ROLL CALL - Silver Cloud "Istanbul to Venice" 10/03/10

canyonman

We are on this voyage - 8 Aussies.....

I’m glad someone is on board with us since we have had no response. I was thinking we would be all by ourselves enjoying the fine wine and food. “LOL”. We will be arriving in Istanbul on Oct 1st staying at the Four Seasons.

So you’re 8 Aussie, sounds like it going to be a fun trip. We are from California and are just two, but know how to enjoy and have a good time. I’ve seen you have been to Venice before, where did you stay and did you enjoy it? Again thanks for the reply, hope we can meet and have a cheer on our cruise.

Stay well

Canyonman

Canyonman

The Four seasons Istanbul sounds great. We were advised by a few friends to stay in the "Old Town" so we are staying at the Sarikonak, I got this recommendation from Terry from Ohio - thanks Terry. In Venice previously we stayed at the Sofitel, I would not recommend it. The reason for this choice was that we drove from Milan to Venice, it was convenient to drop our car off and we could walk to the Sofitel with luggage, and also walk to catch vaparato to board the ship. When we disembark in Venice this tiime, four of us are driving to Lake Como and spending 2 nights at Villa d'este before returning to Sydney.

• 3 weeks later...
Canyonman. The Four seasons Istanbul sounds great. We were advised by a few friends to stay in the "Old Town" so we are staying at the Sarikonak, I got this recommendation from Terry from Ohio - thanks Terry. In Venice previously we stayed at the Sofitel, I would not recommend it. The reason for this choice was that we drove from Milan to Venice, it was convenient to drop our car off and we could walk to the Sofitel with luggage, and also walk to catch vaparato to board the ship. When we disembark in Venice this tiime, four of us are driving to Lake Como and spending 2 nights at Villa d'este before returning to Sydney.

Good luck on your upcoming cruise. You'll love the Silver Cloud!!! Here are a few sample pictures on this great ship with a wonderful crew, food and fellow passengers. And Istanbul is spectacular, etc. Below are few sample visuals from Istanbul. Much to see and enjoy there, including in the older, historic areas.

THANKS for the thanks on your hotel! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For lots of interesting details, great visuals, etc., from our July 1-16 Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. Don’t be shy and feel free to ask any questions of interest.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Night dining from a rooftop table is such fun in Istanbul and can provide great views of nearby mosques. We dined twice in the Akbiyik Caddesi, pedestrian street area in the Sultanahmet:

1A-Istbul-NightDining.jpg

For Istanbul’s Blue Mosque, here is a longer, overall shot of its carpets where people still pray on a daily basis:

IstBlMosWide.jpg

Outside of new mid 1800’s Palace used by Sultans in Istanbul:

1A-Istbul-NewPalaceOutside.jpg

The weather was wonderfully upper 60’s for breakfast on our first sea day sailing to Norway. Here was our dining view with another cruise ship sailing south from fjord country.:

CPHBreakfastViews.jpg

For our final dining main course, after the strawberry sorbet serving, I had in the main dining room, this Angus beef that was called “Entrecote Rossini”. It was served with fois gras, a crispy potato galette and truffled jus. There were also main course options of sautéed sea scallop and shrimps, slow-cooked pigeon “Souvaroff” or summer lasagna without meat in it. There would be a Relais & Chateaux chef-suggested way to pick a selection for these three courses based on their “collection” of menu items for Silversea. Wellness and vegetarian options were noted on the menu. You could do menu special orders with a day’s advance notice to the kitchen. We did this as a group with a special Thai dinner that evening. If you had special diet needs, the kitchen should be advised in advance and they adjust well.:

CloudDinnerMainCourse.jpg

In the Panorama Lounge late in the one of the afternoons, they had a chocolate special “event” with lots and lots of desserts and treats all from that magic item. Plus, there was nice piano music while you enjoyed.:

CloudChocBarPiano.jpg

Terry,

We are too looking forward to another cruise on Silverseas. Last year we where on the Silver Whisper and after reading your July 1-16 Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, we can't wait to meet her. Thanks for the photo's.

Stay well

Terry,

We are too looking forward to another cruise on Silverseas. Last year we where on the Silver Whisper and after reading your July 1-16 Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, we can't wait to meet her. Thanks for the photo's.

Stay well

THANKS for the nice comments! If there are any visuals of special interest, let me know before you depart. Will be happy to post, if I have them available. Enjoy your exciting adventure! Terry in Ohio

For lots of interesting details, great visuals, etc., from our July 1-16 Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. Don’t be shy and feel free to ask any questions of interest.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Archived