Just back off I.O.S Western Med - any questions?

Hi Frogsgirl.

I am going on same cruise ( I think ) on the 11th Sept. A few questions for you.

What were drink prices like ( not wine ) spirits, beers and cocktails ?

Did you go to any of the speciality resteraunts, if so were they worth it ?

We dont plan to do any of RCC trips, were the ports easy to DIY ?

And lastly did you notice any round of golf excursions arranged ? :)

Regards

Stuart

Did you choose to book your air through RCCL or on your own? If you chose RC did you encounter any problems? We are probably going to book a cruise to the med. cruise next year...thanks in advance...

Yeah TTT for drink prices on IotS when it's sailing out of Southampton please!!!

I'm afraid that the menu that was posted for one of the US based RCCL ships not so long back (which was very reasonable imho) isn't going to be representative of the prices on IotS during its 6 month stint out of England

Hi Frogsgirl.

I am going on same cruise ( I think ) on the 11th Sept. A few questions for you.

What were drink prices like ( not wine ) spirits, beers and cocktails ? cocktails ranged from $6.50 upwards. Strongbow cider was £4 a bottle (eek) there was a beer bucket special which if I remember rightly was 6 bottles beers & a free bucket for $16.

Did you go to any of the speciality resteraunts, if so were they worth it ? Went to Portofino's very intimate but the food in the MDR was just as good but atmosphere not as intimate.

We dont plan to do any of RCC trips, were the ports easy to DIY ? We did 3 trips (Pisa, Rome, Lisbon) all expensive & would definately do them myself next time. If you do the research yes they are all accessible if you are fit.

And lastly did you notice any round of golf excursions arranged ?No :)

Regards

Stuart

Hi Stuart, apologies for the delay, been up to my eyeballs in washing:eek:See my responses above in blue. Have a great trip, the ship & staff are wonderful:)

Did you choose to book your air through RCCL or on your own? If you chose RC did you encounter any problems? We are probably going to book a cruise to the med. cruise next year...thanks in advance...

Hi there, luckily we live in England, a 4 hour journey to the port so no flying involved. The Med was wonderful:)

Yeah TTT for drink prices on IotS when it's sailing out of Southampton please!!!

I'm afraid that the menu that was posted for one of the US based RCCL ships not so long back (which was very reasonable imho) isn't going to be representative of the prices on IotS during its 6 month stint out of England

Hi I'm looking for some of my receipts & I don't think there was the 15% service charge added, hadn't noticed that until now (not that I was sloshed or anything like that :o, couldn't afford to be:eek:)

Indy is sailing from Southampton year round now not just for 6 month summer season. She's as British and Elton John and Queen Liz now! :D

Just an observation, your profile name? Is it a play on the Peter Kay joke? If so, surely it should be:

HAS THAN OWT MOIST?! as opposed to yours which is HAS THA GOT NOWT MOIST......which would be just plain incorrect.

"there was a beer bucket special which if I remember rightly was 6 bottles beers & a free bucket for $16."

Hi Frogsgirl

Thanks for the reply. 6 beers for $16 seems very cheap to me, Just hope your right.

What did the in-room TV show, anything worth watching, any films.

Was there any live sport shown in any of the bars ?

Thanks

Stuart

I enjoyed your review Frogsgirl.......my main worry I think mirrors one of your comments surrounding fellow passengers. All my previous sailings leaving US shores with an American/International crowd as opposed to what appears to be a 95% British cruise from Southampton. I worry whether that will spoil the magic of it?

I love the States and the different people we meet when cruising ex Florida........it'll be interesting to compare.

I enjoyed your review Frogsgirl.......my main worry I think mirrors one of your comments surrounding fellow passengers. All my previous sailings leaving US shores with an American/International crowd as opposed to what appears to be a 95% British cruise from Southampton. I worry whether that will spoil the magic of it?

I love the States and the different people we meet when cruising ex Florida........it'll be interesting to compare.

Thanks, I read a number of reviews prior to our sailing & was determined to go with an open mind. Everyones opinions are subjective & mine are no different. I hope your cruise will be a fabulous one, the ship & staff were wonderful without exception,it's a shame you just can not choose your fellow passengers.

One thing is for sure, most of the folk we cruised with won't be on your cruise!;)

"there was a beer bucket special which if I remember rightly was 6 bottles beers & a free bucket for $16."

Hi Frogsgirl

Thanks for the reply. 6 beers for $16 seems very cheap to me, Just hope your right.

Thanks

Stuart

Hi Stuart, I'm sensing a theme to your questions here;)

If I got it wrong re the beer bucket please forgive me, whilst sipping my rather large cocktail I'm sure that's what the bar sign said:o

The TV did loop 2 of our great British classics and The Vicar of Dibley & One Foot in the Grave repeats have spurred me on to request the TV series on DVD from Santa!

There were about 12 films priced at $12.95 each and you could save them for a while to watch again. We watched Clash of the Titans which I believe has just come out on boxoffice on Sky.

Yes live football was shown in a number of bars and announcements were made shipwide advising of the venue & time, the ship tended to list to one side after the announcements and beer buckets were popular, whatever the price:)

Enjoy

To help me maintain my Current Captains thread, could you verify for me who the captain was...was it Remo or Teo Strazicic?

Remo got off at Southampton with us, its Teo now, I believe.

Thanks for the review - i was on the cruise too and agree with you - a very British holiday and a very very big ship.

Just to add;

Joff Eaton was the Cruise Director - was very hardworking - make sure you do the progressive quiz from day one!!!!

Further to drinks prices - I regularly had a Margherita Patron with ice which was $10.25. When I had the 'basic' margherita, which was about $6.25 it was clearly a ready made mix, not so good. My better half discovered the 'oil cans' of Fosters which were good value. Otherwise, prices higher than we're used to in our local pubs.

Reboarding from the ports - I brought on a bottle of wine bought at Lisbon -It was in a bright blue carrier bag and I declared it at every sea pass card check. I was told to put it on the x ray conveyor belt than hand it in at the table. The man watching the x rays machine shouted out in a loud voice 'bottle of alcohol!!' as if I was trying to smuggle it on board. I wasnt impressed.

Remo got off at Southampton with us, its Teo now, I believe.

Thanks for the review - i was on the cruise too and agree with you - a very British holiday and a very very big ship.

Just to add;

Joff Eaton was the Cruise Director - was very hardworking - make sure you do the progressive quiz from day one!!!!

Further to drinks prices - I regularly had a Margherita Patron with ice which was $10.25. When I had the 'basic' margherita, which was about $6.25 it was clearly a ready made mix, not so good. My better half discovered the 'oil cans' of Fosters which were good value. Otherwise, prices higher than we're used to in our local pubs.

Reboarding from the ports - I brought on a bottle of wine bought at Lisbon -It was in a bright blue carrier bag and I declared it at every sea pass card check. I was told to put it on the x ray conveyor belt than hand it in at the table. The man watching the x rays machine shouted out in a loud voice 'bottle of alcohol!!' as if I was trying to smuggle it on board. I wasnt impressed.

LOL - we too bought port from Portugal & sherry from Spain, declared as we popped it on the belt, a loud voice from the x-ray machine boomed "liqor". Funnily enough we bought 2 bottles of wine for our neighbours from Vigo & were told to hand in but the fella at the table looked in the bag & waved us on saying we were OK:confused:, we were tempted but did keep it for the neighbours :)

Frogsgirl

I think you have the wrong impression of me.:confused:. Its not all football and beer:)

Thanks for the answers and your imformatve review.

stuart

Stuart I clearly have got the wrong impression, please accept my profuse apologies. I've just seen this other thread so it may be worth following this one just to see what comes of it..happy sailing:)

http://cruiseforums.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1266046

Hi Frogsgirl

Thanks

Stuart

From another thread - you get a cool bag with 8 beers in:

Originally Posted by madlotusgirl viewpost.gif

Just off Independence from Southampton and original price was $38.95 incl grats and when we returned to have it re-filled, I was rather strangely asked if I wanted another bag of the discount! We took the discount and the cost was $31 inc grats. We had 4 Bud, 2 Miller Lite and 2 Coors Lite in it so it isn't restricted just to Bud products

Archived