moton sickness tips

Txpeacekeeper

Going on first cruise in 2 weeks, anybody have suggestions or tips to prevent sea sickness such as patches or bands, etc. Have no problem with it when I travel by air, but not sure how I will do on the open sea.

Get some Bonine start taking it 2 days prior to your trip. I did not think the seas would bother me, and our second night at dinner I had to get up and leave I took the bonine and it never bothered me agin. It does not make you drowsey like some of the other meds can. Enjoy your cruise!!

I can also suggest sea bands. They involve no medication and work when the bead is on the pressure point on your wrist. I'd avoid medication if I can...you don't want to start using stuff with all sorts of side effects, especially if you take other meds.

If you aren't prone to motion sickness, in all likelihood, you'll have no problem on the ship. It can just take a little getting used to.

We totally agree with Renae and have about 2 years of cruising experience to back-up some simple methods. The best way to deal with seasickness is to not get seasick. Once you get sick it can be difficult to get rid of that awful feeling so prevention is the key. Personally, we think that Bonine (Meclizine HCL) is the best over-the-counter product. This drug is also used as a prescription drug (called Antivert) for many middle ear problems and is convenient since you only need to take one a day. Although it can make some folks drowsy, you can avoid that problem by simply taking the pill (the Bonine brand is chewable) at bedtime the night before you first get on the ship. My wfie has shared about 2 years of cruising with me, has never been seasick, but she still takes Bonine the first couple of days of every cruise (and then stops unless the seas are rough) just to be safe. If you have a history of lots of motion sickness you could ask your physician for a script for the Transderm Scop patches (these last 3 days) but these can have some side-effects such as constant dry mouth (makes you want more booze) and sometimes blurring your vision just enough to make reading a problem. The other popular idea is to simply take ginger pills (you can get them at a health food store or drug store) but we saw the results of a blind study that showed ginger is not effective (many would argue this point).

Hank

I agree about using Bonine. I take one each night before I go to bed starting 2 days before the cruise. I continue taking it for the entire cruise. I learned my lesson on a Mexican Riviera cruise, where I stopped taking it about day 5 of an 11 night cruise. The last 2-3 days were awful with really rough seas. It does not work as good if you are already sick.

I guess my question is at the right place in this thread:

I've already been on a cruise about six years ago when I was still a teenager. I didn't have any problems with seasickness. We sailed in the Western Mediterranean, so the sea was not rough at all. In a few days, I'll go on my second cruise, this time in the Eastern Mediterranean. So, my question ist: If I had no problems with sea sickness the first time and if I usually don't get any problems when travelling (train, airplane or whatever), would you agree with me that getting sea sick this time is not to expect?

Ginger Caps...start a day or two before your cruise...then 1 or 2 every meal and for tendering or boat excursions

Ginger Ale

they say Green Apples too..i will be looking for these next cruise

take with me just in case:

sea bands

bonine

motion eaze...

i will be totally prepared

will NEVER EVER NO MATTER WHAT USE THE PATCH...ABSOLUTE WORST:eek:

i had EVERY side effect but the dry-mouth

Going on first cruise in 2 weeks, anybody have suggestions or tips to prevent sea sickness such as patches or bands, etc. Have no problem with it when I travel by air, but not sure how I will do on the open sea.

Bonine and sea bands have worked every time for me. Won't leave home without them.

I guess my question is at the right place in this thread:

I've already been on a cruise about six years ago when I was still a teenager. I didn't have any problems with seasickness. We sailed in the Western Mediterranean, so the sea was not rough at all. In a few days, I'll go on my second cruise, this time in the Eastern Mediterranean. So, my question ist: If I had no problems with sea sickness the first time and if I usually don't get any problems when travelling (train, airplane or whatever), would you agree with me that getting sea sick this time is not to expect?

I would agree with you. If you didn't get seasick the first cruise you were on, unless you're in a terrible storm on your next cruise it's unlikely you would feel seasick.

Luckily I've never been seasick so I don't know what it's like. My sister suffers from seasickness and she can get queasy in a rocking chair! She's tried everything - the patches, Bonine, Dramamine, etc. She claims the most effective for her are the ginger pills that she gets from the health food store! And there seem to be no side effects. She's been on over a dozen cruises so I have to believe they help her.

If you don't usually get motion sickness the ship shouldn't bother you at all. I am prone to motion sickness and I use the scopalomine patch every cruise, much better than getting sick!

I may try the Bonine this cruise and bring along the patches and some nausea medication (script usually used in surgical patients to prevent vomiting after being knocked out) just in case

Any tips for after the cruise. We had a friend wear athe patch through the cruise, but when he removed it experienced motion sickness for next two days. Any ideas or past experiences?

I get reverse motion sickness (get it after I leave the ship but not while on the ship). I continue to take meclizine for at least a few days after a cruise to prevent it. So he could try taking meclizing (Bonine) to counteract that.

I hate to be a " DEBUNKER" but those wrist bands have no science behind them. People wear them dont get sick and think they work. My D.W.bought them for her first cruise, I noticed first thing the button is so small ,where should it go on your wrist. It would be hard to get it in the right place on every person . And your wrist has nothing to do with seasickiness its in the ear. Meds. do work.

Archived