train from Dover to Gatwick

zetnic

We are returning to Gatwick on June 4 from Dover and would like to know if there is a train direct from Dover Priory to Gatwick or does it have to go into London? If so do you know the web site to check the times and prices.

Thanks, Janice

There aren't any direct trains, but you don't have to go into London either. Nevertheless, the most convenient connections may well be via London Victoria, because the fast trains from Dover to Victoria, where you can change to the Gatwick Express which is also fast (non-stop, in fact) from Victoria to Gatwick. The cross-country trains tend to be slower, and you may have to change more than once.

You can look up train times at the National Rail website, and both times and fares at the Trainline or qjump. Be aware, though, that both of those sites are now owned by the same company - but it's still useful to have both links because sometimes one set of servers goes down when the other lot are still working.

Janice:

Two years ago I was travelling back from the continent on the ferry link from Calais to Dover and needed to get to Gatwick fast to catch a plane. I recall it was about GBP 80 to go from the pier directly to Gatwick by taxi, I think it took between an hour and 90 minutes.

For 2 or more travelling together, a taxi might make sense.

Archived