azamara food service not quite so amazing

tmfsmith

I jut got off my third Azamara cruise in the last year. I was stunned at how the quality and selection of food aboard the Qwest had declined so significantly just since Christmas when I last sailed the Qwest in SE Asia. Although all the service personnel on board were great, the dining room is having serious problems that -- if not corrected -- will make this Azamara cruise my last one on the line. Even the food quality and service in the specialty restaurants was very poor. Food often came out cold -- if it ever came out -- even in Aqualina, patrons at our table missed a course of two.

It was not unusual to wait nearly an hour before one course was served -- thank goodness for the bread basket. There is something to be said for leisurely dining. But, this passed that point. Waiters seemed to be doing their best, but the problem often seemed to be in the kitchen.

Evven the menu, however, had been reduced from pervious cruises.

tom

We cruised on the Quest in June. Although the service in the MDR was excellent, the food was so disappointing that we ended up spending considerably more money on the cruise than we had intended to eat in Prime C. We tried Aqualina, which was disappointing also. The one time we ate there, I ordered sea bass and was served two small, dried out tail ends. Also, as other posters have observed, we found the menu in the MDR to be both limited and unappetizing. In short, our disappointing experience with food on the Quest was the same as others who have posted here. It is highly doubtful that we would cruise on Azamara again. We'll stick with Oceania, as we have in the past.

On July 28, on a different thread that discussed food on Azamara, Jade13 posted: "One chef on Quest actually told us they were told to save money by making up lots of pastas and curries, etc. It showed in the buffet." (Jade13 was on the same cruise we were on.)

We found positive things on the Quest--the ship sparkled and the service was excellent. But good food is part of the cruising experience for us, and in that department, Azamara Quest didn't measure up.

Also just back from the same cruise as Mare S and found that there was ALWAYS some really tasty food to be had in whichever dining venue you opted for. Check the Discoveries Restaurant menu each day and then decide whether what's on offer is to your liking or not. The buffet in Windows is a tasty option. Note however that finding a booking in Prime C or Aqualina between 7 and 9 is tricky, unless you get your bookings made as soon as you board the ship! Be sure you won't starve and you will enjoy the food offerings.

Being a "foodie", and due to sail on Azamara Journey shortly, I have been reading this thread with both interest and a certain amount of confusion. There are entries from both those who have cruised before the new menus have been in place and, I assume, those cruising after. I know the new menus were put in place on the Journey at the very end of July, with the Quest to follow shortly thereafter. I assume the OP was posting in relation to the "new" menu being offered.

schmidlapp, I would really appreciate any info you bring back from you mid September cruise. I would also appreciate anyone who has any specifics from the menu regarding offerings, or lack thereof.

We are scheduled for our first Azamara cruise on Quest in January. What I am reading about the food quality is quite troubling.We are past Oceania customers and really liked their food. I have a hard time understanding how a mass market cruise line has any business in the kitchen of a "specialty cruise line".

From what I read these are not single occurrences where the chef has a bad day, but a consistent trend to low or lower quality than should be expected. Please keep the reviews coming, I have until November to cancel (which I will do) if the food and service doesn't improve.

Thank you, Mare S. My blood pressure is coming down, rapidly I might add. I began with this posting this AM, and afterwords, all I could think of was all of the excitement, the fun of the planning, and boy are we in for a major, very costly disappointment. I feel much better. RE pastas. I don't really remember seeing all that many on previously posted menus. This could be that my photographic memory might have been out of film, but are the pasta dishes one of the new changes? As for banana tartin, sound fine to me, but I can see my wife heaving ho. Can one put in a request for pastries for desert, say a classic apple tart tatin? Again, we are new to cruising, and I don't know if such a request is unrealistic and overboard, you should excuse the expression, or would be welcomed. (And I might point out that I never go into a restaurant expecting each and every selection to be tailor made to my personal tastes. I just want to know that whatever I do actually choose, somewhere on board ship, is going to exceed my expectations.) Again, very good posting, very reassuring, and I would appreciate hearing more of the praises, and why you are praising the services. This is all extremely helpful.

There was a pasta entree and a salad entree every night in the MDR - these were listed separately from the other mains. Sometimes we asked for appetizer-sized portions of the pasta if it appealed but we didn't want it for our main course. Never a problem, and, as I think I said before, I regularly asked for the vegetables from a different dish.

I have to second Nuneham's post...we generally asked for a portion of the pasta selection to be a shared plate for our table of four and never had an issue asking for and getting a different side dish. I can't express an opinion about a decline in food quality since this was our first Azamara cruise, but I thought the quality was very good and the presentations extremely nice. However, bottom line for me is that while food quality is an important criteria in evaluating a cruise, it's just one part of the experience. I love to eat fine food presented well accompanied by a good wine, and I found much to enjoy in this regard. But the overall atmosphere on the ship, the very positive and friendly staff, and the interesting itinerary boosted my enjoyment of our cruise ten-fold.

I have to second Nuneham's post...we generally asked for a portion of the pasta selection to be a shared plate for our table of four and never had an issue asking for and getting a different side dish. I can't express an opinion about a decline in food quality since this was our first Azamara cruise, but I thought the quality was very good and the presentations extremely nice. However, bottom line for me is that while food quality is an important criteria in evaluating a cruise, it's just one part of the experience. I love to eat fine food presented well accompanied by a good wine, and I found much to enjoy in this regard. But the overall atmosphere on the ship, the very positive and friendly staff, and the interesting itinerary boosted my enjoyment of our cruise ten-fold.

Just to reiterate, the food on Quest this trip was great. There is plenty of choice and and if you don't like something, you can ask for a change, whether it is accompanying veg or even something that isn't on the menu. Believe me, the staff are all very accommodating and the chefs bend over backwards to provide pretty much whatever is requested of them. I quite happily mixed and matched from the menus provided, even in Prime C, with NO resistance from the chef and in fact, was provided with an overhelming dish of very delicious roast baby chickens in place of the mixed grill option in Prime C. Don't let the idea that you may not like the food put you off what is an overall amazing experience with Azamara...this comes from someone who is considered a fussy eater! :D

As I mentioned in my original post, I just got off my 3rd Azamara ship since last summer. I sailed last summer on the Journey in the British Isles and then did a 17-day sailing in Asia last Christmas on Quest. As somebody who has sailed previously, I was extremely disappointed in the menu, the food quality, and even the service in the Discoveries restaurant on this most recent cruise. I heard lots of complaints from other passengers and even from the maitre d' on board -- he was probably more frustrated than I was and acknowledged serious problems in the kitchen. Nevertheless, he worked hard and did all he could to turn lemons into lemonade for our party of 6.

Because I was booked in a suite, I could have eaten any night in the specialty restaurants but my two experiences there were not that great. In fact, I talked to many other passengers who had poor experiences in the specialty restaurants and were comped for their meals. There are stories I could tell that are funny (but true), but this would extend this posting beyond reason.

Hopefully, Azamara will get it together very soon. Many of the staff were counting down the days when the restaurant manager would head back to RCCL to take on management of the dining room on the new Allure of the Seas (sister ship to Oasis). Even the ship's Food and Beverage Director acknowledged there was a problem on board.

Hopefully, this discussion will give Azamara the incentive to fix things quickly because passengers deserve a better and more consistent experience for the money they pay on board. As so many other posters have said, food is a very subjective thing. For me, the food quality on board Azamara did not compare favorably with other cruise lines I have been on recently, including Celebrity and even Holland America. To me, the food in the dining room seemed equivalent to what I have been served on RCCL -- both in menu choices and quality. Maybe, I just cruise too much. (I already have three more booked before the end of the year -- but none on Azamara.)

Sometimes, I thought the strategy in the dining room on this last cruise was to keep filling up the wine glasses so passengers would not realize they had been sitting for an hour before even getting their appetizers.

But, this should not distract from other things that Azamara does really well. They have interesting itineraries; their shore excursion staff are seasoned and helpful; the ships are very well maintained; the ship staff are extremely courteous and exceed expectations in all ways. And the cabins are nicely appointed.

There is an added touch for suite guests -- who now get two complementary bottles of liquor of their choosing in addition to a bottle of champagne.

I thoroughly enjoyed my cruise on Azamara (despite the food) and as always met a lot of very interesting people from various parts of the world.

Nevertheless, I think it may be a while before I venture on a 4th Azamara cruise. I have not yet sailed on Oceania and I am looking at a couple of spring itineraries that seem very interesting. Azamara has similar itineraries, but this last experience has given me the incentive to look elsewhere.

tom

We are sailing On the Quest in January so I have some concerns about these reported problems. We sailed on the Journey June 2009 (Baltics/St. Petersburg) and were in what was then the Penthouse Suite. Our meals were wonderful. And although it was never necessary, the Hotel Director (Philip Herbert) was always around, making sure that everything was not just good, but great.

This is meant as a prelude to my basic question. It's my understanding that, other than the Captain/Master, the Hotel Director is "top dog." Where was the Hotel Director on this cruise? Did anyone lodge a complaint with him? Is the Hotel Director also now a transferee from RCCL?

Thanks for the heads up. I certainly hope this gets fixed ASAP.

Philip was the Hotel Director on Quest, although he left in Venice for his vacation. I understand that Tom was less than happy with his experience, but there were plenty of us who were very satisfied. I never waited an hour for an appetizer nor for any course, for that matter. My experience in Prime C was very good. My only complaint was the coffee and tea and after making our initial complaint, we got a lot of attention and concern from everyone in the Food and Beverage department. There's really nothing else that I can add...

Philip was the Hotel Director on Quest, although he left in Venice for his vacation. I understand that Tom was less than happy with his experience, but there were plenty of us who were very satisfied. I never waited an hour for an appetizer nor for any course, for that matter. My experience in Prime C was very good. My only complaint was the coffee and tea and after making our initial complaint, we got a lot of attention and concern from everyone in the Food and Beverage department. There's really nothing else that I can add...

Who took Philip's place as HM?

I was hoping he would be there for our cruise 9/20.

hi everyone, we also have just come home from the same cruise as mare and anne,12 nights to ionian and the adriatic. we ate each of the 12 nights in the discoveries dining room and we found the food every night to be excellent,new menus much improved to last year.we never had to wait for an hour to be served any course and the food was always hot and presentation excellent.our waiter paul and his assistant setyo were fantastic ,we asked to be seated in their section every night,on the last night they even took on an extra table in order to let us dine together as a party of eight.the head waiter who happened to be a woman was very helpful and obliging also(i hope she will forgive me as i have forgotten her name but she was head of pauls area)it takes time for new menus etc to become routine for all the staff and this was the first cruise on which they were implemented.i believe that the menus in the speciality dining areas are also going to be updated soon.if anyone is lucky enough to be sailing on the quest anytime soon all i can say is not to worry you will have a fantastic time, we can"t wait to sail on her agai

And just what does the Hotel Director actually do for us? Tom and Phillip received their praises because? This may read like it's sarcastic question, but it is not, I'm quite serious. Just what do these people do on board?

[quote name='Dr H']And just what does the Hotel Director actually do for us? Tom and Phillip received their praises because? This may read like it's sarcastic question, but it is not, I'm quite serious. Just what do these people do on board?[/QUOTE]

I have sailed on many cruises...going on my 79th in January and was in the travel industry for 15 years (until I got a real job :) ) and my experience with the Hotel Director was very limited until I met Philip Hebert! He greeted all passengers in person at embarkation, advising us that he would be available for assistance at any time should we need anything at all. I thought "Sure, sure" ..... however he proved me wrong. He was ALWAYS visible and if you called him via the front desk he ALWAYS responded quickly. I wanted a private bridge tour ---- done! I requested a meeting with Executive Chef ---- DONE! I had a special request for my stateroom .... DONE! My wonderful agent flagged me as a VIP and I was treated like a rock star. If there was anything amiss or if you wanted a special request fulfilled he was there to do it for you. He was at all the functions and wanted to know if there was a problem ..... I mean HE WANTED FEEDBACK!! Wow!

I was blown away by the level of his involvement in all things great and small. It was the most amazing feat of customer facing service and management prowess I have ever seen.

That is why I book AZ - the customer service experience is way beyond expectations.

I don't know if the OP provided feedback to the HD about the dining room or the food but I can tell you from firsthand knowledge that if they had things would hve been set right or recompense would have been offered.

I am a foodie, I like a good wine, I am not a rock star or a diva (hmmm....well maybe a diva ;) ) and I treat folks the way I would like to be treated. Azamara was simply the nicest most comfortable cruise I have ever taken because of the experience of Philip and his staff. I can put up with the admin issues and the grammar in the copy of the website and the occasional meal that fails to impress - because I know that what really counts is how the folks on board treat you - and THAT is a direct reflection on how they are treated themselves.

Just my 5 cents.....

[quote name='cindilouwho']I have sailed on many cruises...going on my 79th in January and was in the travel industry for 15 years (until I got a real job :) ) and my experience with the Hotel Director was very limited until I met Philip Hebert! He greeted all passengers in person at embarkation, advising us that he would be available for assistance at any time should we need anything at all. I thought "Sure, sure" ..... however he proved me wrong. He was ALWAYS visible and if you called him via the front desk he ALWAYS responded quickly. I wanted a private bridge tour ---- done! I requested a meeting with Executive Chef ---- DONE! I had a special request for my stateroom .... DONE! My wonderful agent flagged me as a VIP and I was treated like a rock star. If there was anything amiss or if you wanted a special request fulfilled he was there to do it for you. He was at all the functions and wanted to know if there was a problem ..... I mean HE WANTED FEEDBACK!! Wow!

I was blown away by the level of his involvement in all things great and small. It was the most amazing feat of customer facing service and management prowess I have ever seen.

That is why I book AZ - the customer service experience is way beyond expectations.

I don't know if the OP provided feedback to the HD about the dining room or the food but I can tell you from firsthand knowledge that if they had things would hve been set right or recompense would have been offered.

I am a foodie, I like a good wine, I am not a rock star or a diva (hmmm....well maybe a diva ;) ) and I treat folks the way I would like to be treated. Azamara was simply the nicest most comfortable cruise I have ever taken because of the experience of Philip and his staff. I can put up with the admin issues and the grammar in the copy of the website and the occasional meal that fails to impress - because I know that what really counts is how the folks on board treat you - and THAT is a direct reflection on how they are treated themselves.

Just my 5 cents.....[/quote]

You used to say just your 2 cents so just like AZ you raised your prices!!!
;)

Leonjo, thank you for a positive and current review of the changes to the dining experience. Going on our first ACC late this fall and you have just moved the anticipation level up another notch. Much appreciated, Mary Lou

p.s. we need more cruisers signing up for the Mix and Mingle Oct 30/10 and Nov 6/10.

[quote name='cindilouwho']I have sailed on many cruises...going on my 79th in January and was in the travel industry for 15 years (until I got a real job :) ) and my experience with the Hotel Director was very limited until I met Philip Hebert! He greeted all passengers in person at embarkation, advising us that he would be available for assistance at any time should we need anything at all. I thought "Sure, sure" ..... however he proved me wrong. He was ALWAYS visible and if you called him via the front desk he ALWAYS responded quickly. I wanted a private bridge tour ---- done! I requested a meeting with Executive Chef ---- DONE! I had a special request for my stateroom .... DONE! My wonderful agent flagged me as a VIP and I was treated like a rock star. If there was anything amiss or if you wanted a special request fulfilled he was there to do it for you. He was at all the functions and wanted to know if there was a problem ..... I mean HE WANTED FEEDBACK!! Wow!

Just my 5 cents.....[/quote]

I have to second Cindilouwho's comments as I too have been the recipient of his hospitality/services. And no I was not a "divo"!;) When I was waiting in line at the guest services desk upon embarkation, he personally came up to me to assist in dealing with my lost luggage. As well he's very personable and approachable which is more than I can say for any other HDs on the numerous other cruises I've been on.

As for the food issue that the OP has brought up, I was on the Quest a couple of months ago and I didn't really have any complaints about the food - granted not all dishes were to my liking but overall it was good and some were exceptional. I regard myself as a foodie and have high expectations however I can't recall eating any meals that would make me reconsider cruising with AZ again, although this was my first time on AZ and can't really compare with their previous food offerings/experience.

Although food is a big part of the cruising experience, I believe that other important components also should be factored in: service, staff, vessel, atmosphere, fellow passengers and itinerary. Despite my having to endure my lost luggage for several days, I can assure you that the Black Sea cruise was by far one of the my most memorable/fun one.

Now I just have to figure out what to have this soul do for us:rolleyes:. Being somewhat jaded, and expecting customer-no-service everywhere and anywhere, this sound really nice. Aside from the fact that I am desperate for a vacation, the good news coming off these postings just keeps making the trip sound better and better. I'm looking forward to reading the next complaint and smiling to myself.

As I understand it, the Hotel Director is in charge of everything related to the ship/cruise other than the actual sailing of the ship. So, Food/Beverage, entertainment, cabins, casino, spa, etc.

Essentially the hotel Director is the second most important position on the ship - and as far as passengers are concerned, perhaps the most important. The Captain keeps the ship afloat and gets you yo all the ports, and the Hotel Director takes care of everything else.

I feel that I must join Cindi and offer my 5 cents worth. I must jump in and sing the praises of Heiki Berdos as a hotel director. In March we sailed with Heike on the Journey. This was our third time sailing with her (once on Quest, twice on Journey). Everything that has been said about Phillip can be said about Heike as well (always in attendance, eager to help, quick to respond, always a smile on her face, makes a mean crepes suzette but that's another story).

I have not had the pleasure of meeting Phillip but, from the postings, I know that, if I board the Journey next April and find him in place as hotel director, I will be disappointed in missing Heike but know that I am in fabulous hands. And the reverse is the same, if you see Heike on board, know that you have a wonderful Hotel Director and new friend on board.

Diva Sue

We've been lucky enough to have both Philip and Heike.

Just an example: one day I saw Philip walking through one of the common areas. Suddenly, he stopped, went about 4 steps to the side, and picked up a small piece of paper--maybe the size of a half dollar. Then he continued.

Sometime later, I was talking to him and commented that I had seen that. He just grinned, and said he had to set the example!..

Archived