Pergamum, Turkey Shore excursion information needed.

We will be on Costa's Pacificia for an 11 day cruise that begins on November, 28. We have been to Ephsus and Mary's House, and are thinking about taking the ship's excursion to Pergamum. Have any of you ever visited Pergamum? We thank you for any information.

I visited Pergamum last year when I stayed in Kusadasi for several days. If you are a fan of ruins, you will greatly enjoy the site. The amphitheatre is located breathtakingly on top of a hill. The site is much more in ruins than Ephesus, although some restoration work on the agora (also very scenic) has been done and some columns are standing, particularly those of the Temple of Trajan. The Asclepius sanctuary is also very interesting.

Of course, the wonderful altar of Pergamum is in the Pergamum museum in Berlin........which is rather sad. Like the Elgin marbles, I feel it's one of those things that should be near its actual site. :(

In addition to Pergamum, I can also highly recommend another day tour from Kusadasi which goes to Priene, Miletus, and Didyma. In fact, I think I enjoyed that one even more.

I visited Pergamum last year when I stayed in Kusadasi for several days. If you are a fan of ruins, you will greatly enjoy the site. The amphitheatre is located breathtakingly on top of a hill. The site is much more in ruins than Ephesus, although some restoration work on the agora (also very scenic) has been done and some columns are standing, particularly those of the Temple of Trajan. The Asclepius sanctuary is also very interesting.

Of course, the wonderful altar of Pergamum is in the Pergamum museum in Berlin........which is rather sad. Like the Elgin marbles, I feel it's one of those things that should be near its actual site. :(

In addition to Pergamum, I can also highly recommend another day tour from Kusadasi which goes to Priene, Miletus, and Didyma. In fact, I think I enjoyed that one even more.

Thank you for the information. I have enjoyed reading your messages on many threads. We were in Izmir two years ago and loved it. I plan on researching the area more before we make a discission. We will sail on Costa' Pacifica November 28th. I would really like to find something nearer the port. I will let you know what we decide.:D

• 11 months later...

Our cruise will be stopping in Dikili in early November and the following ship excursions are offered however Cunard's tour age minimum for children is 3 and one of our kids is younger so we are booking all private tours. From what I've read Pergamum is the main attraction for this port.

Pergamum & Asclepion

This unmissable tour visits Pergamum, a stunning historic site, and the Asclepion, famous as a healing centre.

Description: The ruins of the ancient city of Pergamum consist of various historical sites including the Acropolis that stands 1,300 feet above the bustling town of Bergama. The buildings of the Acropolis were designed to be seen from below and are an impressive sight. The most famous buildings of Pergamum include The Library, which housed one of the most impressive collections known in antiquity and the great Altar of Zeus with its 350-foot-long frieze of sculptures depicting the battles of the Gods and the Titans. Highlights also include the Sanctuary of Athena, the Temple of Dionysus and the restored Temple of Trajan. The most stunning ruin is The Theatre, which housed 10,000 spectators and is the most steeply terraced theatre in the world. The Asclepion is one of the 3 most famous sanctuaries of Asclepios, the God of Healing. Shaded by pine trees, it was an ideal spot for pilgrims to enjoy the medicinal and spiritual benefits of the spa. Walk the Sacred Way to see the Sacred Well and the Serpent Altar – the symbol of modern day medicine.

Cleopatra's Hot Springs

Visit the town of Bademli before relaxing at the hot springs that, as legend has it, gave Cleopatra her youthful beauty.

Description: Your scenic drive will take you through the countryside to the town of Bademli, one of the largest villages in the province of Izmir. Explore the village on your own with its typical stone houses before meeting at the village square for a well deserved ‘Koruk refreshment’.

Continue to Killik Bay to view the bay which was used as a port by the Roman Navy in ancient times. Experience the Hot Springs in Soganci where the thermal waters offer healing for its visitors as well as being recommended for many treatments for well-being. The temperature of the water is around 40°C and contains sodium bicarbonate as well as sulphate. Legend has it that Cleopatra became more beautiful when she bathed in the thermal bath, while she visited Pergamon. At your last stop, Bademli Village, Luncheon will be served.

Red Basilica and Pergamum Museum

Visit the magnificent Red Basilica and Pergamum Museum, the perfect introduction to one of Turkey’s cultural centres.

Description: The temple of Red Basilica, locally known as Kizil Avlu, was said to have been dedicated to Serapis, the Egyptian God of the Underworld. It stands between the ancient city and the centre of modern Bergama with the lower half of the building clad with marble slabs; the upper part in red brick walls from which the building takes its popular name. The entrance houses a huge block of marble that exemplifies the scale of the building and is said to weigh 35 tons. The interior was divided into three aisles by two rows of columns, the central aisle ended in a semi-circular apse, under which was a crypt. The Basilica was destroyed by the Arabs in the 8th century, after which a smaller church was built in the ruins. At the Pergamum Architectural Museum, you will find a substantial collection of artefacts with fine displays of sculptures from Pergamum. Items on display were found during excavations, including Greek and Roman statues and a statue of the Goddess of Victory bearing a cornucopia.

I have a few questions:

1 - Can anyone recommend private tour companies that go to Pergamum from the port?

2 - How long is the drive to the Pergamum?

3 - Is Ascelpion in the same complex as Pergamum?

4 - Is the Red Basilica worth a visit?

5 - My father is travelling with us an enjoy thermal springs, has anyone done the thermal springs in this port?

Archived