? for all fellow cruise ASAP......

mx315

My friends are leaving on cruise sat.....Her father just entered the hospital and is not doing to good..My ? is....Will she be able to get her money back if she has to cancel...Or get a refund,Will she be able to go on another cruise.....Any help will be greatly helpful for her..Thank you guys ahead of time...She has alot going on right now.So Iam trying to help her out..

My friends are leaving on cruise sat.....Her father just entered the hospital and is not doing to good..My ? is....Will she be able to get her money back if she has to cancel...Or get a refund,Will she be able to go on another cruise.....Any help will be greatly helpful for her..Thank you guys ahead of time...She has alot going on right now.So Iam trying to help her out..

Only if she has purchased trip insurance for the cruise.

Hope things work out for her.

Hopefuly she bought trip insurance which includes the ability to cancel if a family member needs her presence. Otherwise, she'll lose her cruise. She might check her credit card insurance..sometimes there are some options there for a partial refund of some costs.

This isn't a popular suggestion but it can't hurt to contact Carnival and see what they say..

This situation is exactly what insurance is for and lots of people get miffed when they pay for insurance to cover situations like this and see the cruise line turn around and show a little bit of mercy to someone in a bad situation.

So... it can't hurt to see if Carnival can help you out but by no means should you expect it - in fact they may tell you exactly what has been said already - that this is why there is travel insurance.

Sorry and I hope everything works out for your friend and her dad.

"Officially," she loses her cruise and her money without a travel insurance policy. Unofficially, and IF Carnival chooses to, she may get a credit to use toward a future cruise within 1 year, maybe 2. The credit might be partial, might be full----Might be zero. If she does have to cancel, she should document the problem and contact Carnival.

Hopefully she purchased trip insurance. If not, she should not cancel, but she should "no show" if she cannot go on the cruise. If she used a TA, she should contact them for advice as they may have an "in" at Carnival if they do a lot of business for Carnival. At any rate, she should get her Dad's doc to write a letter discussing his condition and how the tenuousness of it makes her unable to be away from him. After the cruise has sailed, she should contact Carnival to find out where to send/fax this letter. (If she used a TA, they will know the address).

If she has not purchased insurance, she is not entitled to get anything. Sometimes the cruiselines make an acception.

I hope everything works out and she doesn't need to use any of the advice she has received here.

This isn't a popular suggestion but it can't hurt to contact Carnival and see what they say...

Writing a letter probably the best way to contact them, but OP will still be lucky to get some kind of future cruise credit ... but if they have to cancel, its about their only hope.

I would call Carnival, not write a letter... You get a lot more sympathy from a person on the other end of the phone than someone just replying to hundreds of letters a day.

I don't have any experience with Carnival in this situation but I did once have to change a flight because my Grandfather died unexpectedly. I was able to change the date and destination without any fee because I basically begged for mercy and the agent was very sympathetic. It doesn't always work but it's always worth a try.

This situation is exactly what insurance is for...

Not really. Insurance is most important for medical coverage and medical evacuations from abroad. Compared to those potentially huge costs, the $500 to $1000 pp spent on the the cost of the typical cruise is penny ante stuff. You could afford to lose that money and, if you cruise frequently, make it up over the long term by not buying insurance.

If it wasn't for the much bigger medical reason to have insurance at least.

I just had to cancel a cruise on 08/20/2010 for the 8/23/2010 Elation cruise.

When I called to cancel, I received the "I am sorry your husband is in the hospital, buy the way you did not purchase our trip insurance so we are keeping 100% of the cruise cost" speech. They did however refund the port charges and the prepaid gratuities.

I did purchase trip insurance through a 3rd party and have filed a claim with them for the remaining balance. So I did not complain to Carnival to see if we could get anything else out of them.

Good luck to your friend. I hope her Dad gets better and if she did not purchase insurance, I hope Carnival can do something for her.

We buy coverage for all cruises mostly for the medical provisions. Our daughter had stitches on one cruise so anything can and will come up. Going into financial ruin for a medical condition is not in my future plans. This being my main concern I would not be upset or pout about the fact Carnival allowed a passenger an out for a parent who is possibly dying as long as it is documented and cash does not get returned.;)

Archived