Live...Live....Live from the Oasis 8/28/10 with Merion Mom

Thanks Carol for doing a LIVE Review.

It's Sunday, is it still Formal Night for you?

HOW do you remember what shows you Pre Booked?

Did yu get a print out? Or did you need to bring it with you?

Bon Voyage!

They do not give you a print out. You can pull up your reservations in your cabin on the TV.

very excited to hear your live report:D

Which Hilton had a free airport shuttle? the Hilton Marina?

thanks !! Kim

Airport Hilton. I don't know which others do or do not have shuttles. It is a LOVELY hotel. $9 shuttle pp to the port.

When I booked this cruise, waaaaaaaaaay back the day that bookings opened in early August 2008, I was hopeful that somehow my kids would be able to go with me. Naturally, it turned out otherwise.

But this means that I had booked a D1, which has the sofabed.

Ok, people, I have stayed in interiors on Sovereign class - 119 square feet.

I have stayed in the Royal Family Suite on the Mariner - I don't even KNOW how many square feet are there!

And all categories in between.

Royal Caribbean may call this a D cabin, but it ain't. You know that when you look at the website and deck plans and a D cabin is listed at 180 square feet, the size of an E cabin on Voyager/Freedom class ship.

You know what? They are TIGHT. Not spacious. Not enough storage. Many poorly designed features.

Don't get me wrong - I am loving this cruise and this ship.

But the *squeeze as many cabins in as possible* is very evident.

The outlet at the vanity is as bad or worse as previously described.

Less storage in the vanity area: Not 8 drawers, with one having the hairdryer; no, it's THREE drawers, with one having the hairdryer.

No desk drawer. No cheap plastic pen. Nada. Zilch. Bupkus.

Less next-to-the-mirror storage, too.

Beds when "apart" are VERY close together. Little space between the ends of the beds and the opposite wall. Little space to walk past the bed and the vanity. Table in front of the sofa has to be either very close to the sofa or very close to the vanity, in order to allow access to the other.

Shallow closet that is too small. Shelves not as good as drawers. Even the safe is smaller than safes on other ships!!!!!

Great balcony. That's what you are getting with a D1. There is room to put loungers instead of chairs, but our cabin steward refused. (there will be a separate post on "Stewart" later)

GREAT feature: nightlight in bathroom.

Bathroom is well laid out, but also less storage space.

Sink barely drains.

Again, LOVE the ship, LOVE the cruise. Disappointed, considering the cruise fare, what a so-called D cabin is. Will it ruin, or even "affect" my cruise? Nope.

But I am CERTAINLY glad that my kidS are not with me. Three in that cabin, particularly a Mom and two young adults: <SHUDDER>

Hi Carol, We were in a D8 in May and totally agree with you about the room... they can call it whatever they want but they did cheap out on the room.

Hi Merion Mom I to am very thankful that you will be posting a live review. I just LOVE THEM! I am curious as to what the dessert is in the pic and do they serve it on Oasis.

I sail in two weeks and am anxious for all info I can get so please keep it coming!!

It is a "famous" RC dessert: raspberry panna cotta. It's like a jello-y mousse, topped by a fresh raspberry. Order two, and see what you get....... :D

Also order the orange sherbet, which comes with a ladyfinger cookie, and you get an even better photo! (I have it; just didn't have quite enough "brass" to post it!)

Carol, your description of your D1 cabin made me laugh. You are sooo absolutely correct. We had the same observations! Loved our cruise, hated the cabin. IF we ever go back to the Oasis, would never do it unless we had a JS but they are asking an arm and leg for suites so likley we won't be back there again. By the way our cabin steward did give us a lounge chair,,,,after we slipped him a $10;)

I was just down at Guest Services, and asked for someone to bring us a lounge chair. The guy asked if I had asked my cabin attendant. (I had already told him that "Stewart" refused to bring one. ((He still hasn't introduced himself, so we still don't know his name)). Then he said, well, if the cabin steward says no, it's no.

Bad answer.

I gave him "the look". You all know "the look". My ex calls it "the fisheye".

He picked up his phone, called Housekeeping, turned to me and said, "They will be bringing you a lounger this evening."

Bon Voyage!

RCL will email you a confirmation. I have printed mine and will bring it, just in case. On the RC website under your reservation you can pull up the information and print everything you have reserved.

I was just down at Guest Services, and asked for someone to bring us a lounge chair. The guy asked if I had asked my cabin attendant. (I had already told him that "Stewart" refused to bring one. ((He still hasn't introduced himself, so we still don't know his name)). Then he said, well, if the cabin steward says no, it's no.

Bad answer.

May be time to speak to the Housekeeping Manager?!

We were in a D1 in January and loved the size of the balcony. Didn't ask the steward for a lounge chair and when I came back I wanted to kick myself because I had read of others who did ask and did receive one (maybe two??).

Unless you get a lounger, what's the good of that large balcony (and larger price you pay for a D1). Next time (on Allure), I'll go lower. I do love spending time in a lounge chair on the balcony.:)

Thanks so much for your live report, we are loving it...

it's a shame that the cabins are so cramped :(

A question from my wife if you don't mind.

She would like to leave our hair dryer home if possible

but she doesn't know if the hair dryer they furnish will

accept a standard sized diffuser...

Would you mind taking a picture of the hair dryer for her?

Thanks so much and we hope you have a wonderful cruise.

Low volume air. Must hold button. It sounds like your wife would be happier with her own.

Hi Merion Mom,

How awfully nice of you to post in real time "during" your cruise and be using up your internet minutes. Thank you!!

We are very close to booking Oasis of the Seas, I'm just nervous about the month to pick (Jan, Feb, April) since we don't like overly hot weather and the stateroom to pick.

What stateroom number are you in? I have motion sickness and trying to find the right one that will be more stable and as quite as possible. I'm a very light sleeper.

Any reply you can give, when you have the chance would be greatly appreciated.

Were you able to see any of the menus in the MDR? I've asked members if they have any copies.

Enjoy the rest of your cruise!

Any of those months is good for avoiding intense heat.

I will report on motion on this ship after the storm has passed!!!!!

:)

Bad answer.

I gave him "the look". You all know "the look". My ex calls it "the fisheye".

He picked up his phone, called Housekeeping, turned to me and said, "They will be bringing you a lounger this evening."

You gotta teach me this fish eye.

Carol - I saw pictures of the famous roast beef sandwich and the beef is very PINK.:eek: I like my meat cooked...like in brown not pink. Are you able to get the beef well done?

I saw only pink, but perhaps if you ask, they save a better-done one in the oven?

Also order the orange sherbet, which comes with a ladyfinger cookie, and you get an even better photo! (I have it; just didn't have quite enough "brass" to post it!)

When did you decide to be a wimp?;):p

Hi Merion Mom,

How awfully nice of you to post in real time "during" your cruise and be using up your internet minutes. Thank you!!

We are very close to booking Oasis of the Seas, I'm just nervous about the month to pick (Jan, Feb, April) since we don't like overly hot weather and the stateroom to pick.

What stateroom number are you in? I have motion sickness and trying to find the right one that will be more stable and as quite as possible. I'm a very light sleeper.

Any reply you can give, when you have the chance would be greatly appreciated.

Were you able to see any of the menus in the MDR? I've asked members if they have any copies.

Enjoy the rest of your cruise!

Absolutely standard RC MDR menus. Any ship will do.

Low volume air. Must hold button. It sounds like your wife would be happier with her own.
That's not too bad -- just like Freedom and Voyager class. I bring one of those "sock" diffusers with me. You can order from various websites like Folica.com or other web sites for shampoos, gels etc or your hair salon may be able to get it for you. My hair likes the Caribbean and looks better on ship than at home -- especially in the winter.

Carol,

Thanks for taking your time to do a live from Oasis thread. I am new to cruising and will be taking my first cruise on the Oasis in January.

I am reading where you are talking about the room being small. I am going with my parents that are elderly and we are in a D1, I believe. Originally, we had looked at getting a JS, but we decided against that. Now I am worried we should have gone with the JS. I have since contacted my TA about possibly getting a handicapped unit, as my father sometimes needs assistance with showering. I have been told all units are full and the ship is pretty full across the board. Is the shower large enough for someone to help another if need be? Or is it so small once he is in, he doesn't have to worry about falling as he will be sandwiched in the enclosure? lol The JS is showing a price increase since when we first started to look of $ 2500.00 more. I can't believe how much the prices have gone up for a January sailing.

Thanks for your time.

You NEED an accessible cabin. Pick another date, or get on a waiting list for a handicap cabin. Your parents will NOT be able to deal with a D cabin.

Try Allure. Its pricing seems to be lower.

Bon Voyage!

I'm a teacher. I made an excel spreadsheet. :D

Good to see you posting live, Carol! I agree about the D cabins - to me they seem even smaller than an SO on Monarch - even though they're 30-40sf larger, they're so poorly laid out that you must be bumping into each other every time you turn around.

Give Dirtgirl a kiss on the lips for me!:D

Archived