Live...Live....Live from the Oasis 8/28/10 with Merion Mom

So, Tuesday night;

Unexpected Boys. I saw them on the Mariner in February 2009. They were very good. This was good too, but it made me realize how *thin* the so_called storyline is. The singing was good, and we enjoyed it. Ran into the guys at the Schooner Bar last night, and they were barely and superficially nice. They told me that there are at least thirty of them, and they rotate. None of them had been on my Mariner cruise.

THE QUEST

Richard Spacey runs a very funny Quest. He had lots of extra helpers from more than just the CD staff. Aquatheatre people, but not Jesse ;), singers, dancers.....

One problem that I had with how he does things.

He sort of says that it is not suitable for children, but does not give any age limit nor does he ask ANYONE to leave. Not only were there kids IN the theatre (Studio B), but he let them participate fully in all the Quests. To me, that's just wrong. It's one thing for adults to act like kids; to have kids doing kid stuff is just useless and stupid. The fun of Quest is when adults are forced to do silly stunts that make them look like fools. Ask little kids to form a pyramid, and that's just play for them. It's the grownups who look hysterical as they fall over and act uncoordinated. There were several more examples like this.

All in all, a fun Quest.

Oh, did I mention? We won!!!!!!!!! :D

DAY 5

Costa Maya.

We got up early to disembark in Costa Maya, earlier than we had to. I thought that we had the Bridge Tour, but that was today. OOPS. Went back to bed.

Walked off in Costa Maya and strolled around the shopping area. Didn't buy anything. Took the bus ($3US) to the beach/bar area. Asked for Pez Quadro. People sent us in all different directions. We had a lovely stroll the entire length of the Malecon, only to discover that Pez Quadro was exactly where we had started from, and NO ONE had said: oh, here it is.

Had guacamole and chips, margaritas and coke, and walked through the shallows. Then we took a cab back to port. ($4 US total).

We were on the Oasis in Februrary and saw the Unexpected Boys. My 4-year LOVED them. We were sitting in the front row and they sang directly to her (she has the Jersey Boys Soundtrack memorized so she was singing along with them). She had her picture taken after the show with the group, and we ran into them at Cafe Promenade the next morning. Brian Noonan, the leader of the group, was over the top friendly to us. Asked us to e-mail him pictures of our daughter to him, which we did. He e-mailed us back immediately to thank us. They were great and we hope to see them on the Allure in December!

So, Tuesday night;

Unexpected Boys. I saw them on the Mariner in February 2009. They were very good. This was good too, but it made me realize how *thin* the so_called storyline is. The singing was good, and we enjoyed it. Ran into the guys at the Schooner Bar last night, and they were barely and superficially nice. They told me that there are at least thirty of them, and they rotate. None of them had been on my Mariner cruise.

THE QUEST

Richard Spacey runs a very funny Quest. He had lots of extra helpers from more than just the CD staff. Aquatheatre people, but not Jesse ;), singers, dancers.....

One problem that I had with how he does things.

He sort of says that it is not suitable for children, but does not give any age limit nor does he ask ANYONE to leave. Not only were there kids IN the theatre (Studio B), but he let them participate fully in all the Quests. To me, that's just wrong. It's one thing for adults to act like kids; to have kids doing kid stuff is just useless and stupid. The fun of Quest is when adults are forced to do silly stunts that make them look like fools. Ask little kids to form a pyramid, and that's just play for them. It's the grownups who look hysterical as they fall over and act uncoordinated. There were several more examples like this.

All in all, a fun Quest.

Oh, did I mention? We won!!!!!!!!! :D

Do you know how long the "Unexpected Boys" will be on board??

I agree watching kids do something stupid is not the same as watching us adults make a fool of ourselves.

Greetings fellow Cruise Critics.

I am currently on board the indescribably amazing Oasis of the Seas on Day 2 of an altered weeklong sailing.

Originally:

Nassau

sea day

St. Thomas

St. Maarten

sea day

sea day

disembark

Now, thanks to TS Earl:

Nassau - staying later, until 5 instead of 2

sea day

sea day

Costa Maya

Cozumel

sea day

disembark

We have heard that the Carnival ships originally doing the eastern itinerary have similarly altered their plans.

Lord knows how crowded Coz & Costa Maya will be!

Next post: Life on board the Oasis!

Hey Carol,

Great seeing your posts! We have a D1 for Allure in March 2011. Glad you are enjoying your cruise. We are looking forward to your pictures.

Have a great long weekend to recoup from Oasis.

Hey Carol, I live vicariously through your LIVE.. LIVE.. threads. I want more!! Where else would I learn that ships actually fart? Continue to have a safe and wonderful cruise and thanks for taking the time to have us sail with you :D

I am going on the oasis in Oct how do you get a bridge tour??

If you are D+ you are given choices of tours. We had a kitchen and a backstage tour and bridge tour offered to us to choose from on our last cruise.:)

Carol...........I'm just going to live vicariously thru you on the Oasis........and expect to hear it all first hand Sunday or Monday, when you join us on the Mariner of the Seas.

No crowns......but a chair is being held in your honor, at the Schooner Bar!!:D:D

Rick

I thought I read they were smaller...........wondering if they still fit a Notebook computer?

Thanks and loving your posts, we are Oasis back to back, mid Oct. !!!:)

I was on Oasis in June. Not only will the safe not fit a notebook computer. It was too small for my daughter's little netbook.

I thought I read they were smaller...........wondering if they still fit a Notebook computer?

I got my Ipad in there, but then the safe wouldn't open anymore. I called somebody up to have them open it. He said, the size is to close of a fit that it jams the lock. Why did they make the safes so much smaller?

Very much enjoying your posts. Can you tell me if the guitarist Pedro Espedido is still on board? Thanks

Anne

Yes, and he is very good.

The bagpiper is playing all the time, too. Basically, he has been playing in the pub instead of jimmy blakemore, until mid-week. We hope to finally get to see Jimmy tonight.

This little mini-Dell fits in, but barely,and only with some maneuvering.

We are utterly convinced that a B2B is the way to go on Oasis/Allure.

That's why I booked the Allure B2B for next August.

WHO WANTS TO BE MY CABINMATE?!?!?!?!? :)

If you are D+ you are given choices of tours. We had a kitchen and a backstage tour and bridge tour offered to us to choose from on our last cruise.:)

We just slept through our D+ backstage tour. We're going to try to do the general one at noon.

Carol...........I'm just going to live vicariously thru you on the Oasis........and expect to hear it all first hand Sunday or Monday, when you join us on the Mariner of the Seas.

No crowns......but a chair is being held in your honor, at the Schooner Bar!!:D:D

Rick

Hey, thanks. See you in two days! :D

We are utterly convinced that a B2B is the way to go on Oasis/Allure.

That's why I booked the Allure B2B for next August.

WHO WANTS TO BE MY CABINMATE?!?!?!?!? :)

ME, ME, ME!!!!!!! You sound likes loads of fun!!!!:D

I set aside a nice chunk of time last night to post here......and the internet was down for hours and hours.

Funny story: I went up to the CL to go online, as usual.

Now, there are two terminals there.

Since Day 1, one of the computers hasn't worked. It just constantly wants to reboot itself. It doesn't do that, but it won't procede, either.

The other computer has worked just fine; connection speed has been decent,too.

Last night, I went to check my email.

The keyboard's "a" wouldn't work -couldn't access my email without an "a" ;)

So, I said to myself, Crol, just sign on to CC - after all, there's no "a" in Merion Mom.

Guess what?

The "n" didn't work either!!!!

Then I went in search of one of the little internet nooks on board. That's when I discovered that the whole internet was unavailable anyway. (even from the cabin, which is where I am now. Lorna JUST woke up) It took half an hour to get online this morning.

Everyone ready for more?

We have just made an important scientific discovery.

(Towel) Elephants cannot fly.

Ours was on the so-called coffee table, which is where our Cabin Dude puts our towel animals, and we put our Cruise Compasses. I needed a CC to remember what we were doing on Day 5. :D The Elephant just had to get out of the way.

He is now SPLAT on the floor.

Oops.

I was on Oasis in June. Not only will the safe not fit a notebook computer. It was too small for my daughter's little netbook.

Thanks for that info but ugh!! :(

Why are they messing with things that work.....adjustable shower head, large safe.........even plugs under the counter the hear!!

It is a netbook we have, sorry said notebook.........so I guess it won't fit this trip then.....

Thanks again, :)

Archived