Time needed to leave the ship at arrival ?

Thechamp555

Some would go for such an early flight, but it is risky. Ships do sometimes arrive late to port for a variety of reasons (i.e. mechanical problem, weather issue, diversion due to medical emergency, search for man overboard). More often than this, there are delays due to customs clearing the ship for debarkation - nobody can leave until customs gives the OK. Occasionally problems at the cruise terminal can lead to delays (i.e. a power outage caused debarkation to be delayed by a couple of hours in Ft. Lauderdale a few months ago). If everything goes smoothly, a 10:00am flight can be made, but you have very little wiggle room for delays. I personally would opt for a flight at least after 11:00am to build in some extra cushion for delays. A missed flight can potentially lead to $1,000+ of extra expenses as well as the possibility of being stranded for a day or two.

Our last three X cruises, we didn't start disembarking until after 8:20am. When you add in going through Immigration and Customs, getting to your transportation, long lines to check in at the airport and very long security lines, I think 10 is really taking a chance.

Archived