Is there any downside to the on board booking perk?

I was on the Monarch this past weekend and was pondering signing up for a cruise on the Freedom, but wasn't 100% sure since I didn't really want to put down 500$ right now. That's when I saw the information sheet in my stateroom. All deposits reduced to $100pp. No further payment needed until final payment date. Refundable. And if you don't know when you want to cruise again, you can even do a "Why not decide later" option and get a voucher (that doesn't expire) to use on any cruise you want in the future and still get the on board booking bonus.

I mean really the only thing I see is you potentially loaning Royal Caribbean $200 if you decided to get a refund... but does anyone else see any reason why you wouldn't take advantage of this program if you are pretty sure you're going on a cruise again in the future? Maybe I'm overlooking something...

One of the only downsides if you are Diamond or Higher C&A and book a balcony you have to choose between the OBC or the Balcony discount...if you aren't booking a balcony then it's a very good deal...you can also use a C&A coupon if one becomes available for your sailing...

Don't you also get OBC with this program?

Yep, OBC and reduced deposit, and you don't even have to select your cruise right then. I simply can't fathom why any C&A member wouldn't take advantage of it. That's why I was asking, to see if anyone has run into any snafus. I thought I did yesterday because I got the paperwork from RCI and it was stating that I needed to make a payment of $500 immediately. :eek: But all was well after a quick call to the support line. Their system just hasn't been updated to reflect that the reduced deposit is sufficient until final payment.

Like others have said, it looks to be a complete win-win. RCI gets repeat business and more people tied into their C&A program, and we get OBC and cheap deposits. I gotta say Bravo!

It doesn't work for me, because I can't plan vacations that far in advance. I've booked every cruise close to or after final payment was due, as that's when I could find airfare deals and secure vacation days.

If I could plan stuff 6+ months out, I'd go for it--but I'm more likely to plan something 6 weeks out.

One of the only downsides if you are Diamond or Higher C&A and book a balcony you have to choose between the OBC or the Balcony discount...if you aren't booking a balcony then it's a very good deal...you can also use a C&A coupon if one becomes available for your sailing...

I have a question here also. If you book a specific cruise onboard, then a C&A coupon becomes available, can you apply it later? Or does there have to be a coupon available when you book it? I am sailing in 3 weeks and want to try to figure this out before we go. Definitely want to book again while onboard!! I only wish I would have known about this last year, lol!!!!

I have a question here also. If you book a specific cruise onboard, then a C&A coupon becomes available, can you apply it later? Or does there have to be a coupon available when you book it? I am sailing in 3 weeks and want to try to figure this out before we go. Definitely want to book again while onboard!! I only wish I would have known about this last year, lol!!!!

You can apply the coupon anytime up to final payment I believe...I know I have booked cruises where the was no coupon & then a couple months later one became available..and I used the coupon..

They told me to fax the certificate to RCI (I'm actually about to do that now), and I also believe you can apply a certificate when you make a payment, so those are two options. :D

I'm pretty sure they have changed this (again) and now you can book onboard, get the obc and reduced deposit AND if you book a balcony you can use your P/D/D+ discount OR if there is a savings certificate you can use that with the onboard bonus.

I'm glad you can at least combine the two again.

We always cruise in September so back in the good ole days I used to use a nextcruise certificate, balcony discount and the savings certificate for one cruise. At least they will receive my business onboard again:)

It doesn't work for me, because I can't plan vacations that far in advance. I've booked every cruise close to or after final payment was due, as that's when I could find airfare deals and secure vacation days.

If I could plan stuff 6+ months out, I'd go for it--but I'm more likely to plan something 6 weeks out.

You can do the voucher to decide on a cruise date in the future. You'll still get OBC and you don't have to decide on a sailing right then. :D

Yep, OBC and reduced deposit, and you don't even have to select your cruise right then.

I like the fact that the OBC can apply to up to 2 other parties besides yours. So for a 7 day cruise, that's a potential of $300 in OBC for a $100 deposit.

I think you're misunderstanding the program. There is no need to book a specific date, ship or itinerary. You can apply your deposit to any cruise in the future.

I like the fact that the OBC can apply to up to 2 other parties besides yours. So for a 7 day cruise, that's a potential of $300 in OBC for a $100 deposit.

How's that? You put down $100 for your cruise, and then just give them reservation numbers for two other parties, and they'll also get $100 each?

Only downside of the 'any time' future cruise, is the deposit is non refundable. So you have to use it or lose it. But, good excuse to book a cruise.;)

I noticed that looking up some information... I sent an email to verify but am I correct then in saying that if you know the date you want to book, it's still refundable, but if you use the NextCruise vouchers then it's not?

You can get both the OBC and the balcony discount again. Or you can do OBC and coupon. You can't do OBC, balcony discount and coupon though.

I think you're misunderstanding the program. There is no need to book a specific date, ship or itinerary. You can apply your deposit to any cruise in the future.

But you have to apply it before final payment is due, as best as I understood from talking to the reps onboard...and this upcoming cruise is the first one I've ever booked before final payment was due. Generally you have to be paid up 2+ months in advance. I'm usually not looking for itineraries until a 4-6 weeks out.

The other thing is, the flexibility of being able to choose any line at any time is worth more than $100 to me. I'm not loyal to any cruiseline, I pick the itinerary and price that is the best for what I want. I may never sail Royal again if I don't see an interesting enough itinerary for me at a point cheaper than the other lines. The ship is faaaaaar secondary to the ports for me.

I think for 90% of returning cruisers, it's probably a good idea. Just doesn't make sense for me though!

The downside for us is you lose out on the price drops. After final payment, there are substantial price drops on many categories of cabins including senior rates and for new bookings only rates.

If you booked on board and then pay in full at final payment, that is it. When the price of your cabin drops $1,220 for the senior rate (as happened to us in July) you don't get the price drop or any OBC for the drop anymore.

We have had substantial price drops on every cruise since becoming eligible for the senior rate. A hundred dollars in OBC and even the balcony discounts don't seem worth it in comparison to the senior rates or for new bookings only rates that inevitably happen after final payment. In the past two years we have received over $5,000 in discounted prices or OBC after final payment. A few hundred dollars in OBC can't quite compare to that, at least for me.

Also, my experiences with Royal Caribbean, especially in the last couple years has led me to be very distrustful of their business practices and their

willingness to change the rules in the middle of the game. I am no longer willing to give them my money out far in advance no matter what carrot is dangling from their stick. They always seem to move the stick further away.

Love RC's ships and crews but do not love the manner in which they do business. JMO, of course.

I was on the MN with William(the OP) and booked a couple of cruises...got the OBC and the DP discount......

Only downside of the 'any time' future cruise, is the deposit is non refundable. So you have to use it or lose it. But, good excuse to book a cruise.;)

No,you dont...........you cant just canx the anytime cruise for that $100pp but if you turn it into a booking with a specific date,you can canx(before final payment) and get all your money back.........

Its all good,William.......:D:D

Archived