Is there any downside to the on board booking perk?

Downside for me is you lose your shareholder credit which is usually much larger than the obc from the cruise line. Especially on longer cruises which I usually book.

If I purchase a next cruise certificate on my cruise (girl's cruise) I will have to pay 100 for myself, 100 for my husband and 100 for my daughter? So 300 total. Or do I just pay 100 for the certificate and then when I book the cruise I pay the other 200 for my daughter and husband? This is all making my head spin. Also I will then get a 100 dollar OBC for a 7 day cruise? Is there a balcony discount too for Platinum in addition to all of this?

I was on the MN with William(the OP) and booked a couple of cruises...got the OBC and the DP discount......

.:D:D

See..I'm losing my mind... don't know why I was thinking you still had to choose between OBC & Balcony discount...guess it's cause I haven't booked any cruises since the new policy...

Momtoccc...the platinum disc. for 7 nts is $100

What is the balcony discount for 7 night cruise for platinum? I can't seem to find this info on RCCL web site. Thanks.

The Platinum Balcony/Suite Discount is a discount off of the price of the cruise. For a seven night cruise that is booked more than six months prior to sailing the current amount of the Platinum Balcony/Suite Discount is $100 off of the price of the stateroom.

The Platinum Balcony/Suite Discount is a discount off of the price of the cruise. For a seven night cruise that is booked more than six months prior to sailing the current amount of the Platinum Balcony/Suite Discount is $100 off of the price of the stateroom.

and $75 for less than 6 months out..

[

The downside for us is you lose out on the price drops. After final payment, there are substantial price drops on many categories of cabins including senior rates and for new bookings only rates.

If you booked on board and then pay in full at final payment, that is it. When the price of your cabin drops $1,220 for the senior rate (as happened to us in July) you don't get the price drop or any OBC for the drop anymore.

We have had substantial price drops on every cruise since becoming eligible for the senior rate. A hundred dollars in OBC and even the balcony discounts don't seem worth it in comparison to the senior rates or for new bookings only rates that inevitably happen after final payment. In the past two years we have received over $5,000 in discounted prices or OBC after final payment. A few hundred dollars in OBC can't quite compare to that, at least for me.

Does that mean you only book cruises after final payment? Whether you book a future cruise while onboard or book it another time, any cruise booked before the final payment date is ineligible for price drops after final payment.

[

Does that mean you only book cruises after final payment? Whether you book a future cruise while onboard or book it another time, any cruise booked before the final payment date is ineligible for price drops after final payment.

Essentially, going forward yes. Every cruise we have been on in the last 2 years has had a multitude of cabins open up after final payment and then the steep discounts started to appear. Once RC decided to no longer honor price drops after final payment they took away any incentive for me to book early. We are in deflationary times for non-essential things like cruises. In a better economic climate it may again make sense to book before final payment but not in this economic climate. JMO, of course.

Essentially, going forward yes. Every cruise we have been on in the last 2 years has had a multitude of cabins open up after final payment and then the steep discounts started to appear. Once RC decided to no longer honor price drops after final payment they took away any incentive for me to book early. We are in deflationary times for non-essential things like cruises. In a better economic climate it may again make sense to book before final payment but not in this economic climate. JMO, of course.

Just spoke with Sierra at Crown and Anchor. The NextCruise certificates can be applied as late as necessary. So you can sign up well within final payment, you'll have 200$ (assuming two people at 100$pp deposit) applied to the due amount, with the rest due immediately since it's past final payment, but there is no problem with using the NextCruise certificates even three days before a cruise departs and you'll still get your OBC. So there's still no downside there!

One of the only downsides if you are Diamond or Higher C&A and book a balcony you have to choose between the OBC or the Balcony discount...if you aren't booking a balcony then it's a very good deal...you can also use a C&A coupon if one becomes available for your sailing...

Off Topic: CUTE kitten in your avatar picture. Okay back to booking onboard :)

If I purchase a next cruise certificate on my cruise (girl's cruise) I will have to pay 100 for myself, 100 for my husband and 100 for my daughter? So 300 total. Or do I just pay 100 for the certificate and then when I book the cruise I pay the other 200 for my daughter and husband? This is all making my head spin. Also I will then get a 100 dollar OBC for a 7 day cruise? Is there a balcony discount too for Platinum in addition to all of this?
Pay $100 for each cruise you plan to take:

$100 to buy one Next Cruise Credit for your girls' cruise (put it in your name) . . . this'll be one $100 deposit paid and will get you $100 OBC on a one-week cruise

$100 to buy one Next Cruise Credit for family cruise (put it in your husband's name) . . . this'll be one $100 deposit paid and will get you $100 OBC on a one-week cruise

Never use two Next Cruise Credits for people in the same cabin -- you can only get one OBC, so there's no benefit in tying up more than one $100 per cruise.

There IS a downside for a Next Cruise: If you change your date or your ship, you'll lose your OBC (though your deposit will transfer.

Pay $100 for each cruise you plan to take:

$100 to buy one Next Cruise Credit for your girls' cruise (put it in your name) . . . this'll be one $100 deposit paid and will get you $100 OBC on a one-week cruise

$100 to buy one Next Cruise Credit for family cruise (put it in your husband's name) . . . this'll be one $100 deposit paid and will get you $100 OBC on a one-week cruise

Never use two Next Cruise Credits for people in the same cabin -- you can only get one OBC, so there's no benefit in tying up more than one $100 per cruise.

There IS a downside for a Next Cruise: If you change your date or your ship, you'll lose your OBC (though your deposit will transfer.

I don't think you lose OBC if you keep the same booking number.

Yeah, you do. I was booked on Freedom, and LIberty offered an incredible balcony sale. I switched, keeping the same booking number and the same week. I lost my OBC. I complained to customer service, tried the past-customer angle, the same booking number angle, the same week angle . . . but it was like talking to a brick wall.

The move was still in my best interest: I saved something like $500/person x 6 people, and I lost $100 total.

On the other hand, if I'd stayed on Freedom (same week) but just switched cabins, I would've kept the OBC.

In my experience if you book a special rate (say a Tuesday Special) that is strictly for new bookings only you cannot use the next cruise because it is not a NEW Booking. If you have a Next Cruise Booking number it can never be a NEW Booking as it already exists. But in my experience, the last minute sale rates can save you literally hundreds, or even more than $1,000 per cabin compared to receiving $100 OBC per cabin? Sorry no comparison.

Just spoke with Sierra at Crown and Anchor. The NextCruise certificates can be applied as late as necessary. So you can sign up well within final payment, you'll have 200$ (assuming two people at 100$pp deposit) applied to the due amount, with the rest due immediately since it's past final payment, but there is no problem with using the NextCruise certificates even three days before a cruise departs and you'll still get your OBC. So there's still no downside there!

Well if you are booking last minute at regular rates they will give you the OBC for your next cruise as those rates are available anytime. I am talking about booking after final payment when the discounted rates start coming into play that are for NEW Bookings only. The Next Cruise Booking is not a new booking it already exists. But I will take the discounted rate every time over $100 OBC. So for me to give RC my money upfront for something I won't use because I will be booking at the discounted rates wouldn't make sense. So I keep my money and am free to book whenever.

Royal Caribbean has a reason to entice people to book on board in exchange for a little OBC. They want you to book and make final payment before they slash the rates 2-8 weeks out. They are in business to turn a profit.

Last cruise I remember taking advantage of this, but I was not sure whether my wife or I would go (she sometimes takes a short cruise with her girlfriends) so we just signed her up. I think the deposit was half of the regular deposit. I may be wrong because it happened a year ago, but I thought that the deposit was normally $200 for 2 people but only $100 if you only committed one person. We easily added myself and our two kids later on when we found a cruise we wanted.

Last cruise I remember taking advantage of this, but I was not sure whether my wife or I would go (she sometimes takes a short cruise with her girlfriends) so we just signed her up. I think the deposit was half of the regular deposit. I may be wrong because it happened a year ago, but I thought that the deposit was normally $200 for 2 people but only $100 if you only committed one person. We easily added myself and our two kids later on when we found a cruise we wanted.

Thats what I always do...........just book it in my name and add my husband or friend later........

What if you want 2 cabins on your next cruise? DH and I are cruising in October, but plan to take DDs (18 and 14) next May. Should DH and I each by a next cruise certificate? How much of a deposit would be required to put down at that point?

What if you want 2 cabins on your next cruise? DH and I are cruising in October, but plan to take DDs (18 and 14) next May. Should DH and I each by a next cruise certificate? How much of a deposit would be required to put down at that point?

If you want,you can always buy a Why Not decide later certificate(formerly NC)........$100pp and when you do,you will get 2 friends and family certificate......they have up to 30 days after you book your cruise,to book theirs and get the OBC too..............

If you book a specific cruise on board,you don't get the friends certificate..

If you want,you can always buy a Why Not decide later certificate(formerly NC)........$100pp and when you do,you will get 2 friends and family certificate......they have up to 30 days after you book your cruise,to book theirs and get the OBC too..............

If you book a specific cruise on board,you don't get the friends certificate..

Thanks, that sounds like a good option. :)

Have not found a downside to it yet. We've done this the last few years. The smaller deposit doesn't relaly matter to me........one way or the other you pay the same amount. What DOES matter is that I actually get a $100 OBC (with a Promenade room). Can't go wrong.

The downside for us is you lose out on the price drops. After final payment, there are substantial price drops on many categories of cabins including senior rates and for new bookings only rates.

If you booked on board and then pay in full at final payment, that is it. When the price of your cabin drops $1,220 for the senior rate (as happened to us in July) you don't get the price drop or any OBC for the drop anymore.

We have had substantial price drops on every cruise since becoming eligible for the senior rate. A hundred dollars in OBC and even the balcony discounts don't seem worth it in comparison to the senior rates or for new bookings only rates that inevitably happen after final payment. In the past two years we have received over $5,000 in discounted prices or OBC after final payment. A few hundred dollars in OBC can't quite compare to that, at least for me.

Also, my experiences with Royal Caribbean, especially in the last couple years has led me to be very distrustful of their business practices and their

willingness to change the rules in the middle of the game. I am no longer willing to give them my money out far in advance no matter what carrot is dangling from their stick. They always seem to move the stick further away.

Love RC's ships and crews but do not love the manner in which they do business. JMO, of course.

This is only true if you book a specific cruise...doesn't apply to NextCruise.

Archived