azamara food service not quite so amazing

tmfsmith

As an FYI, we shared our concerns with Philip -- who is a great guy and incredibly attentive. Although I got the apology and the bottle of wine, it still did not change anything about the dining room. Philip acknowledged this was beyond his control. Azamara also has a Food and Beverage Director -- Rudy on board the Quest right now. Rudy also offered to buy drinks for our party. But, also, when you are on a cruise, like this, that only has one sea day, you don't really have a lot of time to be sitting down with folks to explain all the problems that they already know and are struggling to work through. I did not talk to a staff person on board who was not familiar with the problem and said it would take some time to sort it all out.

I am glad so many people on this thread did not experience problems or disappointments in the dining room, especially given that this apparently was the first cruise in which new menus were put in place. They either got much better service or maybe I am just too demanding. But, my problem started with the new menus.

Despite the shortcomings in the dining room, the cruise was very good. Had a great time. But, will be reluctant to book Azamara again unless the cruise has a great itinerary. Right now, I have a cruise booked for Thanksgiving, another for Christmas, and another for New Years. I am shopping for a 10-14 day itinerary for the spring.

Incidentally, I saw a new promotion for Azamara that offers an "open bar." It said all liquor except for premium brands was complimentary. When I talked on board with the cruise sales person (name is forgotten at the moment), she also was very heavy on promoting all the money that passengers save by not having to buy wine. Maybe, Azamara has found a new competitive advantage in the marketplace.

tom

My sister and her husband, who are former Seabourn sailors, just got off Journey in Copenhagen and both said it was one of the best cruise experiences they have ever had. They enjoyed the variety of food, said it was of high quality, and said there was enough complimentary alcohol for those that imbibe to "float a battleship." Best of all was the crew and staff which included numerous former Seabourn employees.

I, too, just got off the Journey in Copenhagen after 12 wonderful days. The entire crew could not have been more accomodating. The food was excellant, and if you did not like what you chose it was quickly replaced. The wine selection was fantastic, from all over the world and we very much enjoyed the never-ending glass at lunch and dinner.

Azamara does it right.....the only complaint I have is that the time passed too quickly!

I'm adding my 5 cents to Cindi's....we will be up to a $1.00 in no time! Phillip was amazing along with every staff member that I was in contact with. If I remember correctly" Cindi" and another guest showed the executive chef how to make some changes to the mac and cheese, and the new version was on the menu the next night!The best cruise I have ever taken and hope my next one (with Cindi) in Jan. is just as special!

My husband and I have been on Royal Viking Sun which became The Crystal Line. We have been on Celebrity, Holland America, RCCL, Princess. We are looking forward to our 21 day trip on dec 21 to viet nam and will not be happy campers if the wine they are adding for "free" is taking away from everything else. None of the ships do the flaming desserts anymore and that is ok, but if you are taking away quality of food to offer wine (we are not real drinkers and it wouldn't make a difference to us) then I don't feel it is an addition it is a net loss. We are very easy going cruisers, but there are a lot of cruises out there and if Azamara doesn't live up to our expectations we will look into Oceania.:o

[quote name='alove5']My husband and I have been on Royal Viking Sun which became The Crystal Line. We have been on Celebrity, Holland America, RCCL, Princess. We are looking forward to our 21 day trip on dec 21 to viet nam and will not be happy campers if the wine they are adding for "free" is taking away from everything else. None of the ships do the flaming desserts anymore and that is ok, but if you are taking away quality of food to offer wine (we are not real drinkers and it wouldn't make a difference to us) then I don't feel it is an addition it is a net loss. We are very easy going cruisers, but there are a lot of cruises out there and if Azamara doesn't live up to our expectations we will look into Oceania.:o[/QUOTE]

Before you get nervous and prejudge the food, read the thread and all the reviews....the only one that has criticized the food is the OP. Many, many more people have said the food was wonderful and if the OP was on the "switchover" cruise, then look to that as the reason. They were offered something to make up for it both times they complained and I would bet that if a letter was written to the HO, something may have been done to regain confidence ;).

I think that you should keep on reading and just prepare yourself to enjoy your cruise. I too have been on Royal Viking and I have to say my experience on AZ was better because IMHO there is no finer customer service on the high seas - either today or "back in the day". The people onboard are truly sensational.

BTW - Royal Viking was bought by Klosters and then by Cunard. It was never owned by Crystal.

[quote name='alove5']My husband and I have been on Royal Viking Sun which became The Crystal Line. [/quote]I believe that [I]Royal Viking Sun[/I] was renamed [I]Seabourn Sun [/I]and then later became HAL [I]Prinsendam.[/I] All part of the Carnival family!

[quote name='alove5']My husband and I have been on Royal Viking Sun which became The Crystal Line. We have been on Celebrity, Holland America, RCCL, Princess. We are looking forward to our 21 day trip on dec 21 to viet nam and will not be happy campers if the wine they are adding for "free" is taking away from everything else. None of the ships do the flaming desserts anymore and that is ok, but if you are taking away quality of food to offer wine (we are not real drinkers and it wouldn't make a difference to us) then I don't feel it is an addition it is a net loss. We are very easy going cruisers, but there are a lot of cruises out there and if Azamara doesn't live up to our expectations we will look into Oceania.:o[/quote]

[SIZE=3][COLOR=indigo]Just a couple of things...

I concur with Mighty Quinn and Cindilouwho[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][COLOR=#4b0082][/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][COLOR=darkgreen]Royal Viking lineage[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][COLOR=indigo][/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][COLOR=indigo]I have sailed on both Royal Viking Sun and Prinsendam[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][COLOR=indigo] and I'm pretty sure that all of Crystals ships were original to Crystal if memory serves me correctly[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][COLOR=indigo]The other Royal Viking ships found homes in assortment of places [/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=3][COLOR=indigo]NCL, Royal Cruise Line and then onwards to Seabourn[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][COLOR=indigo]Royal Cruise Line took over Royal Viking Sea to become the Royal Oddysey the the Royal Viking Star originally went to NCL but then was moved to Royal Cruise Line to make the Star Odyssey[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][COLOR=indigo]which is currently sailing with Fred Olsen as the Black Watch [/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=3][COLOR=indigo]and from what I hear they have totally trashed the ship[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][COLOR=indigo]I must say the Star Odyssey was one of my favorite back in the day with the entire crew and officers being Greek. I sailed on her about 6 times[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][COLOR=indigo]Before the cruise line went out of business. At one point I was actually offered a position with the company in the main offices in SFO as a sales rep. It will always have a warm place in my heart[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][COLOR=darkgreen]Regarding the flaming desserts[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][COLOR=indigo]I was just on Princess in July for Alaska and there was Bananas Foster [/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=3][COLOR=indigo]and of course Baked Alaska[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][COLOR=indigo]I sail with Princess at least 2-3 times a year and I have experienced [/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=3][COLOR=indigo]at least one if not more flaming desserts while onboard[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][COLOR=indigo]I was on RCCL in March 2010 and they did a Cherries Jubilee[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][COLOR=darkgreen]Your concerns on food[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][COLOR=indigo]As a seasoned cruiser I'm not sure why you are letting the negative comments rattle you. You know that food is subjective and I'm sure that [/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=3][COLOR=indigo]you have had a glitch or 2 on at least one of your sailings. [/COLOR][/SIZE]
[COLOR=#4b0082][SIZE=3]I know I [COLOR=indigo]ALWAYS order the crab quiche appetizer on Princess..out of the 25 or so times I've had it, 2 times [/COLOR][/SIZE][/COLOR]
[SIZE=3][COLOR=indigo]it was horrible (what's up with that?) and after 15 years Princess had the audacity to take my favorite pate appetizer off the menu and don't even get me started about [/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][COLOR=indigo]the lobster thermidor or the amaretti di gavi cookies [/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][COLOR=indigo]disappearing!!!!!! menus change, chefs change...[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][COLOR=#4b0082]sometimes perfection doesn't happen, but it doesnt [/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][COLOR=#4b0082]mean that is the standard to judge an entire cruise line by.[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][COLOR=indigo][COLOR=red]There are just as many [I]if not more[/I] positive reviews about the food.[/COLOR] [/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][COLOR=indigo]Also, I would suggest that when you read negative reviews that you look at the history of the poster. While they might be very articulate[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][COLOR=indigo]and able to express their preferences..it's important to know [/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=3][COLOR=indigo]what their travel style is and what have you been able to gather from his past posts. [/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][COLOR=indigo]I also recommend you take the same approach to the positive posters. [/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][COLOR=indigo]You said yourself that you were very easy cruisers..I think you should stick with that approach...the minute you start approaching an experience that you are expecting a problem and you won't be a happy camper...it's almost guaranteed you WILL have that experience...[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][COLOR=indigo]just my 2 cents ( I don't live in Canada) [/COLOR][/SIZE]

• 2 weeks later...
[quote name='cindilouwho']I have sailed on many cruises...going on my 79th in January and was in the travel industry for 15 years (until I got a real job :) ) and my experience with the Hotel Director was very limited until I met Philip Hebert! He greeted all passengers in person at embarkation, advising us that he would be available for assistance at any time should we need anything at all. I thought "Sure, sure" ..... however he proved me wrong. He was ALWAYS visible and if you called him via the front desk he ALWAYS responded quickly. I wanted a private bridge tour ---- done! I requested a meeting with Executive Chef ---- DONE! I had a special request for my stateroom .... DONE! My wonderful agent flagged me as a VIP and I was treated like a rock star. If there was anything amiss or if you wanted a special request fulfilled he was there to do it for you. He was at all the functions and wanted to know if there was a problem ..... I mean HE WANTED FEEDBACK!! Wow!

I was blown away by the level of his involvement in all things great and small. It was the most amazing feat of customer facing service and management prowess I have ever seen.

That is why I book AZ - the customer service experience is way beyond expectations.

I don't know if the OP provided feedback to the HD about the dining room or the food but I can tell you from firsthand knowledge that if they had things would hve been set right or recompense would have been offered.

I am a foodie, I like a good wine, I am not a rock star or a diva (hmmm....well maybe a diva ;) ) and I treat folks the way I would like to be treated. Azamara was simply the nicest most comfortable cruise I have ever taken because of the experience of Philip and his staff. I can put up with the admin issues and the grammar in the copy of the website and the occasional meal that fails to impress - because I know that what really counts is how the folks on board treat you - and THAT is a direct reflection on how they are treated themselves.

Just my 5 cents.....[/quote]

We are Platinum with Princess and I have a background as the owner of a large restaurant. We lived in Europe for 4 years and love European wine.

I still recommend Princess if you are a "best bang for the buck" cruiser like we are. However, we have traded up to Azamara and feel we are getting "great" value and are going to be in a balcony room again.

On our cruise from Barcelona to Copenhagen in May we were served many wonderful European wines and as "winos" this really added value to our cruise. If you are a food snob or wine snob then this cruise line might not be for you. However, in my opinion we enjoyed a truly high quality food and dining experience so we are going to travel on the Quest from Athens to Dubai in November.

As someone who has dealt with the public for many years I greatly respect this firms continued desire to make something right for you. If you have reasonable expectations then you will find they will be exceeded with excelent food offerings and wonderful wine pairings.

Gourmet food doesn't happen on cruiseships. It can be quite good. For real gourmet food, find a small restaurant with a great kitchen. Cruiseships stick to a preprinted menu. This means that a lot of the food is prepared ahead of time. Often they use frozen products. Azamara has a nice assortment of very good food. Prime C has the best steaks and the best service. The MDR is good, but not gourmet. Many people like Aquilina. I'm not a fan of frozen fish. I like fresh grilled or broiled fish with nice seasoning. Not the kind that cruiseships can produce. I live where it is easy to catch or buy fresh fish. I don't expect gourmet food on any cruise. Too many people expect cruiseships to be ultra deluxe....and most are just good. Enjoy the good food and have a nice cruise. For gourmet food, skip the cruise and find a restaurant on land that doesn't stick solely to a preprinted menu.

Archived