Just got back from my B2B on the Gem

tonkie

As title,got back yesterday from my first cruise and what a first cruise it was.

Wont put into words, but you are more than welcome to follow my picture story as I process my photos,so feel free to follow me on my flickr page here I will update when time allows but you are more than welcome to ask any questions you might have and will do my best to answer

Your pictures are beautiful! Thanks for making them available.

Did you purchase Euros on the ship? I read in one of the older Dailies that they are available and was wondering about the rate on the ship vs from ATMs.

Nan

Did you purchase Euros on the ship? I read in one of the older Dailies that they are available and was wondering about the rate on the ship vs from ATMs.

Nan

Sorry to jump in, but I heard that there was a $10 fee for each transaction.

Nan

Thanks Nan

We did not get any Euros on board and not too sure if you can,I think you only get $

The photos are wonderful....can't wait to visit there myself.

As far as Euros go..........I found the least expensive place was the currency exchange in Atlanta airport. I am sure every major US airport has one............and when I returned they exchanged my leftovers for no extra charge!!

Could you give a little information about how you arrived at the cruise terminal in Venice, what ports were easy to browse on your own, tendering experiences and which ports had any stores close by to buy water and soda at. Would like to get those items close by the ship is possible.

Great pictures! thank you

Could you give a little information about how you arrived at the cruise terminal in Venice, what ports were easy to browse on your own, tendering experiences and which ports had any stores close by to buy water and soda at. Would like to get those items close by the ship is possible.

Great pictures! thank you

Hi There

We were transported from Venice airport by coach to the port(part of our package)

Split-Tendered to port-easy browsing

Corfu-Supposed to be docked but we were tendered-bus waiting by to take you to old town, 1 euro-easy browsing

Santorini- Tendered to port-get off on as early as possible as you will be in a big queue for the cable car to the top of the Island,unless you walk or take a donkey up.

Mykonos- Tendered to port-easy browsing

Iraklion- Docked-we took an Excursion to the town, $40 each-dont think much around other wise

Venice-Water taxi to St.Marks Square-once there easy browsing

Dubrovnik-Tendered to port-easy browsing

Piraeus-Docked-not much here and did not like it but we did manage to get to Athens via bus and train but was not that easy.

Izmir-Docked-easy browsing but need to walk a little to see town.

Nafplion-Tendered-easy browsing

You will not need to buy your water as the tap and service water is fine to drink,we went on the behind the scene tour and they said that the drinking water is bottled quality.My wife is very fussy and she was more than happy with the water,as for sodas not too sure if you can take them on board but you can but a soda package for $50 a week and you can have unlimited amounts.

Hope that helps

Thanks so much for your information, it was very helpful! One more question, have read that passports are taken at some point and then given back? read that room stewards collected them, is this correct? Ok just one more ? have also read different remarks about only able to use kunas in Splt and could you use euros in Turkey? Thanks again, seems like we are getting close to sailing and never travelling "accross the pond before" I have little apprehensions that keep coming up. Looking forward to more pictures!!

Thanks so much for your information, it was very helpful! One more question, have read that passports are taken at some point and then given back? read that room stewards collected them, is this correct? Ok just one more ? have also read different remarks about only able to use kunas in Spilt and could you use euros in Turkey? Thanks again, seems like we are getting close to sailing and never travelling "accross the pond before" I have little apprehensions that keep coming up. Looking forward to more pictures!!

Your welcome

We are English and we were never asked to hand our passports over at any time,but also never heard of it being annoused that none European had to hand them over.

We had Kunas and used them in Split but I'm sure I saw someone use Euros in a bar and you will be ok with Euros in Turkey.

PS. more photos shortly:D

If anyone is interested here are the latest shots

Santorini

Beautiful pictures. We'll be leaving this Wed. Can't wait. We were a little worried about the time in Santorini, but after seeing your pictures, the sunset and night time we'll have there may be an advantage to being their just in the day. One question, did you have to wait very long for the tendor and if so what time did you actully get there. Thanks for all the info and pictures.

Beautiful pictures. We'll be leaving this Wed. Can't wait. We were a little worried about the time in Santorini, but after seeing your pictures, the sunset and night time we'll have there may be an advantage to being their just in the day. One question, did you have to wait very long for the tendor and if so what time did you actully get there. Thanks for all the info and pictures.

Thanks

The ticket desk opens at 9am till 11am and again at 1pm on the day of arrival at Santorini,but I would suggest you get in the queue at the early opening as then you should get a low number ticket,unlike us we forgot about the early opening and we ended up with tender #15 and it took an hour to get off by this time there was a massive queue for the cable car.

You could walk up or take the donkey but the way the donkeys are forced up I would not recommend it,if you choose to walk back down leave plenty time and have some sort of light as it is dimly lit and the donkeys dont stop for any one:eek:

But how ever you get up and down its worth it

Americans (and, I think, other non-EU citizens) do have to hand over their passports, but only on the leg that starts in Dubrovnik and ends in Nafplion. You hand them in either during a specified time in the Bliss lounge, or later, directly at reception. I forget what day it was, but it was after the Dubrovnik port. You get them back after the Turkey port. Again, either during a specified time in the Bliss lounge, or later, at reception. They give you a receipt for the passports.

Hi,

Loved your photos. Really top notch. Do you recall where the tender dropped you in Dubrovnik? We are on the Gem in October and in reading about Dubrovnik see there are 2 options as to where the cruise lines can disembark passengers. The "Old Port" and "Port Gruz" (the newer port). We're hoping its the Old Port as that is much more convenient for our plans in Dubrovnik. According to the Gem's itinerary we arrive in port at 1pm, so we are anxious to get on shore as quickly as possible. In October the sun sets about 7pm and we want to take advantage of the day light.

Bob

Hi,

Loved your photos. Really top notch. Do you recall where the tender dropped you in Dubrovnik? We are on the Gem in October and in reading about Dubrovnik see there are 2 options as to where the cruise lines can disembark passengers. The "Old Port" and "Port Gruz" (the newer port). We're hoping its the Old Port as that is much more convenient for our plans in Dubrovnik. According to the Gem's itinerary we arrive in port at 1pm, so we are anxious to get on shore as quickly as possible. In October the sun sets about 7pm and we want to take advantage of the day light.

Bob

Thanks Bob

Did not know there were 2 ports,but I'm sure it was the old port,looked old anyway:D

make sure you get to the ticket desk early to get a low tender ticket

Hi,

Bob

Not sure, but believe we tendered at the Old Port. It was on the South end of the city. The tendering was fairly fast (we generally got in line early for tender tickets).

Dubrovnik is a great port. You don't need to take an excursion. Have a guidebook and don't miss the monastery, museum near city hall and a walk around the walls (entrance on North end of city).

Hope you have better luck with the communist strikers in Greece on your next stop. We had to deal with a half day strike at the Acropolis. It was a zoo getting to the Acropolis with all the people waiting. Then at Naphilon, our Mycene excursion was cancelled due to a strike. Still we had fun on both stops.

Archived