Sea Conditions in May

DaveMan53

Does anyone know of a website that shows the historical sea conditions on the Alaska coast, specifically in May? I'll be taking the inside passage on the Summit in early May and want to see what to expect regarding ocean conditions.

• 2 weeks later...

Alot of people say cruising Alaska's Inside Passage is a good cruise for first timers. Vancouver Island and the Queen Charlottes buffer the ship from the open ocean, and although there are passages that are exposed to open water, for the most part, it is quite calm.

I believe there are a few web sites where you can local buoy information, but it's mostly current wind speed and tidal info. You could try Environment Canada's web site: http://weatheroffice.ec.gc.ca/canada_e.html

Franci

Here you go for more info. you'll have to finish the research yourself.Sorry http://answers.noaa.gov/cgi-bin/answers.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_sid=Lk3qPLyh&p_lva=&p_faqid=1&p_created=1013195520&p_sp=cF9ncmlkc29ydD0mcF9yb3dfY250PTI0OCZwX3BhZ2U9MQ**&p_li= ..... and if you want more info than you'll ever use.... http://www.linkupalaska.com/maps/ ~~Enjoy Alaska~~ ...sure glad I don't have a life but on here in the winter...heehee...just kidding...I enjoy this or I wouldn't be doing it!

I'm booked on the 6:30pm train out of Seward in May going to Anchorage. My flight leaves Anchorage at 12:50am. The woman making my train reservation felt that there wasn't a comfortable time frame for getting to the train.

What do you think?

I think I'll be fine barring a catastrophe....if the train takes about 4 hours, that gets me into A by 10:30pm or so....I think that there is plenty of time.

I'd greatly appreciate your input.

Thank You!

I'm booked on the 6:30pm train out of Seward in May going to Anchorage. My flight leaves Anchorage at 12:50am. The woman making my train reservation felt that there wasn't a comfortable time frame for getting to the train.

What do you think?

I think I'll be fine barring a catastrophe....if the train takes about 4 hours, that gets me into A by 10:30pm or so....I think that there is plenty of time.

Thank You!

THE TRAIN LEAVES SEWARD AT 6PM ..sharp!..can vary on Anc arrival, sometimes they stop to look at wildlife,ocassionally stop in Moose Pass & Girdwood ..You should be fine if you catch a taxi as soon as you get into Anch and get to the airport asap.I've always seen taxis waiting out front of the depot.Things to ponder...Will you have a cell phone with to possibly reserve a taxi as you get into Anc,just in case?Will you have alot of luggage needing to be recovered on arrival?How many people are with you? How high is your stress level?If I was traveling alone or with a husband/friend that could keep up with me, I would probably take the chance.The train ride is really nice.You may want to consider the advice of the reservation lady,there are no guarantees.If all goes well(train in around 10:30 with a few mins on either side) you should be at the airport by 11pm...Another option for getting to Anc ..http://www.pjstaxi.com Good luck and enjoy Alaska!

What do you think?

Thank You!

As mentioned- you can NOT count on the train arriving on time and so far the regular run does NOT stop at the airport, so you will go downtown- past the airport and will need a cab back. The luggage is bulk loaded in bins- so you will have to find your bags in the dark. :) Cabs do line up, but the trains run full and the first off get the cabs. It is an excellent suggestion to have your cell phone handy with an Anchorage Cab company, and call them as soon as you enter Anchorage to meet you. Anchorage airport requires a 2 hour window- very slow moving congested airport, especially at night. So no you don't have "plenty of time".

Not sure how "Sea Conditions in May" became a discussion on trains and airports, but....

The connection mentioned above is tight, but not too big an issue. Trains stay pretty close to schedule. There will no traffic from downtown to the airport to worry about.

Though the airlines often enforce the rules about being onboard or at least at the gate 10 minutes before departure time, you have something going for you, IF THIS IS THE LAST FLIGHT of the night for this airline. If you are in the checkin line a good 30 minutes plus before flight time, they will make sure they get you on the plane. Delayed checkin at the counter oly causes you problems when there are LOTS of flights leaving. They really do not want somebody stuck there overnight because they were slow checking bags. You can double check the particular airlines schedule to see if they have any later flights. You should be just fine. Tight, but fine.

PS - do not make one of the bigger mistakes people make in planning, with terms like "about 4 hours" or arrive "about 10:30". I just looked at the Alaska RR site and see that your train is 6:00 t0 10:15pm.

http://www.alaskarailroad.com/passenger/tt_may-sept.htm#CoastalClassic

The other travel mistake people make is "aunt sally took this train last year and said she got in at xxxx time". We all love Aunt Sally, but the time is what she "remembers" and what happened last year may not relate to this year. Schedules change..

Gee.... do I sound like a grump? Don't mean to. Just helping people be more accurate.

Thank you all very much for all your help. I did phone a limousine service, who for $50, will meet me at the train station. I haven't committed to that yet.

I will most likely have 2 suitcases with me, and will be by myself.

Yes, it is the last flight of the day.

I will have a cell phone with me....I could contact a cab, and better yet, perhaps I will meet someone also going to the airport at that time.

Okay, my stress has increased with this new information, but I'd rather know the score than not. What is the worst that could happen, I miss my flight, I stay overnight, and work it out in the morning. No big deal to me.

Garycarla...the thread changed subjects due to me....GlacierLady sounded like she could answer my time travel question re: train ride, and she did.

Thank you all for your help. I know the train ride will be wonderful, hope I do see some wildlife and beauty along the way. And yes, I do indeed intend to thoroughly enjoy Alaska...can hardly wait!

Archived