Safety in Rio and elsewhere

NDRB

After reading some of the posts on these boards and reading travel books, I am extremely concerned about theft in Rio.

Just how bad is it in places like Copacabana and genarally walking around toursity places like Sugarloaf or shops? I would really hate not to be able to take my cameras out and about with me!

I could do without wearing any jewelry, but my video and still camera??

Do we really have to carry secondary wallets with us to hand over to the prevalent thieves??

How about other cities on the cruise, like Buenos Aires?

Nina

Just how bad is it in places like Copacabana and genarally walking around toursity places like Sugarloaf or shops? I would really hate not to be able to take my cameras out and about with me!

I could do without wearing any jewelry, but my video and still camera??

Do we really have to carry secondary wallets with us to hand over to the prevalent thieves??

How about other cities on the cruise, like Buenos Aires?

We spent four days in Rio before our cruise on HAL Amsterdam in December.

We used "reasonable caution"- no flashing rolls of money, no gaudy jewelry etc. We felt extremely safe walking around on Cococabana and Ipanema, as well as Sugerloaf and Corcovada. I wore my watch and carried two cameras. I did not carry a purse. I wore my passport and money in a pouch around my neck, under my clothing. Same for Buenos Aires, Montevideo and Santiago. We didn't stay in Valparaiso. We were on full day private tours in BA and Rio, but spent part of several days walking up and down the beach areas in Rio on our own.

Karen

We just returned from the Santiago-Buenos Aires cruise. We didn't have any problems until Buenos Aires. We were walking down the main street with our friends (4 of us). My husband is a very large man with wide shoulders 6'2". We were sprayed on the back of out clothes and then these 3 young (20ish) people came over, one girl, and started pointing up and handing my husband kleenex to wipe with. They sprayed the men on their back pockets, and the women on our shoulder straps of our purses. Trying to rob us as they helped clean you off. Luckily, we left all jewelry and watches on the ship. Anyway, we shooed them away, but it ruined our clothes and definitely put a damper on our day. Be careful of this scam. We had a great trip and didn't fall for their little game.

Vicki

I'm used to having to worry about pickpockets and "distractions" by thieves, but it's the violent (armed) crime that concerns me.

I've thought about investing in a bag with a wire cable (to protect against the slash and run variety of criminals), but is it a mistake to take any kind of a bag?

I've been all over Europe, and in Russia and China and New York, and my routine of wearing my shoulder bag across my chest and putting a combination lock on the zipper has worked well to this point, but if someone points a gun at me...

I have a lot of "things" that I have nicely organized in my bag (including extra camera batteries, cards, camcorder tapes, some personal items, small umbrella, etc.) and don't think I could stuff all this (along with my cameras) in a couple of inside pockets in a jacket (I haven't seen any vests that would work for me, and money belts always seem to show through my clothing).

Hmmmm, I'm just not sure how far to take this precautionary posture.... I don't imagine that we'll venture off the beaten track and I guess we'll just be on alert all the time (a little hard if you're taking photos or examining items for purchase, though)...

What do think think about having a secondary wallet to hand over in case of a robbery??

Nina

Hi Nina,

Sound like you are much more prepared than the average American tourist.

I go to South America 3-4 times per year on business (mostly Chile and Peru) and you would not believe the things I have seen. And then people wonder why they have problems. Everyone seems to forget that a LOT of South America is VERY, VERY poor and and the poor look at most foreigners as RICH. And from the way some people dress and act, they are RICH, even to my standards. One lady, a couple weeks ago, standing in the Lima airport with more jewelry than a lot of jewelry stores and a very conspicous Kate Spade (real) bag hanging off her arm. I certainly hope she either took some of the jewelry off before she flew to Cusco OR had a private driver and car at her disposal her entire trip. If nothing else happened, she would have been bugged to death by the kids and touts, just from her appearance.

One thing I have learned in my travels-DON'T wear white tennies. It really marks you as an AMERICAN tourist. Find a decent pair of walking shoes or if you must have tennies, get some black ones. Sit in a cafe and look around. My DH and I did this as an experiment at the Hard Rock in London. Everyone who had on white tennies was from the USA. We asked to confirm our beliefs.

To put my post in perspective-I do not like Rio. Too dirty, too corrupt. That said, you will be generally safe going to the statue and Corcavado. On the beaches-don't walk around alone at night. In a group MAY be OK, but not just a couple. DON'T wander off the beaten path. My DH and I (he does not go with me on my business trips-this was vacation) were in Rio 3 years ago together and he had to pee. We were at the Sunday "Hippie Fair". Couldn't find anyplace, so he said let's just go a couple of streets over and he would find an alley. One block off the beaten path and we both KNEW we were someplace we shouldn't be. Turned around and sure enough, there were about four or 5 guys following. Pushed right through them and went into a restaurant we spotted, paid for food we did not eat, so he could use the john. Don't want to even think about what would have happened if we would have kept going.

I think your precautions are VERY good. I probably go a little over the top, but I only travel with credit card, DL and $100.00 bill stuck in between insoles in my shoes. Camera and everything else in a bag over my chest. That stuff is insured and can be replaced. I do carry a "travel wallet" easily accessible in a pocket, filled with all those crappy freebie credit cards you get in the mail and about $10.00 in ones. Fortunately, I have never had to use it, but if I do, I will not give it up-I WILL THROW IT. Should give me a miniscule amount of time to escape the situation.

Enjoy!!!

Nina,

I agree with GreatAM and simply do not like Rio. Both times I was there I felt like I couldn't relax for a second and had to be uptight and onguard every moment. I was in Rio earlier this week and on Sunday went to the hippie market. I wouldn't stray from there, even for a block. We had a guide/driver take us there and out of there.

Buenos Aires, IMHO, is alot safer. Yes, things happen there, but not to the magnitude as in Rio. I carried my hangbag with me in BA, but kept my money and credit cards in a money belt under my clothes. I kept about $50. in cash in my purse so I didn't have to go to the money belt for every small purchase and I kept my camera in my handbag and wasn't nervous about using it in public places. Of course, I kept my handbag close to me at all times.

In Rio, I only brought my camera when we were with a guide.

BTW, the mustard/paint scam can happen anywhere. It's happened to my father twice, once in LA and once in Miami.

Jane

Well, Rio was "interesting" when my husband and I were there as newlyweds in 1983, but it sounds like it things have gotten far worse. You'd think they would try to improve security to attract more tourists and hence more $$$$s...

I suppose it was a mistake to spend two pre-cruise nights there, but we can't change plans now. Oh wellllll!!!!!

I guess I'll just have to wear my windbreaker (with two internal pockets) even if it is approaching 80 degrees (early April) and invest in a couple of cheapo wallets and not venture too far from the hotel in Copacabana (fortunately we saw Sugar Loaf and Corcavado when we were there before).

Do they allow little spray cans of Mace in your checked luggage, or will we end up in jail if we tried to use it?

Nina

Caution is the word. People on our cruise last week were mugged in front of restaurant at lunch time.. of course the lady was sporting a Rolex watch...hummmm

a couple gals who worked on the ship were mugged at the port.. back packs stolen and pretty beat up ( they were kids.. so anyone can be a target)..I left all jewelry on the ship and didn't carry much money and only one credit card when we went off ship.

<Caution is the word. People on our cruise last week were mugged in front of restaurant at lunch time.. of course the lady was sporting a Rolex watch...hummmm

a couple gals who worked on the ship were mugged at the port.. back packs stolen and pretty beat up ( they were kids.. so anyone can be a target)..I left all jewelry on the ship and didn't carry much money and only one credit card when we went off ship.>>

So, what did the people nearby do when these things were going on? Did they just pretend not to see anything? Were the muggers armed?

Were there no police anywhere???

How did the second batch of muggers even get down to the port area- usually there are security gates that one must pass through to get to the actual ships? Does that mean you could be mugged as you are waiting in line to board the ship?

You'd really think that TPTB in Rio would try to do something to protect the tourists (aka the geese that lay the golden eggs)....

Nina

Nina,

No one pays any attention in Rio. And IMHO, the government does not much like America or Americans. I truly believe the photographing and fingerprinting of Americans at the airport was done for spite, NOT reciprocity, as was stated in their public releases.

Around Copa, there is such a CLASH of rich and poor (the favela's (poorest of the poor areas) are within walking distance. With the language barrier and the lack of interest from the police, you do not feel very protected and I sure wouldn't count on their help.

The port area is very large. Once you get close to your ship, there is security, but depending where your ship docks in the port area, you may have to negotiate some distance before you reach the secure areas.

Just be careful. You definitely are better prepared than most.

Gina

We spent six days in Rio last December before our cruise. Despite walking all over the place shopping and touring during the daylight hours we never felt threatened in any way. In the evening we took cabs to various restaurants and again, never felt in harms way. We took all the normal precautions one would take in any large city. Take care but enjoy! It's a beautiful city.

<<We spent six days in Rio last December before our cruise. Despite walking all over the place shopping and touring during the daylight hours we never felt threatened in any way. In the evening we took cabs to various restaurants and again, never felt in harms way. We took all the normal precautions one would take in any large city. Take care but enjoy! It's a beautiful city.>>

That is encouraging! Where did you stay? You saw no evidence of muggers/people being mugged?

Nina

Nina--we also stayed on Copa for two nights pre-cruise last month. We walked (daytime) the Copacabana area, taxied to Corcovado and to restaurants each evening. (Do try chiarascurro at Porcao's overlooking Sugarloaf!) I wore only my wedding ring and we both wore cheap watches. Yes, caution and good common sense about large cities is wise, but we saw NO muggings, spraying, or even begging. We found police presence along Av. Atlantica to be reassuring. Rio is huge, has great contrasts between wealth and poverty (as does, for instance, NYC) but you cannot capture the flavor of a city confined to your hotel.

• 2 weeks later...

Nina:

We stayed at the Marina Plaza Hotel in Leblon. We walked all over Leblon and Impanema and didn't see anything untoward. In fact, we never saw what could be called a "street person" and were not approached for money. Policemen were stationed on the beach about every 500 yards. I hear more sirens in my home town than I did in Rio. Of course,we dressed "down" and did not take any foolish chances. Have a great time; I know you'll enjoy the city.

Jim

I stayed at the Sofitel on Copa beach...same experience as others have shared. Dress down, no obvious jewelry or expensive watches, don't walk alone. We (a group of women) even did something that was probably stupid...we walked back to Copa from a restaurant about a 20 minute walk away - saw a few loiterers but other than a few comments in Portugese, no problems. Our hotel doorman put us in taxis when we needed them and spoke to the taxi driver to get the fare predetermined for us. Only problem was that we rarely had a driver who spoke English at all so it was a bit nerve wracking to be transported by someone we couldn't speak with in a city we didn't know. No problems at all...enjoy...it's a beautiful city with lots to see and do and we found the locals delightful and helpful.

Sheila

FYI, the pool water is COLD. Buffet breakfast is excellent...fruits amazing. When you check in bargain for a coupon for a free drink at the bar....make sure you try a Ciparina..the local drink, similar to a Margarita but made with sugar cane liquor...very cheap. I brought some home as gifts for about $2/bottle at a local grocery store and still make them for friends as a treat. You can get the recipe at the same store. Also try to get a room overlooking Copacabana beach. We found service in the hotel to be very good and most people speak English reasonably well ( a lot better than our Portugese! If you're there on a Sunday, get directions to taxi to the street fair..can't remember the name but only a short distance away - great buys on purses, belts, shoes and local crafts as well as very cheap Tee shirts (but watch the quality). Also if you're in the market for gems, prices and quality were excellent. I had no intention of buying, but did and love the memories that my necklace brings me! Have a great time. Oh, if you're a walker....hundreds of people walk on the sidewalk next to the beach every morning early - it's quite festive and there are wonderful sand scultures along the beach....

Sheila

Sheila,

Thanks for all that information re the Sofitel and Rio. We are members of the Sofitel Club and apparently we get upgraded to a good room plus we receive a free drink on arrival. We will be there for 3 nights but leaving after the first two for the falls and then returning for the last night. We are also walkers so will enjoy that part of the experience.

You mentioned you bought a necklace. Do you mind me asking what type of necklace you bought and did it have any emeralds or gems in it? I hadn't thought about jewellery only leather from either Buenos Aires or Montevideo.

Jennie

My birthstone is Topaz and you can only mine them in Brazil - come in many colors and price is color dependent. I bought a mid-range deep gold pendant and love it - brings back memories of my trip besides looking good. Good buys on the stones alone if you wish to have settings done at home. Emeralds, aquamarines also good buys (folks who knew value said that, I'm not an expert). I can't remember which of the many lovely jewelers I bought from but will look. Stern has a booth right off the lobby at the Sofitel. They provide transportation to their luxurious showrooms -- it's worth looking at the stones (and some have small gem museums as well) even if you're not buying.

My birthstone is Topaz and you can only mine them in Brazil - come in many colors and price is color dependent. I bought a mid-range deep gold pendant and love it - brings back memories of my trip besides looking good. Good buys on the stones alone if you wish to have settings done at home. Emeralds, aquamarines also good buys (folks who knew value said that, I'm not an expert). I can't remember which of the many lovely jewelers I bought from but will look. Stern has a booth right off the lobby at the Sofitel. They provide transportation to their luxurious showrooms -- it's worth looking at the stones (and some have small gem museums as well) even if you're not buying.

Just remember Topaz is very sensitive to light, and after prolonged exposure the colors can return to a lighter clear color.

jc

Archived