Bike & Kayak, anyone done it?

mslaabs

I've been looking at the Bike and Kayak tour with RCCI. Just wondering if anyone had done this tour and can answer a couple of questions:

1. Just how far do you have to take the bike?

2. It says ride on a dirt road, is it difficult to ride in the dirt? I just picture this dirt road being like sand.

3. On the kayak part, where did you go and what do you see?

Any info anyone has would be greatly appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...

Wife and I did it two years ago. Maybe 10 -15 minute bike ride on dirt road. Not hard to ride. Hard road. Kayak at beach at end of bike ride-back and forth parallel to beach. No destination- just exercise. Kind of expensive for what you get. Wouldn't bother to do it again. May find a local to take us out to a reef next month to snorkel when we are there.

• 2 weeks later...

We did the bike and kayak excursion last week. It was about a three mile bike ride on the way out -- part paved road, part dirt road, part hard sand. It was all easy riding except for the "speed bumps," which consisted of really thick rope intended to slow down motorized vehicles. We road through the town (if you can call it that) to a beach where the kayaks were located.

After a brief lesson, we kayaked out into the ocean in essentially a big circle and came back. It was not scenic. We kayaked about 45 minutes. Unfortunately it was windy so the ocean was choppy so it was more work than usual.

We rested on the beach for about 25 minutes and then rode back on a shorter path.

The biggest negative, however, was that the equipment was substandard. During the biking, one person's pedal fell off and my chain kept slipping. We each had to get different bikes. Other people had problems, too.

The description of the excursion talks about having the bike fitted to you. My seat was raised but it immediately collapsed when I started riding. The helmets were old baseball helmets -- not riding helmets.

This was our first kayaking experience, but we were told by people who had kayaked in the past that the kayaks also left a lot to be desired.

Although we did enjoy the exercise and having the opportunity to kayak, I would recommend against this excursion.

Archived