New Document Wallet

Silver Spectre

Thanks Silver Spectre. This doc wallet simply is not a downgrade, and we have the identical silver box as the last few sailings. If you don't get it, the TA disposed, as someone indicated. I would not do that unless someone asked me to. I know how important the little things like this are.

• 2 weeks later...

I have received mine a few days ago. Actually I don´t know how it was before but this one is much better than the ones of SeaDream, Seabourn or Crystal ones. Mine is burgandy. I love the Silversea box, which is an idea, not seen in any othe luxury cruise company.

The only bad point is not being a pen inside the wallet.

• 3 weeks later...

They seem to have redesigned the document package every few years. In 2004, the box was like a child'd shoebox; in 2007 it was like a cardboard book with a magnetic strip flap; finaaly this year, it is like a small silver cardboard gift box. This year's maroon pouch is zippered and quite well designed. The two leatherette tags are likely for souvenir, and you can use the sticky paper tags instead. There are more printed matter enclosed this year than the last time. (In our case, it even includes a fairly thick booklet called "Silver Shore Journal, Caribbean 2010-2011"). Overall, it is not bad. Perhaps Silversea deliberately keeps changing the packaging so those who cruise more than once can have a collection of different designs!

P.S. While the maroon pouch smells leather like, a tiny piece that flaked off has been examined under a microscope. To us lay cats, the backside of the material appeared (artificial) foamish rather than a natural animal product. However, on the cover of the pouch, the word "SILVERSEA" was not printed, it was machine "thread-stitched" on to the surface. This is a nice, expensive looking touch.

They are careful enough to leave no tag of manufacture. We did not find "PVC made in China" like last time, nor did we find "genuine leather made in Italy". Actually that does not matter, we mention these details just for those curious or interested.

The only bad point is not being a pen inside the wallet.
You can get a Silversea ball pen from the reception desk when you board, and put it in yourself. There is a little "nook" inside your maroon pouch for that purpose. So you have the "fun" of "completing" the package yourself on the ship!

Honestly and justifiably, even with leatherette, the Silversea document package is obviously superior to both Oceania and Celebrity (which we had been on).

I understand that the document pouch is leatherette. . . . but, why does it smell so strongly of leather? This is the first time I've had something that isn't leather feel and smell like leather (outside -- the inside obviously is something other than leather).

Just curious.

I'm actually not so sure that the document wallet isn't leather - it certainly looks, feels and smells like that to me. I must confess that I am a total "handbag snob" (love shoes and bags because they will always fit no matter how much one eats on a cruise), and I think the document wallet is really first rate, particularly with the hand stitching on the cover. It's a keeper:)

I just gave mine to Goodwill last week. It was certainly off-gassing but didn't smell like leather to me at all. The smell was strong enough that it went straight to the Goodwill bin.

Now I'm wondering if I made a mistake. Which is dumb because I have a stack of document wallets upstairs, including my first, a Kenneth Cole that never off-gassed and feels so wonderful in my hand there is no doubt it is leather. Personally, I prefer the cloth SilverSea wallet we got last time, but that's just personal preference. None of the doc wallets I have are used these days, I have too little space in my carry-on for such luxury.

I'd suggest that SilverSea get rid of the whole excess packaging but I love the Silver Boxes far too much to advocate such heresy. To me, they are the lasting sign around my home of the luxury cruise. I store silk scarves in the magnetic closing one, my evening purses in shoe box style one and the third sits on a shelf in my craft room, waiting to let me know how it should be utilized, but in the meantime, looking elegant.

Archived