Doing Positano/Ravello on my own from Naples?

adverb

Hello,

I currently work on the Grand Princess and for the past few months I have wanted to go to Positano. Unfortunately, there are no excursions to there, so it looks like I will have to look elsewhere. I've been trying to put together a group for a private tour for the past few cruises, but I haven't had any luck.

So, I'm currently looking for an excursion that could pick me up from the port of Naples and take me to Positano/Ravello. Since I work on the ship, I'm trying to do it for as little money as I can. The best I found was 300 euros, which is still a little steep. I don't mind sharing a car, but so far I haven't even seen that option. Some tours, elsewhere, have charged a per person rate instead of a total rate.

The other thing i could do - since I am on my own - is go back to Capri and do the blue Grotto. I was unable last time because of how rocky the waters were.

Any advice?

How inexpensively do you want to do this?

If you don't manage to put a group together, you have some options.

You could rent a car and drive yourself.

Using public transit, you can take a Sita bus from Porta Immacolatella (walking distance from the cruise port) to Amalfi, and switch there for a bus to Ravello.

Or you could take the Circumvesuviana train to Sorrento, and take the bus from there.

Keep in mind that this is a long trip by bus, so you'd spend about as much time getting there and back as you will actually being there. Of course, some of that time is driving along the Amalfi Coast highway, which is pretty wonderful.

I'd like to avoid taking public transit if I can, since I'd be going at it alone. Driving a car would not be a good idea, especially along the Amalfi coast, as I haven't driven for several months ;)

I guess it doesn't have to be incredibly cheap, but I was just looking for some kind of tour that might offer a per-person rate.

A very interesting post. On many ships there will be a very experienced CD or other crew member that loves to travel that should be able to give you good advice. But as far as going to Positano, the issue (particularly for the crew) is time. Assuming that you can get the full port day off (unusual for most crew) the way to get to Positano cheaply is to make your way to Sorrento (the Circumvesuviania train) where you can grab the regional SITA bus that will take you along the Amalfi Drive right into Positano. There are also some ocassional jetboats that go from Naples to Positano, but they only run a few times a day and might not fit your schedule. Another idea for the crew is that if you can get a group of 4 you might just want to rent a car and drive. We love driving in this part of Italy....although the issue with Positano is where in the world to park. Many of the Italians (and educated tourists) will actually park along the Amalfi Drive (above the city) where you will see a mile of cars along the road. They then will either walk down into Positano or grab the local Orange bus that is constantly circling through Positano and along the Amalfi Drive.

Hank

Thanks for the idea. How hard it is to get the train into Sorrento? Could I walk to the train station? I know the jet foil stop isn't very far.

A very interesting post. On many ships there will be a very experienced CD or other crew member that loves to travel that should be able to give you good advice. But as far as going to Positano, the issue (particularly for the crew) is time. Assuming that you can get the full port day off (unusual for most crew) the way to get to Positano cheaply is to make your way to Sorrento (the Circumvesuviania train) where you can grab the regional SITA bus that will take you along the Amalfi Drive right into Positano. There are also some ocassional jetboats that go from Naples to Positano, but they only run a few times a day and might not fit your schedule. Another idea for the crew is that if you can get a group of 4 you might just want to rent a car and drive. We love driving in this part of Italy....although the issue with Positano is where in the world to park. Many of the Italians (and educated tourists) will actually park along the Amalfi Drive (above the city) where you will see a mile of cars along the road. They then will either walk down into Positano or grab the local Orange bus that is constantly circling through Positano and along the Amalfi Drive.

Hank

Thanks for the idea. How hard it is to get the train into Sorrento? Could I walk to the train station? I know the jet foil stop isn't very far.

Yes, you can either walk (it's a little over a mile) or take the #1 tram on the street in front of the cruise port to the Porta Nolana Circumvesuviana station on Corso Giuseppe Garibaldi.

empw?url=http:%2F%2Fmaps.google.com%2Fmaps%3Ff%3Dd%26source%3Ds_d%26saddr%3DMolo%2BBeverello,%2B80133%2BNapoli,%2BItaly%26daddr%3DCorso%2BGiuseppe%2BGaribaldi%26geocode%3DFV8kbwIdiIPZACkNQjiQTgg7EzEqYP-7YTcd9w%253BFc5ObwIdA7nZAA%26hl%3Den%26mra%3Dls%26dirflg%3Dw%26doflg%3Dptm%26sll%3D40.84367,14.261945%26sspn%3D0.011947,0.032444%26ie%3DUTF8%26ll%3D40.84367,14.261945%26spn%3D0.01086,0.01441%26output%3Dembed&hl=en&gl=us

Here are the directions and a google map, from the cruise port to the Circumvesuviana station:

1.Head northeast on Molo Beverello 30 ft

2.Turn left to stay on Molo Beverello 89 ft

3.Turn right to stay on Molo Beverello 240 ft

4.Turn left to stay on Molo Beverello 36 ft

5.Turn right at Piazza Municipio 151 ft

6.Continue onto Via Cristoforo Colombo 0.3 mi

7.Continue straight onto Via Nuova Marina 62 ft

8.Slight left to stay on Via Nuova Marina 0.6 mi

9.Turn left at Corso Giuseppe Garibaldi 259 ft

10.Slight left at Piazza Guglielmo Pepe 148 ft

11.Continue onto Corso Giuseppe Garibaldi 0.1 mi

Edited to add: For some reason when the google map is copied and pasted, the route line gets screwed up. Rather than show you the route described above, it just draws a straight line.

Corso Giuseppe Garibaldi

Show on Google Maps

staticmap?size=300x300&maptype=roadmap&sensor=false&path=weight:3%7Ccolor:blue%7Cenc:_fgxFsd_vAeq%40qvAuP%7C%40&client=google-maps-sharing&signature=vXMdG3K2ilCZlzoxtEiChp8Casw=

A fast hydrofoil to Sorrento (from Naples) is also an option and your are correct that the ferry terminal is close to the cruise ships. The issue with the boats are more about the schedule since you can sometimes have to wait more than 2 hours to get a hydrofoil. But if the schedule works those boats make a lot of sense and are actually faster then the train which takes an hour for the ride. You would want a fast hydrofoil which does the trip to Sorrento in about 40 min. However, the train costs about 4 Euros and the hydrofoil is at least 12 Euros.

Hank

• 2 months later...
Hello,

I currently work on the Grand Princess and for the past few months I have wanted to go to Positano. Unfortunately, there are no excursions to there, so it looks like I will have to look elsewhere. I've been trying to put together a group for a private tour for the past few cruises, but I haven't had any luck.

So, I'm currently looking for an excursion that could pick me up from the port of Naples and take me to Positano/Ravello. Since I work on the ship, I'm trying to do it for as little money as I can. The best I found was 300 euros, which is still a little steep. I don't mind sharing a car, but so far I haven't even seen that option. Some tours, elsewhere, have charged a per person rate instead of a total rate.

The other thing i could do - since I am on my own - is go back to Capri and do the blue Grotto. I was unable last time because of how rocky the waters were.

Any advice?

You can do Positano on your own. Take the train from Naples to Sorrento. The bus that goes to Positano is right next to the train station. You can buy the bus ticket for Positano at the train station. I think the buses leave every 30 minutes, or so. Take the bus to Positano. Be sure to find out where to catch the bus for the return trip to Sorrento. Have a wonderful time. Positano is beautiful!

Yes, you can either walk (it's a little over a mile) or take the #1 tram on the street in front of the cruise port to the Porta Nolana Circumvesuviana station on Corso Giuseppe Garibaldi.

empw?url=http:%2F%2Fmaps.google.com%2Fmaps%3Ff%3Dd%26source%3Ds_d%26saddr%3DMolo%2BBeverello,%2B80133%2BNapoli,%2BItaly%26daddr%3DCorso%2BGiuseppe%2BGaribaldi%26geocode%3DFV8kbwIdiIPZACkNQjiQTgg7EzEqYP-7YTcd9w%253BFc5ObwIdA7nZAA%26hl%3Den%26mra%3Dls%26dirflg%3Dw%26doflg%3Dptm%26sll%3D40.84367,14.261945%26sspn%3D0.011947,0.032444%26ie%3DUTF8%26ll%3D40.84367,14.261945%26spn%3D0.01086,0.01441%26output%3Dembed&hl=en&gl=us

We walked to the station the first time we were in Naples. Since then, we have been several more times and we have always taken the #1 tram to the train station. The station sits back some from the road. Be sure to ask a local to tell you when you get to the station. :)

A fast hydrofoil to Sorrento (from Naples) is also an option and your are correct that the ferry terminal is close to the cruise ships. The issue with the boats are more about the schedule since you can sometimes have to wait more than 2 hours to get a hydrofoil. But if the schedule works those boats make a lot of sense and are actually faster then the train which takes an hour for the ride. You would want a fast hydrofoil which does the trip to Sorrento in about 40 min. However, the train costs about 4 Euros and the hydrofoil is at least 12 Euros.

Hank

To expand upons Hanks comments. The hydrofoil he was referring to into Sorrento continues on to Positano. We picked it up last Oct. A return to Sorrento, and on to Naples, could present another problem. To get back to the ship might require a bus to Sorrento and then Circumvesuviana train to Naples. You would have to watch times very carefully.

We did the Positano bus late on a Tuesday afternoon and there was no standing room - jam packed and cozy. There were at least 14-16 that could not get on in Positano. Positano (beachside) to the bus stop is a long, steep climb!

We stayed a week in Positano a few years back and became very familiar with the transportation options along the coast. The easiest way to get to Positano from Naples was the ferry. Here is a link to the schedules. It is doable at a reasonable cost and the ride is beautiful! You can also see the Amalfi schedule which is 1/2 hr further from Positano.

Naples Beverello-Positano

http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=it&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.metrodelmare.net%2Forari-tratte-e-tariffe%2F

Positano- Naples Beverello

http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=it&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.metrodelmare.net%2Forari-tratte-e-tariffe%2F

I see that the links do no take you directly to the schedule. Click on Naples Beverello under "Hours, routes, and rates and Positano for the return.

• 2 months later...
we stayed a week in positano a few years back and became very familiar with the transportation options along the coast. The easiest way to get to positano from naples was the ferry. Here is a link to the schedules. It is doable at a reasonable cost and the ride is beautiful! You can also see the amalfi schedule which is 1/2 hr further from positano.

Naples beverello-positano

http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=it&tl=en&u=http%3a%2f%2fwww.metrodelmare.net%2forari-tratte-e-tariffe%2f

positano- naples beverello

http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=it&tl=en&u=http%3a%2f%2fwww.metrodelmare.net%2forari-tratte-e-tariffe%2f

i see that the links do no take you directly to the schedule. Click on naples beverello under "hours, routes, and rates and positano for the return.

thank you for this wonderful, simple option!!:)

Archived