Caribbean Princess R746 or other Aft Cabins???

AliceS

Yes, I would also like to know about those Riviera Deck Aft cabins, I'm slated to go on the CP~11.26.05 cruise in R747. They look cool; looking aft towards the ships wake, but I was wondering about the Terrace Pool area, as far as late night noise.

Alan,

Hadn't thought about the pool noise. They had Island Night out there on the Golden, Yikes! We saw the CP in port and checked out the double port holes in those back cabins. I wonder if they are larger cabins? There are only four of them. Guess we'll find out soon. We leave on 3/5. I'll let you know. If someone has stayed in these cabins, please share your experience.

Yes, Alice... It can get to be a ruckus back there on those nights I've heard. The rooms do look in the Princess Book, bigger than the other "C" category rooms. I would imagine, like all "Aft" cabins, they have there following. Hope someone can give us more insight to those rooms. Will be waiting on your report though, once you get back.

We were in R749 Feb 12-19. I have to say this was the worst Princess cabin we ever were in of our 16 Princess cruises. On the plus side, it was very quiet, no one ever passed our room as it was the last room before the emergency exit. We didn't hear much noise at all from the deck above. It was also close to the rear pool and the Horizon, which we could enter from its rear entrance. On the negative, it only has two small port holes as opposed to the traditional larger window on the typical outside cabins. It also suffered from the most movement I've ever experienced in a cabin on a cruise ship. Some nights I felt that I was going to fall out of bed from the rolling. The movement was much, much more noticable here than on other more forward parts of the ship. Also, the cabin was much smaller than other standard outside cabins. In fact, it was the same size as the inside cabins. There was very little room between the bed and the sides of the room, so pulling one's luggage out from under the bed to retrieve something was cumbersome. Also, there was less storage furniture in the room than other outside cabins, and no arm chair. This cabin was an upgrade from an obstructed view cabin for us but knowing what I know now we would have been much more comfortable in obstructed view cabin.

steveg,

Other that that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the show? Looks like that's where we'll be next week on 3/5 and you had Graham Seymore! Well tell me the best things about the ship. What shows did you love? Did you have PC or traditional dining? What did you do in port?

No chair? Really? Oh no!

It seems the aft cabins on the CP do feel more motion. We just returned from the cruise and were in cabin C742 - the last cabin on the port side on Caribe deck ( deck 10). We felt the motion through the night, and some of it was from the engines I think. But we loved the cabin and the large balcony. We enjoyed the cruise a lot....did not like the extra passengers they have on this ship (500 more than the other Grand Class ships). Did feel it was very crowded in some areas, but you can escape the crowds in other sections. It will not take away from your enjoyment of the cruise. There is much to do, it's a beautiful ship, food is good. lots of activities and entertainment was pretty good except for the "Let's Rock" production. You will have fun.

Now you guys have me really worried. We are booked on our first Princess cruise - B752 aft balcony. How much motion is there?

On the days when the ocean swells were high, there was more motion than I have experienced on other ships. On calm seas it was just fine.

To those who asked, other than the cabin, the cruise was great. Enjoyed the food, the entertainment, any everything else about it. This was the 4th or 5th time for us on the same itinerary having done it before on both the Grand and the Golden. To be honest, I was worried about the extra 500 passengers, but I really didn't see much difference in crowds between what we experienced on these other ships where there were 500 fewer passengers. We ate traditional second seating since we prefer having the same waiter every night with the same tablemates. My wife and I never went away hungry. There is always something that should suit one's taste and there is a large selection from the "always available" side of the menu should the evening's selections not be to your liking. Even on the one night that I at first didn't see anything on the menu for "Caribbean Night", I tried the mixed seafood selection and enjoyed it so much that I ordered a second. Also, I recommend ordering the pastas (either from the main menu or the alternative vegetarian selection) as a separate appetizer-sized course served before the main course. They are usually delicious. If you like shrimp cocktail, order a double or triple each night as an appetizer and ask the waiter to put them on one plate.

We enjoyed Bert Stratton and his piano playing - he is truly a wonderful human being as well as a very talented musician and composer. Graham was very good as CD, but as noted, is leaving. I don't know who is replacing him.

I was asked what benefits I got as an Elite. First, I didn't have to wait for a tender ticket to get to Princess Cays - you can go right down to the tenders and board the next one. We also got free laundry and dry cleaning, which came in handy when something fell on my pants at dinner one night. We got one setup of soda, bottled water, and small airplane-sized bottles of liquor in the cabin (which we brought home). We were also invited to a most-traveled passengers luncheon with the cabin, which was very nice. Only about 30-40 passengers were invited to this.

With regard to the cabin again, the stern cabins that have a balcony are probably much bigger than these outside cabins on the Riviera deck. They, however, are probably subject to the same amount of rolling that our cabin sufferred.

How did tendering into Princess Cay go if the seas were that rough? Looks like we will be in R746 and will love it on Saturday. I appreciate your honest response to my question. It's always good to know what to expect, good, bad or indifferent. Thanks again.

Has anyone else out there experienced one of these cabins?

Now you guys have me really worried. We are booked on our first Princess cruise - B752 aft balcony. How much motion is there?

We were in cabin C752. There is much more motion in this aft cabin, then there is mid ship. If you are prone to motion sickness, I would have second thoughts. It took me a few days, to get used to the swaying.

Minette

Well, no Graham Seymore and we have a bad cabin. We'll still have better weather than Pittsburgh and we'll enjoy that aft pool and hot tubs and an easy walk to the Horizon Court. Oh wait, that might not be a good thing. Let's pray for calm seas.

Anyone else stayed here??????? I have heard that the cabins are smaller than most and then someone said they are larger. They look smaller to me.

Dawne,

We just booked 752 also. for June 25th. when is your cruise?

Boonite, we are sailing May 14th, Eastern. When we get back I'll let you know how it went. My husband is probably more prone to motion sickness than I am but on our March, 2004 cruise the swells reached 12 ft. - we pingponged down the hallway(especially in heels) and I foolishly sat through the first show. The theater was forward. If my stomach didn't feel quesy before watching the blue curtains swaying back and forth it surely did during and after. I had to talk myself out of getting sick. I didn't take anything for seasickness that time but I think I will be prepared for this one.

Try ginger root from the health food store. I haven't heard from anyone else who stayed in a cabin aft on Riveria, but some would kill for those aft balcony cabins on the lower decks. They look great and I would trade for one of those, except that I don't want to pay the price. We like to go often and try to save some $$ and just go for the great cabins once in a while. We always sit out at the aft pool and I love it there. Let's hope for calm seas. We leave tomorrow, I'll let you know my experience later.

Dawnee ,

Please let me know about the cabin . Im not bothered by the motion , and dont drink , but sometimes in the past , you could watch me come down a hall and I would look like I was drunk as could be. We are on the eastern also and have not been to St. Martin , but am excited to go there.

We just returned from the CP this morning and had the C752 and it was just great- the seas were smooth- to just a little rough and we really did not notice the motion at all. I know the higher the people got they had it, but we had the door open the entire night and heard the wake during the night. It was an excellent cruise. BTW, we are used to the minisuites along the side towards the elevators and really had troubles in those suites on the Grand and Golden. I am NOT rocking at all tonight!! Which is great.

Jan

Archived