Naples: Archaeological Museum

maggie3

We want to explore Naples on foot this fall. Is the Archaeological Museum still half empty? Is there anything currently in there from Pompeii that we should see anyway, or would make it worth the cost of the admission fee? Would hope to hear from cruisers who may have just returned. Thanks so much.

I just read a review from another cruising website. The reviewer said that, while a good portion of the museum is still closed for renovation, they were still able to see the frescoes and found objects from Pompeii, sculptures from Herculaneum, and also the wonderful Farnese sculptures. (The Farnese sculptures are a group of wonderful sculptures of heroic proportions that originally were created for the Baths of Caracalla in Rome; they are fantastic.)

For those things alone, I still think the museum would be well worth visiting!

Thank you, Eileen, for the wonderful pictures and Cynthia for the good advice. Eileen, would you recommend we try to take the metro to Vomero for the Villa Floridiana? I have not read about that in my research. How long did it take to get up there? Is there a huge admission fee?

The Villa wasn't open it was more of a park. I wouldn't recomend it if you haven't seen the other great things in Naples. This was our fourth visit and the middle of a very port intensive cruise so we just had an easy day. The metro ride was only about 15 minutes.

We were there in early June and one of the things we like best was the Pompii miniture made in the 1800's.

IMG_1488.jpg?psid=1

The rest of our pictures are here. http://cid-1e98e90214e77bf9.photos.live.com/browse.aspx/Naples%20%20Magic%20cruise

Eileen - splendid photos of the MANN (Museo Archeological Nationale di Napoli). Makes me want to be there right this minute (but I have to wait 2 months). Obviously they allow flash because you used it on "the bull."

• 1 year later...

We just returned from a Crown Princess cruise Jul 22, 2012. Our stop in Naples -the Archeological Museum is fully open and has most of the treasures of Pompeii. YOU CAN WALK TO IT FROM THE PORT. You don't need taxi or bus. Probably a 25 minute easy walk. A world class museum, must see!

The museum was mostly open when I was there in early April (please note that this thread was originally started in 2010). I think only a few rooms of their Egyptian collection were closed.

The museum is definitely a treasure house of items from all the Roman sites in the area (Pompeii, Herculaneum, the several villas, etc.) and some masterpieces from Rome as well. The frescoes alone are worth the visit.

Do be aware, though, that at any given time work might be ongoing and one or a few rooms may be closed.

The museum was mostly open when I was there in early April (please note that this thread was originally started in 2010).

Thanks for pointing out the original date on this thread, I hadn't noticed that. We were there at the end of June 2012 and wanted to see the model of Pompeii, but that part was closed.

I just read a review from another cruising website. The reviewer said that, while a good portion of the museum is still closed for renovation, they were still able to see the frescoes and found objects from Pompeii, sculptures from Herculaneum, and also the wonderful Farnese sculptures. (The Farnese sculptures are a group of wonderful sculptures of heroic proportions that originally were created for the Baths of Caracalla in Rome; they are fantastic.)

For those things alone, I still think the museum would be well worth visiting!

Just got back on July 13th, and I can assure you, that 95% of the museum was open. There was only 1 piece that we were not able to see (listed in EyeWitness as the Top 10 to see in the museum)---and it was no big deal.

The "Secret Rooms" were all open--no apointment needed, and don't pay attention to Rick Steve's when he says that the museum is dirty etc.. It IS true, though, that it is haphazardly arranged. Go thru the whole museum--nobody rushes you....They have the absolute most magnificent vase on display in the rooms where the plates, etc.. are...This museum is such a gem....You should practically have the place to yourself as ev'body bypasses Naples.....

Just got back on July 13th, and I can assure you, that 95% of the museum was open. There was only 1 piece that we were not able to see (listed in EyeWitness as the Top 10 to see in the museum)---and it was no big deal.

The "Secret Rooms" were all open--no apointment needed, and don't pay attention to Rick Steve's when he says that the museum is dirty etc.. It IS true, though, that it is haphazardly arranged. Go thru the whole museum--nobody rushes you....They have the absolute most magnificent vase on display in the rooms where the plates, etc.. are...This museum is such a gem....You should practically have the place to yourself as ev'body bypasses Naples.....

Just as a note -- the post of mine that you reference is from 2010. My later post on this thread clarifies that most of the museum is now open. :cool:

We are planning to visit this in late Oct, so I'm glad to hear it is mostly open and worthwhile to see. How long did you stay at the museum? And for those who stayed in Naples for the day, what else did you visit?

We are planning to visit this in late Oct, so I'm glad to hear it is mostly open and worthwhile to see. How long did you stay at the museum? And for those who stayed in Naples for the day, what else did you visit?

We stayed until we saw everything--all of the floors except the Egyptian things. I think it was about 3 or so hours, maybe a little more, depending on how long you look at everything or what grabs your interest. Make sure you go the the "Secret Rooms" and also the floor that has the cups, vases, etc. It's amazing what these people did and had. This museum is such a gem...

On the 2nd day in Naples (1 day we took the train from Rome to the museum), we went to the Palazzo Reale-- 4 euro per person and it included an audio guide. Took about 1 hour or so. We wanted to tour the Teatro San Carlo (closed :( until September). From there, it was an 8 euro cab ride to Capella San Severo, (do the research on this--it's wort it), then wanted to find a pizza place--which turned out to be Sorbillo--birthplace of pizza. I really wanted Da Michele, but got side tracked....

We were there about 2 hours, could easily have spent more time, it is a wonderful museum and building. Have some pizza at Antonio e Antonio in downtown Naples while you're there, best pizza I've ever had!:)

Archived