To those of you living in Bermuda

sarahksmom

Hi Sarahksmom,

It's a long way out, but the best track forecasts available put its CPA to Bermuda on early Sunday morning, to the West and heading North to NorthEast, which means it will be past by Sunday evening and gone by Monday.

Also, and barring extremely unlikely strengthening, it will remain a tropical storm with max winds of 30 to 45 knots. We go out in sailboats in more than that. You will be in a ship the size of Hamilton.

At this time, I can confidently say you have no worries.

Here's the link to the best storm tracker. Click on FIONA on the map to bring up the compound, or average, track, then click the radio button top right to bring all the forecast models. Only one out of ten shows an actual intersection with Bermuda.

http://www.stormpulse.com/

Have Fun!

Right now our weather people are saying it will pass about 200 miles to the southwest of the island this weekend - they don't expect the winds to be too high when she passes. Hard to say whether or not your ship will come in - I imagine depends on the course they plan on following and how well they can stay out of her way. She's supposed to be past the island by the time Monday rolls around. We'll know more about what Fiona is doing closer to the weekend.

You can check out our local weather service's website - www.weather.bm for up to date forecasts or read our local paper online - www.theroyalgazette.com. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you!

Right now our weather people are saying it will pass about 200 miles to the southwest of the island this weekend - they don't expect the winds to be too high when she passes. Hard to say whether or not your ship will come in - I imagine depends on the course they plan on following and how well they can stay out of her way. She's supposed to be past the island by the time Monday rolls around. We'll know more about what Fiona is doing closer to the weekend.

You can check out our local weather service's website - www.weather.bm for up to date forecasts or read our local paper online - www.theroyalgazette.com. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you!

Sousak78 -- You've been such a big help to so many of us planning upcoming trips to Bermuda we wish the best for you and your beautiful home/island as well! I hope everyone on upcoming cruises will be able to have a wonderful vacation. We still have almost 3 weeks -- hoping the weather clears out for our sake as well!

Thank you mom4travel as one who is supposed to be visiting beautiful Bermuda on NCL Spirit on Sunday. I believe we'll be losing a day on this cruise perhaps, coming into port on Monday instead. That's after getting out of Boston and around Hurricane Earl supposedly on Friday! :eek:

I wish all the best for everyone in Bermuda, but this one looks like it won't be so bad. :)

Thank you mom4travel as one who is supposed to be visiting beautiful Bermuda on NCL Spirit on Sunday. I believe we'll be losing a day on this cruise perhaps, coming into port on Monday instead. That's after getting out of Boston and around Hurricane Earl supposedly on Friday! :eek:

I wish all the best for everyone in Bermuda, but this one looks like it won't be so bad. :)

we leave Bayonne on Sunday on Summit & hope to be there Tues..hope all goes well!

Ps your beloved cat was so beautiful

we leave Bayonne on Sunday on Summit & hope to be there Tues..hope all goes well!

Ps your beloved cat was so beautiful

Thank you ...I miss her so much still.

Good luck to you too....looks like you'll have some great weather for departure on Sunday. Still no word from NCL on our departure tomorrow, but it's not looking good.

UPDATE: Latest weather report now has Fiona passing us by at 11nautical miles to the NW on Saturday morning. Looks like it will be nasty out on Saturday morning :(. Ships arriving Monday and Tuesday should be fine - beauty of these storms is they usually clear all the bad weather out of the area as they go by so you should, in theory, have great weather for your visit!

Thanks to everyone for their good wishes. Our houses are built using good, solid materials like concrete block and rebar (lots of it) so we can handle these storms. The gardens and trees will probably take a thrashing though.

Good luck to those on (or sailing from) the East Coast - hope Earl doesn't cause you too much trouble!

P.S. Thanks mom4travel, I'm always happy to help!

Fiona fell apart and wasn't much by the time she passed by. Apparently we had quite the lightning show at 4am (which the dog and I slept through) and that was it. When I woke up this morning it was bright, sunny and breezy and hasn't changed since. We're very lucky here in Bermuda.

Fiona fell apart and wasn't much by the time she passed by. Apparently we had quite the lightning show at 4am (which the dog and I slept through) and that was it. When I woke up this morning it was bright, sunny and breezy and hasn't changed since. We're very lucky here in Bermuda.

Great! Glad to hear all went well for you. Keep the island beautiful for us to come see it soon -- 2 weeks!

In Bermuda, they always say it's going to rain on the weather reports. If it does rain, it doesn't tend to last very long - joke here is if you don't like the weather, wait 10 minutes. They predicted unsettled weather for this weekend and it only rained once this afternoon (just as I lit the BBQ, of course) but there were clear skies again a little while later.

However, we do need the rain (that's our drinking water, water for washing, etc.) but, I'll keep my fingers crossed that it will be sunny during the day and rain at night :)

Archived