Victory out of Dominica

VictoryLover2

Why wait until now.... I just looked... crude oil is at $73.58. Why change the itinerary at $73.58 a barrel and say it is due to the cost of fuel.... 2 years ago we were at $140.00 plus. I agree.... impose the $9.00 per person per day fees... the ones that are posted all over everything you receive from CCL..... Keep Dominica!!!!!

It is what it is ... I'm still going and going to love every moment of my cruise. My hubs is the one that wanted port intensive, so I'm kind of happy that I have a sea day now ... although I would have liked to see Dominica after hearing about it.

I just spoke with a Carnival rep who had no idea of the Dominica removal. Once he was informed, he said there was no option for any discount but offered the option of either switching cruises or cancelling completely without penalty for the next 3 days.

Just a heads up.

We are booked for March 13,2011 and recieved an e-mail from Carnival saying Dominica is out. When I go in to check my cruise it shows that day as a "Fun Day At Sea".

Since they wont be paying port fees I wonder if I'm going to get an on board credit?

I wonder whats the real reason for dropping them.

The tour guides in Dominica don't believe Carnival's reason, either. They believe (like many of us here do) that it is so Carnival can make money. Ppl didn't use Carnival's tour guides, so Carnival didn't like that. (Carnival also makes more money with ppl spending on the ship on a sea day, of course!)

The tour guides RELY on Victory's weekly, year-round visit, as it is the main ship that goes there. Without it, their tour vehicles could be reposessed by the bank for non-payment. Their kids won't be able to go to school. They depend on the money from Victory's visitors for their survival!

St. Lucia is more south than Dominica and Barbados is more south and east than Dominica, so why Dominica?

They are going to keep talking with Carnival to try to get them to change their minds, as they really need the ship to keep going there.

These are paraphrased statements from a tour guide in Dominica.

Everybody, please slam Carnival with requests to bring back Dominica for the Victory!!! And please pray for/keep in mind the Dominica tour guides and others who depend on the tourism of the Victory passengers.

The tour guides in Dominica don't believe Carnival's reason, either. They believe (like many of us here do) that it is so Carnival can make money. Ppl didn't use Carnival's tour guides, so Carnival didn't like that. (Carnival also makes more money with ppl spending on the ship on a sea day, of course!)

Its really a game of controlling the shore excursions, and on Dominica I have access to some of the best shore excursions because they aren't tied to Carnival. We had smaller groups, and more adventurous tours. (plus the island was small and had no traffic problems... so Carnival couldn't scare people into taking their tours for fear of missing the ship)

On Grenada in compassion the cruise ship controlled all the river rafting tours. I felt the tours were lame and over crowded like most ship tours. Great for beginners but far short of what a private tour group could offer.

It would be interesting to make a list of Islands and see which one's Carnival has monopolized the shore excursions compared to islands where more people take private tours.... and Carnival makes less money?

I would think St Thomas is pretty independent when it comes to people doing their own thing (most go shopping at the mall).... where-as I went to Bonaire and the cruise lines had purchased all the ferry boats so you had to book with them to get to the Marine Sanctuary.

On my two cruises, I didn't take a single cruiseline excursion (Royal Caribbean and Carnival) and am not going to on my upcoming cruise, either. The third-party excursions are just better, not to mention usually cheaper. I do cruise with a group, so that's another reason we do third-party excursions, but even if we didn't, we wouldn't do a cruiseline excursion. The only time I would consider a cruiseline excursion would be for something that has a good potential of getting you back just on time or a little late, like in Cozumel there was an excursion to some ruins that you had to take a ferry to.

The third-party excursions are just better, not to mention usually cheaper.

Amen to that! I learned the hard way on my first cruise not to do cruise line excursions. I guess most first time cruisers do not have the experience to know differently. I know I didn't.

Don't book airfare with the cruise lines either!

Amen to that! I learned the hard way on my first cruise not to do cruise line excursions. I guess most first time cruisers do not have the experience to know differently. I know I didn't.

Don't book airfare with the cruise lines either!

I know some ppl are scared of being left behind by the ship, so they stick with cruiseline excursions for that reason.

Yeah, I'd never book air with the cruiseline.

OK - So I just read through 10 pages of comments on this Thread about the Dominica day being replaced with a Sea Day on Victory Itineraries. Most everything I've read seems to be speculation about CCL's reasons behind the change. The Fuel Savings seems to have come from the reports by the Gov't officials in Dominica as reported in the Caribbean News Sources... Wanting more control over Shore Excursions seems to have come from folks speculating on the reasons right here on this thread... Safety fears-sounds like this came from CCL themselves per folks on this thread, but nothing was mentioned about that in my letter.

I guess my point is...you have a choice! "It Is What It Is". If you really want Dominica then cancel your cruise and go on a different one. Maybe that will open up some nice discounts for the rest of us who really just want a nice Caribbean vacation in the middle of the winter!!!

Well there's only 1 thing most businesses understand. They also understand that few customers will do that. No matter how badly the paying customer is treated, they will still be a paying customer.

markstudy has provided what I consider to be the actual reason. It's way too easy on Dominica to arrange for a more economical independant tour. CCL gets no handling fees from those. If it was truely fuel costs, then why was CCL having discussion with the Tourism Minister of Dominica?

We sailed on the Victory last July and one of the reasons we chose it was because of its busy port-a-day intinerary. It was wonderful to visit so many beautiful and exotic tropical islands all in one week--it was almost as good as booking a BTB! I think it is really sad that Carnival is dropping Dominica. It truly is a beautiful island full of unspoiled, natural beauty and it was one of our favourties islands visited on our Carnival Victory cruise. But most of all, I really feel bad for all the tour operators that rely on the Victory for business. This will really hurt them, especially during the summer months when the Victory is often the only ship in port! I hope that Carnival will reconsider and not just look at how they can make a profit but also realize how this decision will affect the choice of future cruisers as well as the economy of Dominica.

OK - So I just read through 10 pages of comments on this Thread about the Dominica day being replaced with a Sea Day on Victory Itineraries. Most everything I've read seems to be speculation about CCL's reasons behind the change. The Fuel Savings seems to have come from the reports by the Gov't officials in Dominica as reported in the Caribbean News Sources... Wanting more control over Shore Excursions seems to have come from folks speculating on the reasons right here on this thread... Safety fears-sounds like this came from CCL themselves per folks on this thread, but nothing was mentioned about that in my letter.

I guess my point is...you have a choice! "It Is What It Is". If you really want Dominica then cancel your cruise and go on a different one. Maybe that will open up some nice discounts for the rest of us who really just want a nice Caribbean vacation in the middle of the winter!!!

And you had a choice not to read through those 10 pages," it is what is", we like talking about it.

We choose the Victory pass Jan. sailing because of the # of ports, and yes we end up paying more compare to Princess. I guess I better start booking princess soon for next year sailing before the demand goes up. Competitively speaking, carnival just shoot them self in the foot.

We choose the Victory pass Jan. sailing because of the # of ports, and yes we end up paying more compare to Princess. I guess I better start booking princess soon for next year sailing before the demand goes up. Competitively speaking, carnival just shoot them self in the foot.

Carnival owns Princess. :)

Carnival owns Princess. :)

Yes but at a very least I objecting with my wallet, although the money still goes to the same company but at least not for the same diminished product.

;)

so if Carrib. princess booking is up and Victory is down, they the suit will know that they make a mistake....i hope :)

Now THIS is interesting...

Port of Spain, Trinidad is now listed as an embarkation port on Carnival.com

(although if you select it, 0 cruises turn up). ===> Exactly!

Maybe Barbados is out as the mid-week stop and Port of Spain is in?

:D THAT has to be a big ole error. It'll never happen! :D.

Someone screwed up. Barbados is the Southern port where folks can join the cruise

I have been so wrapped up with our upcoming Epic cruise I hadn't seen any of this. We are booked over Valentine's week 2011 on Victory. We were married through Carnival Weddings in July 2009 while cruising on Victory. Besides our fabulous wedding having 7 islands in 7 days was the best part! We had a great time the day in Dominica. the weather was horrible but our guide never made it an issue. They just kept us busy until the river went down after cresting. We had an awesome time. Although I was scared senseless at times over the speed I was traveling down the river and I have a scar on my knee. Thats life but I really hate to see them take this island away. Our waiter was from Dominica. Not only did he provide awesome service but he was full of great facts about his island and he was supporting his family by working on this Carnival ship. He visited them every week. As if the economy in Dominica wasn't bad enough now Big Business makes it even worse. We had no trouble at all with any of the people there or the vendors. A simple no thank you worked every time, unlike some of the other places we've been. I wish they would change their mind on this one. I know I for one won't be having and Drink Specials of the Day on our "Fun Day at Sea"...

Archived