deal

Regular service is pick it up in the morning and deliver it late afternoon the next day. We leave the bag on the bed when we go to breakfast and the cabin steward takes it when he makes up the room.

One other thought on laundry. If you do some in your room, sometimes it is clean but wrinkled from being wrung out.

We take Downy Wrinkle Release and it works wonders. It's in the laundry products aisle in the grocery store. Just spray it on, smooth the wrinkles with your hands and you're good to go. Sometimes no matter how carefully you pack things get too creased to wear and it does a great job. Even works with linen, though that requires more time and diligence.

I just returned from the Solstice yesterday and we were lucky enough to have the Captains Club elite coupons. I used them to do my suit and shirts when I got on board, I never have them done at home before I go, neat and clean for the first formal night. We used the 30 free items to clean our dirty clothes so had a couple of packages of clean clothes which were put in our suitcase. A very important point with the CC elite coupon for the 30 items is it must be used no more than three days before the end of the cruise...

"Have you tried Downey Wrinkle Release? It’s pricey ($4.95 for 16 oz.), but works quite well for you non-ironers. But come on! $5 for two cups of water? I’ve done a little experimentation to come up with a formula I believe works exactly the same ... for pennies a bottle! Fill a spray bottle with distilled water; add 1 teaspoon liquid fabric softener (go ahead and use Downey and you’ll even duplicate the fragrance). Directions: Spray the wrinkled garment using a sweeping motion from about 8 inches away until slightly damp. Tug and smooth away wrinkles. Hang until dry. Use more spray for heavy fabrics or severe wrinkles. For a pressed look, spray fabrics while ironing. "

Just saw this on the internet

Pete

Although I washed several of my Cool Max t-shirts by hand because they dried in two hours, we used the laundry on Equinox three times. The first batch (one bag) was $40 and the second was $30. Both came back in great condition the next day.

They offered a $39 bag special two days before the end of the cruise and I decided to take advantage of it. Was I sorry I did! Although they had warned nothing would be on hangers or pressed, I couldn't believe the terrible condition of the returned clothes. They looked like they were washed, then thrown back into the bag wet, where they dried!

When I showed them to my steward, he apologized, took the bag, and brought everything back dried at least, but still not wearable as is. He said the "bargain bag" was never handled that well.

We've been on two 12-day cruises with Celebrity - 2008 & 2010. On each there was a "laundry big-bag special" offered about day 10. It was announced in the daily - so be alert if you're interested. In 2008 I think it was $25; 2010 it was $29 but we were allowed to use of $5 off coupon from the Captain's Club - we had to go to the CC desk to get coupons - hostess said they were in our room but we had never received them.

Both times I rolled and squeezed out the air from our dirty clothes and over-stuffed the bag! Both times the laundry came back in excellent condition - very wearable - some items on hangers or folded very well.

If you cruise is less than 12 days - check with your cabin steward if there'll be offering a laundry bag special!

As far as washing in the cabin - I usually wash our undies and sometimes a top or something. I've found int he Med or Baltic the best place for drying is on the back rung of the balcony chairs - the sun dries them in no time! And of course that's where we hang our bathing suits to dry!

Have a great cruise!!

How MUCH is it to send out your laundry on board?

We will be on Equinox in December.

Do any of you have good tips for doing your own laundry in your cabin?

Thanks -

Karen

From another thread about laundrys costs: There is a price list on Celebrity's web site at http://www.celebritycruises.com/befo...me=faq_answers

Archived