Taxi to Blue Grotto...Bus for the Return?

Has anyone done this?

We'll be in port starting at 8AM, and I think the boat ride around the Blue Grotto is something my son might enjoy (he's two). I read somewhere on these boards that if we take the bus to Zurrieq that the boat excursions will likely be in line ahead of us, but that if we took a taxi straight from the pier that we might beat the excursions. (Is this information true??)

Anyway, if we took a taxi there, what is the bus we would catch to get back to Valetta? I'm looking at the bus schedules (http://www.atp.com.mt/atp/servlet/ControllerServlet?action=listSummerBusRoutes), but which route number is the most efficient back to Valetta?

One last thing...is this side trip to the Blue Grotto (and back) feasible in about 4 hours? My son still naps in the early afternoon, and it would be wonderful to be back on the ship in time. And...about how much is the taxi from Valetta to Zurrieq?

Thanks!

Any bus from the Blue Grotto should take you to Valletta. Do, however, confirm before you get on.

Have a look at www.maltabybus.com it's very user friendly.

I don't know how suitable the Blue Grotto is for a two year old. It can get very hectic and the boats are very small. I don't know how much he would appreciate it.

If you think he would enjoy a boat ride, you could go to Sliema and get a Harbour Cruise (25 min by bus from Valletta) One of the companies is Captain Morgan. Or else there are water taxi's in the Grand Harbour

http://www.maltesewatertaxis.com/ www.yellowfunwatersports.com

He would also enjoy Popeye Village but it is rather far away and you would be rushed for time.

Archived